What things can an AFX do that a real amp cant?

I used to use an AC30, it has been in storage for 5 years now.

The problems with a real amp:

Heavy
Fragile, lost bits of tolex as it gets moved about
Needs to be cranked higher than most small venues allow to sound decent
Impossible to use at home for recording due to noise
Regularly blew tubes/fuses
Cannot change settings on the fly

Axe FX 2, yeah it may not be 100% like a real amp but the benefits massively outweigh the cons.
Patches, effects, 100s of amps, etc etc.

Tube amp is like a vintage muscle car, seems really cool to own one. There is a certain romanatism about them, a certain pureness, image etc.

I’ve had many a friend who thought they could make one their daily driver. Quickly they found they missed the economy, reliability, safety, and comfort of a modern car. This was before vintage cars got as expensive as they are now too mind you.

Amazing how you miss reliable starting, traction control, working defrosters etc on a cold day when your running late to work lol

Tube amps are often the same; you find you can’t crank the volume, then you add more and more pedals to give some break up at low volume, and then you miss tap tempo on your delay so then you add additional pedals, and cost, and board size, and then you need more power supplies and cabling and you’ve got this huge rig, costs tons of money, and it still sounds like an amp with the volume on 1.5 because that’s all the louder you can get.

I’ve got a Princeton still, sounds great for one thing, and that is clean with reverb and tremolo, using neck and middle pickup on my strat. Does that sound fantastic and at a modest volume. Anything else ? Wrong amp for the job.

Muscle cars are awesome if you’ve got a spare garage space and can keep one for pleasure driving, just like having a few real amps is fun to mess around with, but whole different issue when it comes down to living with them.

Just as guys say “oh I actually enjoy working on my car”, when the reality comes around of how much you have to do it, they suddenly don’t enjoy it as much, maintaining tube amps is the same way. You start to see them as money pits and wish you could just turn soemthing on anytime and just have it work, just like having a modern car that doesn’t need anything for like 10k miles or more. Just add gas as needed and drive it, maybe wash once in a while.

When the car shows are in town I always think “I want to buy another one” after seeing a nice GTO drive pass, but then when I see a dozen on the side of the highway, waiting on service, I think “oh yeah, my Elantra is pretty sweet” lol.

There is a reason so many folks have moved to modelers, not the reverse, just as there was a reason we moved away from late 60’s/early 70’s automotive tech.

Never. Sell. Gear.

/end_thread

I’d say never sell gear you’ll just end up buying back.

I’ve sold hundreds of pedals, lots of amps, guitars etc, that I haven’t missed for even a second. Glad they are gone

I’ve also sold stuff, at a loss, only to go and rebuy it again, at a higher price. Wish I would of kept a few of those items.

Sell a II to get a III ? Fantastic idea

sell a II to buy a tube amp, just to sell it and rebuy a II in 6 months ? Not the best idea

I've owned an AX8 for a year and a half and am responding because I came from some better than average tube amps. In my time with the AX8 I've only tried maybe 10 amps in it and only play 3 or 4 consistently. I don't use a lot of scenes, I stick mainly to using it like a pedalboard but do employ a Control Switch for boost purposes. I use it at home for practice and to occasionally record an idea. I've used it live every week in a few different venues without any onstage monitoring, in ears only. I have not turned on any of the 4 amps I still have set up in my music room in about 8 months now.

The Axe Fx II has even more power and versatility than the AX8; it's an audio interface and can be used to tone match a particular amp. Don't forget about the headphone jack for late night playing, you'll need to add a load box and separate audio interface to do this with an amp. Then there's the parameters that Fractal has that provide more tone shaping tools not found on any physical amp, including the Mesa Road King. These parameters is where I've found the main benefit of Fractal gear: It's allowed me to dial in exactly what I want to hear and have been more pleased with my tone since getting the AX8 than any point in the previous 15 years.

The bottom line for me is the AX8 provides more consistent, sometimes better tones than any of my amps. I don't have to fiddle with the amp's knobs trying to dial it in on site because the room is wonky. No issues with the mic not being placed in exactly the right spot on the cab or issues with other instruments bleeding into the mic. No more band members or sound guys telling me to turn down or issues with my monitor mix. Not to mention the upkeep of tube amps, wondering if I've gone too long between tube changes.

If you're missing the visceral interaction with an amp, there are solutions that will provide the feel you want. Reading your other thread, it doesn't sound like the tone is in question. If you like the tones you're getting with the Axe, why risk being unhappy or frustrated with your tone?

Last but not least, considering the amps you're wanting you'll have to provide at least half of the funds for just one of the amps even if you sell the Axe. When you look at the other things you'll need to buy like cabs, load box, audio interface, cables, mics etc..., why sell the Axe. At least wait and compare the two setups before selling the Axe. Then again, you could re-sell the amps, cabs and other gear to fund an Axe III when you realize what you had before.

I also get this urge now and then - maybe I should get a tube amp again.......but then I start looking and checking Youtube and so on, and then I realize that the amps I would like are expensive - and I need a couple of Strymon pedals and a Wah, and I would hate tapdancing to change sounds and effects, so I need a switching system, and a cab and and and and.......then I turn on my Axe and play a riff on my Les Paul, and I'm happy Again........

So........DO NOT SELL YOUR AXE FX ;-)

Søren

The main advantage to me is obvious and it has been pointed out in the thread. You get an incredible amount of different amps. That simple. I get the sound of dozens and dozens of great amps, or I get one. I’m not a one amp suits all my tastes kind of guy so the AxeFx is a clear winner. That doesn’t even include all the amazing pedals, cabs, and easily adjustable features.

One the one hand it sounds like the decision has been made already, so no point arguing otherwise. On the other hand it sounds like you doubt your decision and want us to talk you out of it. Personally I hate tube amps. Goddamn unreliable finicky beasts! One evening they sound great, the other they sound like pants. You can never crank them up like you would like, lest the rest of your band will murder you. And they're heavy as f*** to haul around. I LOVE the sound of my old Fender Twin Reverb, but I will NEVER ever gig with it as it's just too damn heavy and lumbersome to haul around. In fact it's been in storage for years now.

While I understand that you need to free up cash to fund the purchase of your new beauty, keep in mind that you're basically replacing your entire rig. You're moving into unknown territory here and if it doesn't work out there's no going back. The smart thing to do would be to find other funds first, purchase your uber amp (what kind of bootweak uber amp are purchasing that requires to sell an Axe FXX in the first place?) and only once you're completely satisfied sell the Axe. It's good to have a backup.

I second the notion of saving up to buy the amp and keeping the AxeFx. The only reason I haven't sold my amp is so that I can "sober up" whenever I feel like I might be missing my sound. Plus its always good to have a backup for either rig. Amp needs work done? You still have your axe to hold you over until it comes back and vice versa.

See above.

I'm...considering going back to real amps. However the one thing that people keep saying as an argument is how versatile the AFX is in comparison.

It's an argument that seems legit in my head, but I don't know what it is yet that an AFX can do that a real amp cant. I haven't had to experience that.

SO. Educate me. What are some cool shit that an AFX is capable of that a real amp isn't?

There's tonnes of things it can do that and amp can't . But I sold my XL and went back to my recto and pedals and never regretted it .

The Fractal is a great piece of gear. I found I just prefer some limitations or I just tinker endlessly.

See above.

I'm...considering going back to real amps. However the one thing that people keep saying as an argument is how versatile the AFX is in comparison.

It's an argument that seems legit in my head, but I don't know what it is yet that an AFX can do that a real amp cant. I haven't had to experience that.

SO. Educate me. What are some cool shit that an AFX is capable of that a real amp isn't?
For me its all about the control. Real time continuous control over so many settings, and not just amp models but all the effects as well.

I've actually started using a real amp with the Axe-Fx II in 4CM setup. You can still use axe fx amp models btw.

In fact the best setup I've ever had is combining tube and digital!

The Fractal is a great piece of gear. I found I just prefer some limitations or I just tinker endlessly.

This is the trap I fall into quite often. It drives me crazy sometimes because an hour in of practising and all I have done is change settings in my presets. There is so much flexibility and tweakable things that it can be off putting for newbies, but once that sound is dialed in, it sounds awesome. However, sometimes I just want to play and not be bothered with tweaking endlessly. hahah

This is the trap I fall into quite often. It drives me crazy sometimes because an hour in of practising and all I have done is change settings in my presets. There is so much flexibility and tweakable things that it can be off putting for newbies, but once that sound is dialed in, it sounds awesome. However, sometimes I just want to play and not be bothered with tweaking endlessly. hahah

I find it’s actually sometimes the opposite. Because I read soemthing on the forum about a new idea, someone shares a preset, there is a new firmware etc, I grab a guitar and turn on the Axe

When I had hardware, unless I bought soemthing new, I didn’t really have as much motivation to power up the amp, let it warm up etc.

Mind you, I don’t play for a living, have no intention or desire of hitting it big, and am more than accepting that I’ll be a subpar guitarist for the rest of my days, so it’s not really an issue if I go a few days without playing. It’s a fun hobby, nothing more really.

Still though, with the Axe, and the fact a great tone is like 10 seconds away (time for boot up), I am finding myself playing nearly every day. Not serious practice etc, sometimes just messing around with settings, but still, guitar is in my hand, and I’m having fun. Heck, the Axe is half the fun on its own lol.

Once I dialed in my sound I can have no problem staying away from tweaking. The only tweaks I might do is adjusting the odd volume difference I might notice in a preset. You're never going to get the perfect sound anyway. If it sounds decent, just leave it be and focus on making music, you'll be far happier anyway.

Besides, analog guitarists can tweak endlessly too. Constantly buying and trying new gear. Tonechasing is not exclusive to Axe-FX users. We're just blessed that we don't have to buy new amps or pedals but can just try out another model.

Once I dialed in my sound I can have no problem staying away from tweaking. The only tweaks I might do is adjusting the odd volume difference I might notice in a preset. You're never going to get the perfect sound anyway. If it sounds decent, just leave it be and focus on making music, you'll be far happier anyway.

Besides, analog guitarists can tweak endlessly too. Constantly buying and trying new gear. Tonechasing is not exclusive to Axe-FX users. We're just blessed that we don't have to buy new amps or pedals but can just try out another model.

So true, for me its the pedals as well. When I had my analog gear I steered away from pedals. Didnt want to be stomping on a whole bunch when switching from clean to distortion for example. Now with my axe and fcb1010 its so much easier.

Besides, analog guitarists can tweak endlessly too. Constantly buying and trying new gear. Tonechasing is not exclusive to Axe-FX users.

That's true, though when you factor in IR's, it ratchets up the tone shaping possibilities to seemingly endless levels.

That's true, though when you factor in IR's, it ratchets up the tone shaping possibilities to seemingly endless levels.

That's easy, find a couple of IR's you like, and stick with them! I've never bought any IR's, I only use factory IR's. Before my switch to the Axe I used a couple of Marshall cabs, so that's what I sought on the Axe. I listened to all the IR's on the Axe with a looper to see which ones I liked best. If I could I would have stuck with one, another Marshall cab, but a FAS original sounded better for crunch, so I only use two. So those two it is. Not bothering with trying out other IR's any more, not buying any, it's so liberating.

Just accept that your current setup will be it, that you will never find your perfect tone, and you will be free. Free to write new music and enjoy making it. In the end all your tone has to do is to sit well in a mix. The rest is just you making things miserable for yourself. And who knows, if you ever become famous, others may try to endlessly fret about recreating your tone? :D

That's easy, find a couple of IR's you like, and stick with them!

It's easy for me because I don't really have an issue with it.

I've never bought any IR's, I only use factory IR's. Before my switch to the Axe I used a couple of Marshall cabs, so that's what I sought on the Axe. I listened to all the IR's on the Axe with a looper to see which ones I liked best. If I could I would have stuck with one, another Marshall cab, but a FAS original sounded better for crunch, so I only use two. So those two it is. Not bothering with trying out other IR's any more, not buying any, it's so liberating.

If I'd never tried anything but the stock IR's, I wouldn't know what I was missing. It's possible to embrace open-endedness without letting it stifle your creativity. That's the basis for innovation. To each their own, of course.

Last edited:
I dont know what your home setup or recording setup is, but for me, its the ability to have a cranked amp sound, at bedroom volumes. That's the biggest factor for me - I live in a small apartment in DC and a cranked amp would never fly. But I love the consistency when I play out. My live sound sounds the same every night and exactly how I want it to. Also, if I wanted to try a new amp - I could with ease and without dropping some cash - or selling my old amp for a new one.

Back
Top Bottom