What the hell is that noise?

This just happened again, and I've been able to identify the specific cab IR causing the problem. Since I'm able to reproduce it at will, I'll contact the maker. Does not seem to be a Fractal issue in my case 👍
Yes, I've was scrolling through 55 different cab IRs today for a specific preset and it's happening on the same cab every time. The third time it happened, I muted the cab block. Unmuted 5 minutes later and it was still squealing. This is all without playing a single note.
Thank you for your work on this. It's frustrating to encounter, but digging in really helps; Even if it'd been something in the firmware, being able to reproduce it at will makes it SOOOOoooo much easier to fix.

I'm glad it's working for you, but it's a bummer that you deleted it. As far as I know, you were the only person who could reliably reproduce the problem. That would have been valuable information for Fractal.

Perhaps it's in a cab backup?

Quite recently, someone had a preset sounding bad, and reloading the IR fixed that. Others seemed to acknowledge that.

So it kinda seems that cab memory is "oxidizing," so to speak...?
One day it will just sound off, another day you may get the noise.

Seems it could then become recommended to freshly reload all cabs you're gonna use for a session...

Or maybe a fast check is possible that checks cab integrity, and on failing maybe it could default to another general use cab, so you still have sound at the gig, or prevent trauma.

Seems the problem is relatively new though? In that case we can hope it's a bug, for example, the preset starting to run before a certain cab is entirely loaded? (etc.)

Last edited:
I wonder if the loading procedure matters. Dragging a .wav into a cab block vs. changing .wav to .syx in CabLab. Same resulting code? Different?

I'd copy that IR out. Shove it in another location and see if it does the same thing. I'd also send it to Fractal for analysis via a case. It's possible the IR is fine, but the firmware is triggering this artifact more readily for this particular case.
Only had the FM9 for 3 weeks or so, but I've had this 3 times now. Scares the hell out of my dog.

Twice with factory presets. No audio from USB going. But USB was likely plugged in and FM9 Edit running.
Once with a transferred patch from AxeFX II+, but all factory IRs.

This just happened again, and I've been able to identify the specific cab IR causing the problem. Since I'm able to reproduce it at will, I'll contact the maker. Does not seem to be a Fractal issue in my case 👍
well, mine happened on 3 different presets, at least one was a factory preset, and all are factory IRs.
last time I just turned the volume know down waited a few seconds and turned it back up slowly and it was back to normal already.
all 3 happened during simple noodling.
Was running different 2 different FRFR speakers and once with headset.
Mine is so random so far it's not reproduceable.
The only thing I can tell is that each loud sound was slightly different and somewhat related to what the preset sounds like.

Seems the problem is relatively new though? In that case we can hope it's a bug, for example, the preset starting to run before a certain cab is entirely loaded? (etc.)
Mine didn't happen on switching. I was in the preset, playing for at least 30 seconds or more each time.

Mine didn't happen on switching. I was in the preset, playing for at least 30 seconds or more each time.
This was what happened for me. USB connected to contol FM9 Edit. FM9 NOT being used as audio interface via USB. Backing track audio coming from Ableton. Happened multiple times at random, not at preset switching, about 30 seconds into the song. No custom IRs. Suggest you talk to support. Might be a hardware issue

I just found this thread this morning after my unit did the same thing with a third-party acoustic IR during a church service. No MIDI or USB inputs, did it on a scene change within a preset. Reboot “solved“ the problem, and I went back to using the same IRs no problem. Tried to do the same scene change again with output muted at the FOH level but clipping light didn’t go off, so I haven’t been able to replicate. I don’t think it’s my Anthem SL’s battery doing weird things either, but it is beyond time for me to change it proactively.

Amazing response!

Speeding Evan Peters GIF by 20th Century Studios

We have identified the issue and will have an updated firmware later today.

Is this a known issue that affects the FM3 also, or just the 9? I had one of these events a few months ago on the FM3 while playing a loop and auditioning cabs. At the time my preset had many unsaved changes that were lost when I powered it off. No issues since.

Is this a known issue that affects the FM3 also, or just the 9? I had one of these events a few months ago on the FM3 while playing a loop and auditioning cabs. At the time my preset had many unsaved changes that were lost when I powered it off. No issues since.
I have the same question but for the FX3. I reported the issue a while back, and it’s happened several times since. I assumed this was a fix for all models, but seems to only be for the FM9 so far.

Back
Top Bottom