What was your first Digital Modeler?

Not sure if you can classify the Roland GP-8/GP-16 as 'modelers', but since they had "distortion", I suppose in a roundabout sense they were. I got the 8, then subsequently the 16 back in the late 80's early, 90's. Think the distortion they listed as an effect was more in line with a pedal than an amp though.

Some of you guys are killing me with your nostalgic talk and the good tones you could get. I also have fond remembrances of former modelers, but after getting my Fractal, if I had to step back to that, it would feel so lifeless now (despite what I thought at the time).

Sort of like going back to a crazy ex-girlfriend because you forgot about the crazy and only remembered the good times....

View attachment 96910
It’s the crazy that makes the boom-boom so good.

My first was a zoom 9002 in the 80s. This was always for Home practice and scratch tracks.
I tried the Tom Sholtz stuff and could never bond with any of them. I still have my zoom in the studio storage.

Once I got my racks in the later 80s (after using Marshall and Crate heads) I never looked back.

I had an ADA in 87 and the Marshall 9002 in 89 then the JMP-1 in late 91 (just before release) and my own signature JMP-1 in 93. I was also carrying the Bogner fish for all my leads (2 of everything since I had a back up rack). All powered by a pair of Marshall 9200 power amps.

It wasn't until 2008 or 2009 that I grabbed an Avid eleven rack (because it came with a free upgrade to pro tools, for less than the cost of pro tools). The Elven rack was frustrating except for the Vox and the Fender amps.

Then I had the Kemper in 2011 or 2012, and had that until I got the Axe Fx 3 last April. I had too many oddities with the Kemper (strange sounding mids after a capture, not just me either; fake sounding high end and rolling off much higher then you should.... Plus more).

I Tried the DV-Mark Multiamp in 2014 which I really liked, however once you start trying to duplicate tones from your other amps, it gets odd spikes in certain FREQUENCIES. Even working with support they understand the issue and couldn't figure out a fix with the way it is designed. They recommend putting a 31 band eq in front of it. I returned it after 3 weeks with it. It sound and feel really good (yes just like a real amp).

Now I have the Axe FX3 and love it. I was able to exactly duplicate my rack tones (including my Bogner Fish & Marshall 9200 with the TC 2290 delays for leads). The JMP-1 for my rhythm tones has just finally come close with the 19.02 firmware. I don't think I will be switching to another modeller/profiler after my experience with the Fractal AX3.

James

My first own modeling device was a Line6 POD, I ordered in december 1998, got it in january 1999 - one of the first units in switzerland. I wrote an article about it for a local music magazine but the article was never released for the public, because the magazine went out of business.... :( I sold the unit a few months later and got myself a Korg Pandora PX-3 portable fx unit. Still have it today, still works....

in 2006, I bought a PODxt which I replaced with an AxeFx Standard in 2008. 2013 with an AxeFx II Mk2 which I sold in 2017, now I'm re-joining the FAS community

live, I play my Princeton Reverb together with my Casanoverdrive Mk2 pedal and a TC flashback delay.....nothing else.....

1645989526154.png Sold
1645989543385.pngStill use it
1645989761518.pngStill use it
1645990005127.pngStill use it
1645990400614.png#1 use.
I use the Boss pedals in my jam space for musicians who drop by to jam. Grab a guitar off the wall, plug in and go.
The GT-1000 is also my AxeIII backup. Not that I'll ever need to use it :tonguewink:

I gotta ask. ;p What did you all run your Modellers into back then? I pre amped my ZOOM 9002 into my Buddies old 100 watt Super Lead. Just a little, went a longggggg way. Now, I HAD to turn off most effects. Cause they sounded azz.... when ya just want a more pure guitar into amp tone. Then I`d look in those old Guitar Player mags and see Angus Youngs amp settings for example that the Writer would try to nail. Surprisingly, I got a fantastic amp sound doing this with the 9002. Always used just enough distortion to excite the amp. No more. That old ZOOM dialed back..... pre amped in the Super Lead..... out into 2 212 slant monitor cabs loaded with Greenbacks.... really rocked.

I heard another guy pre amped his Rockman into the front end of his Marshall, and it rocked as well.

I gotta ask. ;p What did you all run your Modellers into back then?
I have not used an amp since the 80's. Last one I owned was a LabSeries. Always direct to PA and what ever monitors were being used at the time. If I heard a recording now I may not be impressed, but looking back those were the best of times. I was too lazy, even back then, to lug around a heavy amp. The PA's back then were bad enough. Bigger was better.. right:)

View attachment 97064 Sold
View attachment 97065Still use it
View attachment 97066Still use it
View attachment 97068Still use it
View attachment 97071#1 use.
I use the Boss pedals in my jam space for musicians who drop by to jam. Grab a guitar off the wall, plug in and go.
The GT-1000 is also my AxeIII backup. Not that I'll ever need to use it :tonguewink:
Interesting that you continue to use multiple other floor modelers. I can see hanging onto one for portability, but just curious why not only the GT-1000? Can't it cover the ground the others do?

Behringer V-amp, which at the time I thought was pretty cool. Almost forgot, I had to Korg ToneWorks as well. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
My first was the original Vox tone lab- a little blue box that sat on my desktop. Honestly, I liked it! I later upgraded to the Tonelab SE, which was a larger floorboard- two expression pedals built in, plenty of switches, and a funny little plexiglass hatch that you could see a glowing 12ax7 in. For the time, it was pretty good.
Unknown.jpeg

Amusingly I just plugged back in my Bass Pod XT Pro, it's still pretty good as an effects unit.
I spoke too soon here - right after I said this, the thing just quit working entirely. Check out the pic - these capacitors have seen better days.

Luckily, they're pretty easy to replace, and it's back to working order again, and back in my rack providing effects for bass when I don't have a preset setup for simultaneous guitar and bass inputs.

IMG_20220225_110603.jpg

If I remember correctly my first experience with digital amp/speaker modelers was the Roland VS-880. As for modelers that were for performing it was the VG-88 and then the L6 POD. I liked the L6 at first but decided I wanted better effects so I traded it for a Boss GT-6. Traded the 6 for a GT-8. And then I started hearing about this new little company called Fractal Audio and now I'm the happiest I've ever been with my sound!

Back
Top Bottom