what was the last Firmware version that was the "smoothest"

kmanick

Fractal Fanatic
Before Cliff had his "revelation" and re did the Power amp simulation (which I love) what was the last version that was more Ideal for recording similar to the Ultra, "smoother and more polished" sounding, than what we've got now.
I've got a friend with a II that is a long time Ultra user and is ready to bail on the II (he's on V14 now)
and I'm thinking he may get along better with "that" version, I just forgot which one it was.
thanks

9 always got lots of love for its smoothness or 'polished' tones

No idea why your friend is struggling though...
shrug.gif
I mean, there are Authentic / Smooth / Ideal modelling options in the Amp Block specifically for the guys who preferred that approach, but seriously, basic settings and a good IR are all that's needed these days really

FW 14.02.

OK, that wasn't helpful. Did he try changing the grid modeling parameter on the ADV-page of the AMP-block, like Cover'd suggested?

FW6/7 was very smooth IMO. That was the firmware I began my AxeFx journey with and I distinctly remember how pleasing the tones where no matter what preset I made.

...wasn't as realistic as now, or even as tonefull! But it was smoother.

Firmware 9 was great for hi-gain since you could get a really polished studio tone but I don't think it had anything you can't achieve now with the advanced parameters.

My advice is stick with FW14.02 and use effects sparingly to mix in the desired level of smoothness. I can't believe how good the current FW sounds through a good pair of FRFR speakers like my CLR NEOs. Cliff has really gone and done it this time! :D

EDIT: if all else fails check out the recent thread on Modeling Mode. Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom