What To Look For In A Foot Controller

GM Arts

Fractal Fanatic
We get a lot of questions about MIDI foot controller features, so I decided to put a checklist together of what to look for in a foot controller for your AxeFX. Fractal Audio will have their own for sale soon, and I expect it will tick most of the boxes. :D I hope this guide is helpful, and if you think so, then maybe make it sticky for a while.

If you use it live:
Metal case, rugged footswitches and pedals? Solid construction and no genuine reports of unreliable operation?

Flexibilty and future-proofing:
Does it also operate as general MIDI controller, or does it only work with specific gear?

Displays:
Can you read the display clearly in both bright light and darkness? Is the information presented clearly? Is all the information you need available? LCD screens are often too small or washed out when viewed from a height of about 5 feet. Are selected patches and CC toggle states clear in bright light and darkness? Can you find the footswitches in darkness?

Two-way communication: (the controller sends AND receives MIDI information)
This is not necessary, but VERY nice to have. The controller needs to be able to interpret data received from the AxeFX, so this is device-specific. So ... Does it receive data from the AxeFX? At minimum, you'd expect to see patch names, tap tempo, CC toggle states (which blocks are bypassed or not) and be able to select a tuner display.

Patch selection:
How many patches do you typically use live? What's the maximum number of footswitch presses it will take to get from one patch to another (IMHO, 2 presses is the max).

CC toggling, a.k.a. "IAs":
How many CCs do you want to toggle? Are there enough footswitches? What's the maximum number of presses it takes to get to a CC you want to use?

Momentary CCs (press to activate, release to deactivate):
If you want them, are they available?

Tap CC (this sends a maximum value CC each press):
You want it (you know you do) - is it available?

Expression Pedals:
Does it feel good to use? Range is not too small or large? No excessive dead spots at ends of pedal travel? Is the response even throughout pedal travel (you can select different tapers in the AxeFX to compensate to some extent). How many pedals do you need? If only one, can it switch functions (eg volume/wah)? A toe switch and LED indicator is really nice here, but usually only available with pedals built into the switching unit.

Programmability:
Is it intuitive to edit? Is it easy to backup? Can you restore settings at a gig, or at least do a hard reset that'll get you through a gig?

CC Resets after Program Changes:
This is really important for sophisticated modellers such as the AxFX. The AxeFX intentionally doesn't retain bypass settings through patch changes, but DOES retain External Controller values through patch changes (some of which could be used to over-ride bypass states). This is terrific functionality, but you need to be able to control it.

When you select a new patch, you want the pedalboard to reflect what you hear. When you recall an AxeFX patch, some effects will be bypassed, some active, and some may be set to retain a status selected in the previous patch. However you use it, you need the pedalboard to be able to set the displayed CC toggle states to off, on, or "no change" so that when you next press on them, they act as expected. You need to be able to set these states for EACH program change. It's also highly desirable to be able to send CC messages after a program changes to set some or all of the AxeFX external controllers to a known starting point.

Fancy stuff:
Read the manual to see if there's some fancy stuff you really need. I like the ability to have mutually exclusive CCs (eg turning a Chorus on automatically turns a Rotary off, and turning a Rotary on automatically turns the Chorus off). Instead of "wasting" a CC footswitch on the tuner, one neat trick is to have the tuner activate when a volume pedal is set to off (heel-down). There's lots of fancy stuff on offer, such as switches performing different functions on 1st press, 2nd press and so on. On stage though, I think you really need to keep it simple.

Cost:
Is it worth the cost? If it's expensive, does it have a warranty and good support?

Is there an easy guide to understanding MIDI codes?

Also, for many size and weight is an issue.

Is it somewhat water (beer) resistant?

Can you back up your programming to a PC for quick replacement programming?

Can it display a tuner? (big one for me)

Back
Top Bottom