What was your first Digital Modeler?

I'm starting to see some YT vids (specifically recall one on the red kidney bean) about how those modelers were actually pretty good. Don't know how you do that with a straight face. Yes, it may have seemed great at the time, but so was Atari Pong at one point! It's fun to reminisce once in awhile, but I don't want to go back to that! :p

Nostalgia makes a fool out of everyone sooner or later, but mostly later. :)

You can definitely coax some usable tones out of many of them. I'd wager you could play live (in a band setting) in many situations and no one would know the difference.

Pretty sure @Ugly Bunny mentioned a week or so ago that a guitar player in his
band uses one to this day. Not sure anyone should be testing that "no one would
ever know" theory and live to tell the tale, though. ;)

ART SGE Mach II. The most unreliable and biggest POS I’ve ever owned. Used to lockup regularly , I sent it back to the factory twice to get it fixed under warranty. Still locked up.

1645588513988.jpeg

Zoom had one where the expression pedal went side to side as well as up / down - to this day I think that's a pretty cool idea
I had a Zoom G9.2tt. The 'tt' stood for twin tubes. It had three pedals. Two traveled vertically and the third traveled horizontally. It could actually get some nice tones. It was just heavy and large. Glad I never had to replace the tubes; it was a neat idea though.

1645589091734.png

I had a Zoom G9.2tt. The 'tt' stood for twin tubes. It had three pedals. Two traveled vertically and the third traveled horizontally. It could actually get some nice tones. It was just heavy and large. Glad I never had to replace the tubes; it was a neat idea though.

View attachment 96762

That's what my friend had before his Helix. I got to hear it a lot over
the years in a band context and at the time it was great. He even
pulled like 30+ screws and we put some upgraded 12AX7s in it.

That's what my friend had before his Helix. I got to hear it a lot over
the years in a band context and at the time it was great. He even
pulled like 30+ screws and we put some upgraded 12AX7s in it.
That was probably my favorite sounding modeler prior to Fractal. Again, it was just so bulky.

Good lord, I think I actually still have mine hidden away in the attic somewhere. What a hideous piece of crap that was. Bought that as a backup for my first modeler.

Anybody remember the ORIGINAL AX2 from------Line 6? That was my first one.

1998-08-line6-1-Wb7JngJi7p5Kbtvef8uYxwz0lRwzsV9n.jpg

A Digidesign floor unit. Expensive doorstop is what it was. Far too confusing and complex. I've also had the pleasure of owning a used kidney bean for about a week's time to cover my job as host on an open-mic once; needed the bean for whatever reason, eventually learned to keep time, returned the bean to GC within the allotted return window. Also some Fender Mustang II's; those were better because you could understand them more easily. Have followed HeadRush and settled on Fractal, for versatility, tone, and ease of use (once you learn to work with the Fractal).

I could say much more about Fractal, but most all folks who know Fractal are average joes who just feel they need something better than what they've previously owned. We all desire something better for ourselves in life...it's how we go about obtaining that that separates most folks.

One of these was my first:
Line 6 Pod Pro

I purchased a used original bean a while back just out of curiosity. They're usable (ish), but I find that despite your initial impression usually being "ah, it's not as bad as I remember" eventually reality sinks in and you realize that it has the dynamics of a slab of granite and all the tones are some odd combination of a wet blanket and a beehive.

Line 6 Flextone. Graduated “up” to the red bean and actually for cleaner Strat stuff it was pretty cool.

Johnson Mirage JT-50
1645598581486.png

and not long time after the JT then Johnson JM-250 Head - had great time wiht it !
1645598677826.png

After this I had several other (H&K, ElevenRack, Line6) but was never so satisfied with sound as with the Johnsons.
After buying a used FX Ultra in 2019 was leading to get rid of the other stuff and take that money out of it to get the FM3.
But miss my JM-250 and regret the sale 12 years ago... not that it was better than the Fractal stuff but would be the best 2nd option or as backup.

A POD XT LIve through a pair of Behringer Truth monitors, and cheap cables

Worst experience. Talk about ear fatigue!!! Blah!!!!!!

I moved up to an Axe FX 2,

I was not truly happy until I got the Axe FX 3

A POD XT LIve through a pair of Behringer Truth monitors, and cheap cables

Worst experience. Talk about ear fatigue!!! Blah!!!!!!

I moved up to an Axe FX 2,

I was not truly happy until I got the Axe FX 3
Yes! I had major ear fatigue problems with my Line 6 gear back in the day. Even when I liked the tones. I thought in retrospect that maybe it was just because my tweaking abilities were trash back then, but maybe not.

Back
Top Bottom