What sub-$700 guitar sounds, but doesn't look/weigh, like a Les Paul?

@Dr. Dipwad, count me out :)

Not to be a drag, but I'm nowhere near interested enough in the outcome of such a test to devote a significant hunk of my small amount of music time to it.

I thought the concept underneath @Andy Eagle's assertion statement was odd, but I suppose it's not inherently wrong. But it's not very provable either. I'd rather play guitar :)

At least remember that Les Paul tone is not just a humbucker. Body shape, mass, material, scale, paint all affect tonal character . Does a tele sound like a hardtail strat to you ?

I have a Schecter Custom Solo II in satin black, I also have a Gibson LP standard. Biggest differences are the Schecter has a thin neck and HUGE frets, upper fret access is also great. My Gibson is brighter with more lows as well, the Schecter tone sits between that, but plugging in one after the other.......it’s pretty close. Both are setup really well and play great. I bought the Schecter used for 600 bucks and it’s better than some guitars I’ve bought for 2k......namely a few Ernie Balls and PRS, yup I’m not kidding.

Find an Edwards Les Paul, they can be very light and sound like a good Gibson.

My 2012 E-LP-125/ALS is only 7 lbs 4 oz. and is the best LP I've owned.

Edwards LPS.jpg

I actually think my 2004 mahogany body Ibanez S series comes closest to my LP in terms of sound, with half the weight and more ergonomic form factor. I think swapping in some LP pickups and it would be a very close match.

Current S-521 (HH) models go for 399 new - leaves you some cash for good pickups. Or the S-570 (HSH FR) for under $600 new. The Ibanez FR-style tremolo is the best on the market.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input, folks!

I think I'll probably settle on a used Schecter Solo-II Custom if I can find one at the right price, and it isn't prohibitively heavy. Seems like that's the best features/quality/price combination that'll have those LP-esque attributes, and I find the headstock and body shape to be among the most-attractive implementations of the Les Paul style. Some of them just look fat or clumsy to me, but the proportions of the Schecter seem a little nicer to me than those of Gibson and Epiphone...it is, I grant, a subtle difference.

If I'd found something like a carved-top Tele body with the 24.75" scale length, stop tailpiece, and correct pickups, that could also have done well. But that combination seems rarer.

Back
Top Bottom