What was the trick for faster boot up?

This was one of my complaints about the Kemper.

Look, its a first world problem to be sure, but the question was sincere. I am officially sorry that I asked, which turns out to not be that uncommon.
Don't think you should be sorry about asking the question but my sense is you can expect some respondents to sincerely ask how the difference between current / desired boot time matters materially to workflow (I can't see how personally but I may miss something in absence of an explanation) - in this case it's a valid response question along with any helpful info provided + if you ask Fractal for a change, it'll probably have more chance of getting in with explanation of how the improvement matters (or issues it causes leaving as-is).

Unlike a lot of (most) other companies, we see that Fractal listens / interacts with its customer base and frequently implements changes they ask for. This is great but does sometimes make for a competative requesting environment where one can expect to be challenged by other interested users to explain the reasons for a change request X which may compete with change request Y.

Don't think you should be sorry about asking the question but my sense is you can expect some respondents to sincerely ask how the difference between current / desired boot time matters materially to workflow (I can't see how personally but I may miss something in absence of an explanation) - in this case it's a valid response question along with any helpful info provided + if you ask Fractal for a change, it'll probably have more chance of getting in with explanation of how the improvement matters (or issues it causes leaving as-is).

Unlike a lot of (most) other companies, we see that Fractal listens / interacts with its customer base and frequently implements changes they ask for. This is great but does sometimes make for a competative requesting environment where one can expect to be challenged by other interested users to explain the reasons for a change request X which may compete with change request Y.
Five pages to continue dissecting what could have been answered in one page is kinda… (Y’all can finish the sentence.) The post was framed by the OP as having heard a tip before, not as a criticism of Fractal. @Chris Hurley, thanks for asking.

I just want to commiserate with OP. It seems like for some reason what starts out as a question/wish/idea winds up getting slagged-off by posts from what sound like self-appointed “Protectors Of The Status Quo”. If people don’t “get it” or agree I’m cool with trying to better explain an idea and discuss it — but what often lands like the pointless down-shouting of someone’s question/suggestion as “unnecessary” is just… WTF. Keep those ideas coming.

I just want to commiserate with OP. It seems like for some reason what starts out as a question/wish/idea winds up getting slagged-off by posts from what sound like self-appointed “Protectors Of The Status Quo”. If people don’t “get it” or agree I’m cool with trying to better explain an idea and discuss it — but what often lands like the pointless down-shouting of someone’s question/suggestion as “unnecessary” is just… WTF. Keep those ideas coming.

Yeah, this place definitely wreaks of the "status quo." ;)

I don't think we should have a problem being dismissed, slagged off, and made the butt of jokes.
If I had the credibility and talent to pen a memoir it would be nothing but full of that kind of
stuff. Does it beat me down and make me feel less than, or have me pouring tears into
my pillow at night??

Ok, sometimes it does. But that's ok, too, isn't it? :)

I feel like thick skin can coexist with a sense of humour and lightheartedness---AND great, outlandish,
nonsensical ideas and requests. Hell, they may all even be mutually co-existent.

Exactly. Requests should be challenged if their benefits aren’t immediately obvious as being beneficial for the majority of users. It’s a vetting process.

Bug fixes are obvious. Change requests that improve the user experience in a major way are obvious. Change requests that only improve life for a small minority or already have an existing and equally valid workflow should be justified.

Most requests fall somewhere in between and will be discussed and people need to have thought the request out. When they don’t and didn’t present the pros and cons, then the ensuing discussion will help reveal them. It needs to be recognized as a positive community process by those who initially make the request because it helps reveal and root out flippant demands. Fractal is going to do the same with the request internally anyway but they will weigh requests with more obvious demand and benefits from the whole community.

In the forum, wishes and change requests could be separated from bug requests and be more formal. Wishes and changes should start with a simple “yea”, “nay” and “don’t care” poll, and should be introduced with a supporting argument and the corresponding messages in the thread should be justifications or rebuttals only to weed out the “+1” entries. The misdirecting chatter that occurs because of boredom is probably a good indication of the community’s sense of a lack of usefulness in the request. There’s always going to be some wandering but the farther afield it gets is telling.

Was curious about the empty presets info above so I emptied (no blocks) all the stock presets in my AxeIII leaving only my own in slots 1-64. Thought I would see a big difference but my boot time only went from 21.3s to 21s. Maybe I'm missing something.

Edit: Maybe I need to "clear" these empty presets - trying that ...

Edit: Not much different after clearing (20.7s) - maybe it recognizes unaltered stock presets and skips those always - dunno

Edit: Reset/Cleared/Emptied 32 of the 1st 64 presets remaining (these are backup copies of my own very kitchen sinkish presets in 1-32 with globals unlinked) - still no change in boot time (21s). From testing here, I don't see how emptying presets makes a difference.

Last edited:
The first response 6 days ago roughly answered the question. It also captured the point many “[had] to say.”
Not totally as (from Fractal Post above), it seems also about # of "empty" presets though I've not been able to confirm by testing (maybe my empty presets are not totally empty? - maybe there is something left in there that causes them to be loaded).

As for thread length, which seems an issue for some, valuable seconds can be saved by not reading past your comfort level.

Not totally as (from Fractal Post above), it seems also about # of "empty" presets though I've not been able to confirm by testing (maybe my empty presets are not totally empty? - maybe there is something left in there that causes them to be loaded).
I usually use Manage Presets to copy an <EMPTY> over presets I want to delete, so I know it is empty....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom