What type of monitors are people using for the axe in a home practice situation

Terref69

I'm wondering what everybody is using for monitors. are you using stage monitors that are powered for just stay home use and if you were going to play Live what type of monitors would you bring for yourself instead of using the PA system I am very new to this and curious what everyone is using
I have a double stack Marshall 2000 head but I want to use strictly the axe 3 any ideas.. fractal says to plug it into my input effects Loop and turn off my Poweramp module

I use an Atomic CLR (the current model).

Using your Marshall as a power amp and your Marshall cab would certainly work, but there are a few drawbacks:

1. If you plan to gig with the Fractal then you prob don't want to drag the Marshall to the gig, so you are going to want some sort of powered FRFR anyway.

2. You can't try different cab models - all you get is what you physically have (the Marshall), which might be great for a lot of stuff, but no cab is perfect for everything.

3. You are still burning tubes every time you use the Marshall. My stuff tends to stay on all day - even though I'm not playing it non stop (I'm in and out a lot and the studio is my day job). When I ran tube amps this caused me to burn though tubes more often than I wanted. Not a problem with the Fractal stuff.

Be it something like the CLR, a powered stage monitor, or just the speakers on your DAW, you are probably going to want a FRFR to get the most out of your new toy.

[Edit - and I just use one, I don't worry about stereo in my practice setup, or live most of the time either]

Cheers!

I have 2 for stereo.

They're not cheap. What's your budget? And it helps to say what type of music you play. The harder folks tend to have different preferences. CLR are pretty neutral so you can cover a pile of different genre's.

R

Thank you for all of your replies they are indeed some great ideas when I bought my axe 3 I wanted to be able to model different types of amp heads and speakers so connecting it to my Marshall really wouldn't be advantageous so I've decided to go with the stage monitors my budget would be around 500. I love the clean sounds I here on some videos . Of course they go through mixers. I play all sorts of music .Rock is my fav. But with my Les Paul that has acoustic pickups I love the clean sound.. it's the Alex lifeson version

Whoa, cool about that Alex Lifeson LP!

For home monitoring in the man cave, I use JBL LSR305 nearfield monitors. For loud home monitoring, I use one or two CLRs.

For home monitoring with the band, I use headphones, IEMs, or one CLR. If I use headphones or IEMs, it's true that the other guys can't hear me except through the PA, but they generally can't hear me anyway.

The same stuff I use out - Xitone active cab or active wedge. Or both if I want to play in stereo.

I use the same Matrix Q12 powered speaker for Home, rehearsal, and gig. That way I know that the only things affecting what I hear are room position and volume.

2 ADAM A7's (with Sub 8)
2 CLR Neo's

Both are great and handle all my needs.

Last edited:
I use an Atomic CLR Neo or my Event 20/20 BAS's with a KRK sub. For headphones I use Sennheiser HD600s.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom