What were your first amp modelers?

My first was in 1984. A Boss HA-5 running through a tube stereo receiver built by a friend's father. I still have the HA-5 in my closet and it still works. It's the Boss version of a Rockman but with adjustable gain and eq and selectable chorus or delay. It also had the ability to connect to another one using a headset with built in mic, with what they called the Playbus interface for silent practice. They were a cool little unit, I was surprised they weren't super popular. The chorus sounded so good through that old stereo.

Since then I've used the Line-6 desktop interface, Korg Pandora PX4, Eleven Rack, and Yamaha THR-10C.

Does a Roland Bass Cube count as a modeler? I think I used that amp because of its XLR output to go directly into a mixer I was using. I must have used that setup, guitar -> pedals -> Bass Cube -> mixer -> headphone from the mid 90's until the late 00's as my home setup. And for most of that time it was my only setup, sadly enough. I also used a Boss GX-700 unit in that chain as well, I think I even used its preamp on a couple of home recordings.

After that came the Pod XT Pro, Pocket Pod, Pod HD-500, AMT F1 and SS-30 preamp pedals and then finally the XL+.

Started with a ZOOM 4040 back in '99-'00, then went to Digitech GNX 3 (before, I had a BOSS GT-3 for a while, but absolutely hated it), Line 6 Flextone III, POD HD 500X and now FAS AX8. Soon there will be an Axe Fx III and Kemper Rack if they happen to release a MK II.

Vox ToneLab SE (still have it)

My first digital modeler (after using several MIDI tube preamps over the years - JMP-1, Digitech Twin Tube, Rocktron Piranha, ART-SGX-2000) was a Yamaha DG-1000...the double rack version with the motorized knobs.

I then used a Vox ToneLab SE for several years before I got the Axe-FX Ultra, then the II, and now an AX8.

The Tonelab SE is a great all-in-one unit; I've used it direct into FRFR and with a tube amp and still use it to this day . It's also my backup rig (it sounds pretty good thru my CLR's). Solid unit, built like a tank, decent FX, easy to use, sturdy robust dual expression pedals. I've seen/heard Rick Emmett and Pat Travers use one live and they both sounded awesome thru it. I talked to both of them about it; Emmett loved the amp sims, particularly the Marshall 68 Plexi. He used that thru a Fender Twin type of amp for his main tone when I saw him. Travers used it strictly for the FX into a Marshall/4x12. Very cool device....

A.R.T. SGX-2000 with XR-15 pedal

I had both of those devices and still have the XR-15 (with the freaky cosmic paint job heh).

Zoom 9030 -- that thing rocked. Actually tried to re-buy one about 6-7 years ago and they were going for stupid money (>$200).

Started out with a rockman sustainer, then went to a Johnson j station, then through all iterations of the line 6 pod stopping at the hd500. numerous plugins. Then I picked up my axe fxII MKII, then a axe fxII XL+, and now the III.

My first rack-mount guitar preamp/processor was a Gallien-Krueger 100 MPL, followed by a Rocktron Voodu Valve. My first digital modeler was a Roland GP-100. From there, I made the jump to an Axe-Fx Ultra. The rest is history.

Last edited:
Chronologically I went from
Digitech RP1000
POD HD500
Atomic Amplifire
AX8
Axe FX3

There were a couple attempts at going back to real tube amps mixed in, but my FAS gear has cured me of that for good.

POD 2 (first one)
POD XT (still own)
POD X3
Pocket POD (still own)
Toneport/Pod Farm (still own)
L6 Spider Jam
L6 Flextone 3
L6 Vetta + floorboard
AX8 (still own)
+ a bunch of software VSTs

...wow that was more than I thought. Only the AX8 get used on a semi daily basis. (And the pocket pod is still cool to go with my travelling guitar)

I still use the Boss GX700 (FX only tho - no cab or amp sims) and Marshall JMP-1 with a Mesa 50/50 in my old 'trad' rig. The GX700's rear input blew up so I drilled a hole in the rack mount to allow a cable and run it to the JMP-1 loop from the front input - it's still a great wee rig to play.

My first 'modeller' was a Line 6 XT Pod floor thing ..... then a Vetta II ...... both of these put me off the idea of modelling products for many years until the Axe-FX Std started making waves

Back
Top Bottom