What to look for when buying a used Axe-Fx II?

METAL123

After looking for the past year on eBay, Reverb, and local listings for an Axe FX II XL+, I've finally negotiated a fair price and am looking at picking it up soon. I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to making expensive purchases (especially when I'm buying something like this used with no warranty). When I see the unit in person, is there anything I should look for specifically so make sure it's in good working order? I don't want to buy it and then realize there's a problem. Any advice would be much appreciated.

The obvious signs of major damage, small scratches are ok. If you are able to plug it in somewhere before you buy it is best.

I'd say if you're able to turn it on and it boots all the way up to loading a preset, you're good! Any of the other "common" issues (which are very few and very infrequent) are very easily and very cheaply corrected, if they arise.

Given it’s an electronic device, essentially a computer, it either works or it doesn’tz

It doesn’t have parts that show wear, hours of usage etc.

Cosmetics can tip you off to how well it’s been treated, to a degree, but a mint cosmetic one could still have a hardware issue with the internals.

Pretty well made and reliable units though so i wouldn’t worry too much. Just avoid cracked LCD, broken or missing knobs etc

Might take a good look at the CAT5 plug in for the MFC. There is a small possibility of plugging in the wrong cable and shorting that circuit. Not really sure if you could even tell that visually tho...

1. General visual inspection.
2. Does it fully l boot up.
3. Test inputs (front and back)
4. Test as many of the outputs as possible.
5. What Zionplayer above said (most common user caused damage).
6. Test with MFC (if it has one).
7. Press all front panel buttons to ensure they work.
8. Rotate front dial to ensure it is working.
9. Connect USB if possible and verify it communicates properly.

1. General visual inspection.
2. Does it fully l boot up.
3. Test inputs (front and back)
4. Test as many of the outputs as possible.
5. What Zionplayer above said (most common user caused damage).
6. Test with MFC (if it has one).
7. Press all front panel buttons to ensure they work.
8. Rotate front dial to ensure it is working.
9. Connect USB if possible and verify it communicates properly.

Good advice overall, but keep in mind output 2 may or may not have output depending on settings, same with if the front or rear input is selected.

Again, good advice overall, but don’t want to plug into the front jack, when setup for rear input and go “this doesn’t work, I’m not buying”

Good advice overall, but keep in mind output 2 may or may not have output depending on settings, same with if the front or rear input is selected.

Again, good advice overall, but don’t want to plug into the front jack, when setup for rear input and go “this doesn’t work, I’m not buying”

Good point. Hopefully whomever is selling it can ensure it’s configured or can change the settings for him during the testing.

Back
Top Bottom