• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

What type of quick disconnect for pickup swapping

GotMetalBoy

Power User
I'm looking to buy some small 5 pin connectors to use as quick disconnects so I can swap out humbucker pickups. I figure I can dive bomb the Floyd Rose, so the strings are loose and then quickly swap the humbuckers on my guitar that has pickup bezels and not pickups directly screwed into the body. I want to get small connectors, so they fit under the pickups, so they don't cause any issues with the pickup height.

I have a ton of guitars but it's a PITA maintaining them and costly changing strings.

I don't know much about electronic connectors but from my searching I've found 2 that seem to be what I'm looking for.

The first connectors are called W.S. Deans Micro WSD1005 5 pin connectors and they come in a male and female pair with 5 small heat shrink tubes for each pin to cover the solder joints.

The second connectors are called JST 5 pin connectors and they come in male and female pairs with the wires already crimped to the connectors.

Has anyone done this to their guitars or have any recommendations or suggestions?

Musikron

Inspired
It takes much longer to swap a pickup mounting screw and spring setup than it does to fire up the soldering station and do it right. I’d just stay tried and true personally.

Manny Kuhn

Inspired
I do something similar to this with most of my guitars. I use Dupont jumper wires, clip the ends off retaining a short bit of cable on each side, then solder the female end to the each individual pickup wire and the males to the various pots, switches, and ground. The pickup wire is then fed through the existing hole in the guitar body like normal and then simply plugged into the pots/switches. This makes it an easy thing to swap out pickups though more often I just change around the configuration such as series/parallel and push/pull options.

GotMetalBoy

Power User
It takes much longer to swap a pickup mounting screw and spring setup than it does to fire up the soldering station and do it right. I’d just stay tried and true personally.
The pickups are already attached to the pickup bezel/mounting ring, so all I'll need to do is remove 4 screws, disconnect the pickup quick disconnect and then do the reverse to install them. The pickup height will already be set for all my pickups.

Do you remove your guitar output jack and remove the Axe-Fx input jack and then cut the 1/4" plugs off your guitar cable and solder the cable directly to your guitar and Axe-Fx? If you use any pedals in between would you do the same and remove the jacks and solder cables directly?

I guarantee in a listening test no one could hear the difference between a soldered pickup or a quick disconnect. EMG uses quick disconnects for all their pickups, pots, switches and jacks.

GotMetalBoy

Power User
I do something similar to this with most of my guitars. I use Dupont jumper wires, clip the ends off retaining a short bit of cable on each side, then solder the female end to the each individual pickup wire and the males to the various pots, switches, and ground. The pickup wire is then fed through the existing hole in the guitar body like normal and then simply plugged into the pots/switches. This makes it an easy thing to swap out pickups though more often I just change around the configuration such as series/parallel and push/pull options.
That's a great idea! I have a ton of those connectors already for my Arduino. The only thing is they don't seem to have a tight connection but I think I bought the cheapest ones I could find at the time.

Are the connections tight with the ones you linked to? I know the W.S. Deans Micro 2pin and 4pin connectors have really tight connections bc a local RC Car store had some in stock but no 5 pin.

Thanks for the info!

Johan Allard

Power User
I use Seymour Duncan Liberator in a couple of guitars and find it works great. You replace one of the pots with the Liberator pot and then you just add the pickups by screwing them in, instead of soldering. In these particular guitars I have series/parallel switching and a Freeway switch in the other, so not having to solder lots of wires makes it a lot easier.

Manny Kuhn

Inspired
Are the connections tight with the ones you linked to?
The link was just an example and not necessarily the exact ones I have ordered in the past (also from Arduino projects). The connectors from various merchants I have purchased from do seem to be inconsistent with some being quite tight and others almost worthless. I pick through them to get the best fit and if I find they need to be snugged up a gentle flattening of the male works well.

The only drawback I can think of with using connectors with multiple contacts is it is going to have to be located in the pickup cavity rather than the control cavity (at least with rear route bodies) unless you greatly widen the hole that goes between the two that the wire passes through. It will also mean any rewiring in the control cavity will require soldering.

I do use the two prong JST connectors on my Strat style guitars for connecting the pickguard to the output jack. With that single connector I can just unplug the pickguard if I want to mess with it off the guitar or quickly swap it out. They work great and are excellent quality.

Rich G.

Experienced
I picked up a pickup that had connector on it. When I asked the seller about it, he sent me a link to THIS informative thread where he discussed the connectors.

Top Bottom