What was the trick for faster boot up?

Was curious about the empty presets info above so I emptied (no blocks) all the stock presets in my AxeIII leaving only my own in slots 1-64. Thought I would see a big difference but my boot time only went from 21.3s to 21s. Maybe I'm missing something.

Edit: Maybe I need to "clear" these empty presets - trying that ...

Edit: Not much different after clearing (20.7s) - maybe it recognizes unaltered stock presets and skips those always - dunno
The other day I compared boot times for Helix LT and FM3, both on latest firmware with the full compliment of factory presets and cabs plus some of my own.

Helix LT :: FM3 was 17s :: 21s - both numbers rounded down. Even if it were
17s :: 22s it seems a rather insignificant difference. If it was an order of magnitude difference it might be worth discussing but as it stands, maybe not so much.

The boot times for the LT and the Stomp are about the same. In case you were wondering, the LT has been going out the door for ages but in pandemic time is still sitting here. The Stomp stays as a backup. It sits on a PT Nano with a MC6 and is battery powered. It’s cute.

Not totally as (from Fractal Post above), it seems also about # of "empty" presets though I've not been able to confirm by testing (maybe my empty presets are not totally empty? - maybe there is something left in there that causes them to be loaded).
Certainly “not totally.” Although, I am reading this comment in the context of your first post, and those of many, many, others’ in response to the OP.

Load time is generally a matter of priorities and hardware limitations. There are studies out there of modern operating systems where older ones can seem zippier. Assuming a well-architected system that scales, usually the choice comes down to things like where to put the lag time.

Simplistic example. Faster startup with a laggier first few minutes, or slow start, with instant response? In audio it’s protect the audio signal processing path above all, and limit speed where folks likely won’t notice it, as needed. If flash memory needs to load at once, that’s one thing. If not, limiting pre-load to the selectable range set for the preset navigation controls, is one way.

I don’t want to second guess the hardware engineers. They are clearly ace, and greatly appreciated. Just sharing my own experience as a developer since 1977 (precocious as a young child), and that it’s not always a forgone conclusion that things are the way they are, the way end-users are apt to assume. Another good reason not to abuse posters of sincere questions.

Load time is generally a matter of priorities and hardware limitations.
Something I heard in the late 70’s when I worked as a IBM 360/70 systems programmer, and this may be apocryphal because google doesn't turn anything up, was that Soviet mainframes used for their space program booted in seconds. Which is amazing. But the near-instantaneous boot time was a solution to the the general deficiency of the hardware as a whole which apparently would just crash at will.

The other day I compared boot times for Helix LT and FM3, both on latest firmware with the full compliment of factory presets and cabs plus some of my own.

Helix LT :: FM3 was 17s :: 21s - both numbers rounded down. Even if it were
17s :: 22s it seems a rather insignificant difference. If it was an order of magnitude difference it might be worth discussing but as it stands, maybe not so much.

The boot times for the LT and the Stomp are about the same. In case you were wondering, the LT has been going out the door for ages but in pandemic time is still sitting here. The Stomp stays as a backup. It sits on a PT Nano with a MC6 and is battery powered. It’s cute.
My Helix Floor boots like twice as fast as my FM3. Helix on 3.1 firmware, FM3 on 4.00

Some companies will pay serious money for developers that know COBOL so they can continue to keep ancient legacy applications on life support. You'd be shocked at how outdated some of the systems large companies and government agencies rely on can actually be. Sure they have modern outward facing infrastructure and security but there's often still some dusty old machines running truly ancient code inside the DMZ.

Not totally as (from Fractal Post above), it seems also about # of "empty" presets though I've not been able to confirm by testing (maybe my empty presets are not totally empty? - maybe there is something left in there that causes them to be loaded).

As for thread length, which seems an issue for some, valuable seconds can be saved by not reading past your comfort level.
Thread 'Clear preset isn't completely cleared'
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/clear-preset-isnt-completely-cleared.174082/

In the forum, wishes and change requests could be separated from bug requests and be more formal. Wishes and changes should start with a simple “yea”, “nay” and “don’t care” poll,
Disagree, because people who don't want or don't care, won't vote (not all of them, but enough), which then skews the vote. That happens, and it has a term to describe it, but I can't remember what it is.

Some companies will pay serious money for developers that know COBOL so they can continue to keep ancient legacy applications on life support. You'd be shocked at how outdated some of the systems large companies and government agencies rely on can actually be. Sure they have modern outward facing infrastructure and security but there's often still some dusty old machines running truly ancient code inside the DMZ.
Yes -" if it works we won't touch it". worked in systems for 30 years - at the end managed 150-200 apps for a largish org - we had to support everything from old ibm mainframe cobol type stuff to old dec/pdp to modern client/server/mobile apps running in virtual OSs - maybe I should
bone up to earn some extra guitar cash!.
Disagree, because people who don't want or don't care, won't vote (not all of them, but enough), which then skews the vote. That happens, and it has a term to describe it, but I can't remember what it is.
squeaky wheel catches the worm - something like that

Another good reason not to abuse posters of sincere questions.

I really appreciate your thoughts and where you are coming from, and have a sense of
your spiritual/philosophical leanings. I am just not on board with the use of the word
"abuse." It seems more than a stretch, and leads me to wonder if it also can serve to
marginalize and diminish folks who actually do suffer from the "abuse" of others.

My reading of the comments is that some of them are at best playful poking and ribbing,
bu8t get nowhere near close to anything I would label as "abusive."

Yes. Also those who have a negative experience--for any reason--can feel victimized and
persecuted, so they will be more vocal about it, which makes it seem that their negative
experience is more pervasive than it is in reality.

Not that any of us can agree on what that reality is, though ;)

My Helix Floor boots like twice as fast as my FM3. Helix on 3.1 firmware, FM3 on 4.00
I’m not being snide here but have you actually timed them. Without feedback perception of elapsed time is not linear.

Another zag down memory lane but again in the late 70’s for the first relational db program written for our shop, SQL/DS under CMS/VM in 370 macro-assembler, I updated the console every 2 seconds by printing a series of sequential dots on the terminal when the user executed a query for the expressed purpose of mitigating the perceptual effect of elapsed time. I was rather tickled when a wag in the machine room labeled them ‘age spots’.

@sprint still on my bookshelf is ‘System 370 Job Control Language’ by Brown which ironically was referred to as the Blue Book because of the colour of the cover. I can’t count the number of times it saved my ass. My favourite relics though are volumes 1 and 2 of the ‘UNIX programmer’s manual’ published by Bell Labs.

My little girls box turtle caught and ate a worm the other day...it's alot slower than the Axefx3 boot time.
slow but steady, and given a few worms along the way, and enough precious seconds, it can overtake the fastest Hare.

I now have no idea what we are talking about - my wife says I need to put the damn laptop down and cook dinner.

slow but steady, and given a few worms along the way, and enough precious seconds, it can overtake the fastest Hare.

I now have no idea what we are talking about - my wife says I need to put the damn laptop down and cook dinner.

Haha! What's the boot time on bringing a frying pan, or pot of boiling water, up to temp?

Please report back. :)

If there was 3000 people waiting for a boot up at a gig, it’d be a little painful!
Thanks
Pauly

Then it might be good to have a backup ready to go. It would be worse if the rig went down entirely for some reason w/ 3000 people.

Back
Top Bottom