What volume to set up at

greiswig

Power User
I set up my presets on studio monitors, JBL LSR28p’s. I generally try to get a good tonal balance right about 85-90dB, C-weighted.

I’m just wondering what other people find is best practice for translating to a PA to sit in the mix well? I’ve heard plenty say “Mix at gig volume,” but most studio monitors don’t go that loud anyway, and I wonder what that does as far as the F-M curve affecting your perception of tonal balance anyway.

I set up my presets on studio monitors, JBL LSR28p’s. I generally try to get a good tonal balance right about 85-90dB, C-weighted.

I’m just wondering what other people find is best practice for translating to a PA to sit in the mix well? I’ve heard plenty say “Mix at gig volume,” but most studio monitors don’t go that loud anyway, and I wonder what that does as far as the F-M curve affecting your perception of tonal balance anyway.
You have got it right. 85dB is commonly recommended for mixing because it is in the middle of the useful range, and the F/M curves' difference deviation. Most guitar playing occurs between about 60dB and 110dB.

Depends a lot upon the room you're in but < 75dB here with studio monitors. It seems to me that there's a difference in perceived volume between nearfield monitors and large PA dBs. We shoot for 95-100dB live and it's not any "louder" than at home.

Loud for gig presets. I end up using different IRs altogether for live use, darker ones often work great without tweaking. Many IRs in Axe are so bright they'll take your head off at high SPL. The tones end up middy and dark, and they'll rock like a mofo at the gig.

Recording is easier, whatever sounds good. Often it is almost the opposite of a middy and dark gig preset: recording preset can often be very bright to work in the mix.

Last edited:
I start by leveling all my presets using the meter in the output block with rhythm scenes just touching the red and lead scenes averaging about 3-4 dB above that. Then I added an amp level button in my global performance page so I can quickly make adjustments to each amp level during gigs. Works pretty well. It’s dialed in pretty well but I’m finding I still need to make adjustments for different rooms and outdoor gigs.

I start by leveling all my presets using the meter in the output block with rhythm scenes just touching the red and lead scenes averaging about 3-4 dB above that. Then I added an amp level button in my global performance page so I can quickly make adjustments to each amp level during gigs. Works pretty well. It’s dialed in pretty well but I’m finding I still need to make adjustments for different rooms and outdoor gigs.
I set mine up so the leads just tickle the red, and back the rhythm stuff off 4.5dB below that via the output level in the volume control in every preset I build.

The only sure way is to check your presets through a similar PA you are going to use.
My presets have an out 1 and out 2. Out 1 goes to my stage rig, Out 2 goes to FOH. All my live presets are level balanced and tested before going live. And because not all PA systems are created equal, I have a PEQ block right before each Out. This allows me to tweak, if my tone is too boomy or bright. Regarding the volume knobs, on the front of the AXE, my channel 1 is set at 75%, channel 2 set at 50%. The 50% setting for channel 2 FOH, has worked across the board for many PA systems. Any higher causes the sound engineer asking me to turn down my gain. The sitting in the mix well depends on who has their hands on the console.

I think part of what makes me second guess myself here is that in pretty much every other respect, we are told to treat the AxeFX like we would a real amp. Well, on a real amp, I definitely don’t limit my volume that way! And the sound man at the board doesn’t, either. So I could potentially make the argument that adjusting tone at the volume I expect to be heard at is the right approach.

Back
Top Bottom