What the !$%# am I missing? Can't get the freakin' usb driver to work.

guittarzzan

Inspired
Ok, I'm not new to the Axefx, Axe Edit, the drivers etc, but have been away awhile.
I recently picked up an XL and simply cannot get the driver to load correctly and Axe Edit to connect with the Axefx.
I'm on a PC with Win 7 64 bit.
I've gone over the notes with the latest driver installer and uninstalled the previous 3 drivers/programs etc, rebooted my computer, then followed the install instructions to a "T". It shows everything to be installing correctly, but when it's all done, no connection to Axe Edit.

I look in my device manager and there's that unpleasant yellow exclamation mark showing there's a problem.

I've installed tons of software and drivers over the years and for the life of me, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Anyone have any suggestions for me to try out?

thank you,
Steve

Ok, I'm not new to the Axefx, Axe Edit, the drivers etc, but have been away awhile.
I recently picked up an XL and simply cannot get the driver to load correctly and Axe Edit to connect with the Axefx.
I'm on a PC with Win 7 64 bit.
I've gone over the notes with the latest driver installer and uninstalled the previous 3 drivers/programs etc, rebooted my computer, then followed the install instructions to a "T". It shows everything to be installing correctly, but when it's all done, no connection to Axe Edit.

I look in my device manager and there's that unpleasant yellow exclamation mark showing there's a problem.

I've installed tons of software and drivers over the years and for the life of me, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

thank you,
Steve

I had installed it twice over itself and it just wouldn't work. I totally took it off, rebooted, reinstalled, and it worked.

Uninstall everything, run a program called CCleaner (used to be Crap Cleaner) - just the free one will do. Use the registry cleaner to get rid of all the broken registry keys that have been building up over time, which stays in the system regardless of whether or not you have uninstalled programs.

Give them guts a good cleanin' and then reinstall the latest versions. Should be fine then.

I had installed it twice over itself and it just wouldn't work. I totally took it off, rebooted, reinstalled, and it worked.

I'm a little apprehensive to use one of those registry cleaners on my Pro Tools computer for risk of it screwing up stuff that shouldn't be messed with.
Have you used this on your recording computer and had no side effects?

It seems hard to imagine it would take something like this to just get the freakin' driver installed for the axefx.

thanks for the tip though,
Steve

I'm a little apprehensive to use one of those registry cleaners on my Pro Tools computer for risk of it screwing up stuff that shouldn't be messed with.
Have you used this on your recording computer and had no side effects?

It seems hard to imagine it would take something like this to just get the freakin' driver installed for the axefx.

thanks for the tip though,
Steve
All the time. It's part of my regular cycle of computer maintenance. Mac and Windows.

I think i had a similar issue once, i'm not sure if its still relevant, however i think the solution was to run the installer as admin

Updated from Win7 to Win10 and nothing worked. As per above suggested, I deleted everything and re-installed. Hey Presto, back in business!

Updated from Win7 to Win10 and nothing worked. As per above suggested, I deleted everything and re-installed. Hey Presto, back in business!
I recently installed Windows 10 and had the same problem. Still haven't fixed it, so I'll try that. Windows is enough to piss off a saint sometimes. If it weren't for Fractal, I wouldn't even have Windows installed on anything. You'd think for as bright as the Fractal Crew clearly is, that they'd come out with a code set that would run on Linux.

I recently installed Windows 10 and had the same problem. Still haven't fixed it, so I'll try that. Windows is enough to piss off a saint sometimes. If it weren't for Fractal, I wouldn't even have Windows installed on anything. You'd think for as bright as the Fractal Crew clearly is, that they'd come out with a code set that would run on Linux.

feel your pain... I hope it gets sorted. FWIW, on my new laptop I did a clean install FAS drivers etc with Win10 already updated and didn't have any issues.

Remember to unplug the USB cable from your computer when installing/uninstalling the drivers.
Unplug the USB cable, uninstall, install again and connect the USB cable when prompted.

If that does not do the trick and you're a Computer literate do the following:

- Disconnect the USB cable from the Axe to the computer
1. - Uninstall the three items from Control Panel
2. - Go to %windir%\system32\drivers
2.1 - Delete fasusbaudioks_x64.sys and fasusbaudio_x64.sys
2.2 - Go to %windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository
3. - Delete this two folders:
3.1 - fasusbaudio.inf_amd64_d6b897f5bc2db5b4
3.2 - fasusbaudioks.inf_amd64_be882d31607314a9
4. - If you don't want to use CCleaner go to REGEDIT
4.1 - Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Class
4.2 - Delete {05AFBB69-9BDA-452F-A871-0E8433FCFF8E}
5. - Reboot your computer.
6. - Install the driver as Admin (Don't connect the USB cable yet)
7. - Connect the USB cable when prompted.

That should work.

I upgraded from W7 x64 to W10 x64 without any problems

Last edited:
just my 2 cents (I never had any problem myself with the drivers, included after upgrade to win 10)

CCcleaner gives the option to make a copy of the registry before cleaning, in case something should turn wrong (protools, ...)

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'll try the installing as admin and with usb cable disconnected tomorrow. Those are two things I haven't thought of.

much appreciated,
Steve

CCleaner has a built in tool to backup the registry before cleaning, in case you decide to use it in the future. I am not an expert in the Axe, but Fl7x's computer advice is solid.

Thanks for the tips guys. I was able to install the driver successfully as administrator with usb disconnected and get everything working with Axe Edit...until I launched Pro Tools, which has a usb keyboard and Arturia SparkLE connected via usb also. After using PT for a while, I noticed Axe Edit was now disconnected from Axe and sure enough the driver was somehow not working again. I don't know why PT would screw with the FA driver, but it seems to be the case. Unless I find a fix, I can choose between going through the entire uninstall/install process everytime I want to use Axe Edit or I can buy a cheap laptop to use Axe Edit. I don't know enough about computers to know how to stop one bit of software from causing an issue with the FA driver. Never dealt with such a problem for such a seemingly simple thing as a usb driver.

thanks,
Steve

Back
Top Bottom