What weird tunings do you have your guitars in?

CADGBD has stuck with me as my favorite alt tuning. It's great for acoustic. Open G is another favorite. I'm really enjoying the PITCH BLOCK now for standard tuning raised and lowered!

I have all sorts of tunings basically from standard E down the semitones to C standard and the 7 string in ADADGBE.
Different tunings is my main ploy when the wife asks why I need to buy more guitars 😉

For acoustic love the DAEAEE (Goo Goo Dolls "Name") tuning...just try it. You can play rock, jazz, blue-grass, and even the Rain Song in it-the B and E strings tuned both to high E's sound like the high end of 12 string with the low E tuned down to D makes for a very interesting and inspiring tuning. I have always enjoyed watching other players discovering this tuning as everyone seems to come up with something different. It is very uncommon compared to others mentioned here.

Standard. The Frank Gambale tuning it interesting because the notes are the same but the octaves are not allowing piano voicings without crazy stretches .

The vast majority of the time I'm in standard E to E tuning. I also take one guitar to gigs tuned a half step low for a few songs we do in Eb. (I might start using the Virtual Capo for those songs eventually.) I tune on the spot for Dropped D on One Headlight by the Wallflowers and use my Roland GR-55 to get DAEAEE for Name by the Goo Goo Dolls. I use the Virtual Capo to tune up half a step (F - F) for You Wreck Me by Tom Petty.

Tinkered with going to perfect fourths tuning recently to make improvisation easier, but, in the end, decided that the "kink" in standard tuning should be manageable even for my old brain, and that the chord adjustments P4 tuning rquires are not worth the effort.

Aside from good old drop D. I've written and recorded a bunch of stuff in what I call dropped A Standard. The A to the high E are just standard tuning, while the low E is tuned a full octave down from the adjacent A string. I'll throw either an .056 or .058 on the low A.

Back
Top Bottom