What was Metallica thinking?

I'm sure it's just a very lighthearted thing for them to do now & again to break the monotony of endless years of constant touring....

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thought that when Kirk was going wakka wakka on his strings Kirk was probably thinking 'where's my wah?'

As for the doodle, if I were there I would probably think 'Play some Metallica songs! That's why I paid to be there!'. Now I understand that a live show has to be a bigger then life event, with well planned show elements and stuff, but this seems a kinda weak live gimmick. U2 had The Edge do a karaoke singalong with the audience back in 1997 on the Popmart tour, but that at least was backed up by the biggest screen in the world (back then). When U2 hit the Netherlands on that tour Edge did Radar Love of the Golden Earring, our most successful Dutch rock band, and when he hit the chorus the audience was singing along so massively it literally stunned The Edge. Really funny too in a way.

This is....., not epic fail, but weak fail. If Metallica wants to do something specific that will appeal to a local audience, better to have the whole band do this Prince cover.

And speaking of epic fail, on the same Popmart tour, when U2 played Barcelona, Edge did the Macarena. But what nobody had told him that the song was from an artist from Madrid, and Barcelona is in Catalonia, the region of Spain that to say doesn't exactly like Madrid is putting it mildly. Probably the only time Edge got booed on stage since they became famous.

Notice it's called Rob & Kirk's Doodle. This is just something they do for fun and they've done it for decades now at this point as have tons of other live acts. Don't take it so serious. Take the opportunity to go to the bathroom or grab a drink.

Notice it's called Rob & Kirk's Doodle. This is just something they do for fun and they've done it for decades now at this point as have tons of other live acts. Don't take it so serious. Take the opportunity to go to the bathroom or grab a drink.

I still think its a weak moment in the show. It's a show stopper. Maybe that Lars and James really need a toilet break, or maybe this one was just not that good, but a rock show should be a non-stop roller coaster ride. And a roller coaster does not stop half way so you can get off for drinks or a leak.

I probably read too much into this, but the vibe I'm getting with this doodle is that it is the boon that Lars and James give to Rob and Kirk for being the junior members in Metallica. But I'm probably reading too much into this. Maybe previous doodles were massively successful and this one was just kinda meh?

These “Metallica” kids could make it big.... just need to take a little advice from guys in the internet on how to put on a proper show and I could really see things taking off for them.
They really should start writing their own songs instead of playing covers like this...

These “Metallica” kids could make it big.... just need to take a little advice from guys in the internet on how to put on a proper show and I could really see things taking off for them.

They're free to do whatever they want, I am free to criticize them for it. Considering that the crowd was not exactly going nuts I'd say I feel there was room for improvements.

And its not like Metallica hasn't pulled stupid shit before. St. Anger? The Death Magnetic mastering? Jason's mystery bass lines on In Justice? That Napster spat?

That’s a great way to cool a hot crowd ! LoL

Maybe a preview of the direction of their next album ;-)

Isn't a new Metallica album basically an excuse to go on tour and play their old classics again?It's not like most people go there to hear anything new since what? The 90's?

And playing the same stuff over and over and over and over and over and over

So its like any regular job. Only they get paid millions for it and we don't. Color me unimpressed with their plight. Besides, they could have gone Radiohead and play a different setlist and set of songs every night. Does it matter much if Master of Puppets opens or closes the show or gets played somewhere in between?

Isn't a new Metallica album basically an excuse to go on tour and play their old classics again?It's not like most people go there to hear anything new since what? The 90's?

So its like any regular job. Only they get paid millions for it and we don't. Color me unimpressed with their plight. Besides, they could have gone Radiohead and play a different setlist and set of songs every night. Does it matter much if Master of Puppets opens or closes the show or gets played somewhere in between?

This is actually...fairly inaccurate.

Metallica play different setlists almost every night. They have a few songs that they play at the same point in the setlist, but in between you'll see a fair bit of variation.

Also, Hardwired was a pretty damn good album. Spit Out The Bone in particular is a bitchin' song.

That being said, the Prince cover is pretty appalling. I understand why they do it, but I wish they wouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom