What sub-$700 guitar sounds, but doesn't look/weigh, like a Les Paul?

Interesting, yeah, the PRS SE Zach Myers is (just) within the price range, seems like it'd have to be lighter, and somehow the F-hole makes the looks less repellent to me than is typical for the LP singlecut shape. (Sorry, I know most people don't mind, it's just a matter of taste.)

Thanks for the great suggestions, folks.

If you want a Les Paul tone on the cheap the best way is buy on older Les Paul Studio (not weight relieved) It is 99% the same guitar. Cheap plastic coated Less Pauls are built from crappy woods and just don't have the basics even if you swap all the electrics and the hardware . If it is not the exact same shape and same wood it is not going to sound the same. You can't get a Les Paul tone just with a paf on something.

The solo on 'Brothers in Arms' is a good example if you actually try to replicate a Les Paul recording exactly you can't. The Les Paul is a very simple guitar and that makes for a very unique tonal response same is true with a telecaster.

I got a TA Cobra T with mahogany body, maple top, mahogany neck and rosewood fretboard, and a 24 3/4" scale- just like a LP.
I put in the same pups as in my Heritage H 150 and guess what..... they sound exactly the same ;-)

I got a TA Cobra T with mahogany body, maple top, mahogany neck and rosewood fretboard, and a 24 3/4" scale- just like a LP.
I put in the same pups as in my Heritage H 150 and guess what..... they sound exactly the same ;-)
I probably shouldn't say this here but plug it in to a one channel tube amp and the difference will be night and day.

I probably shouldn't say this here but plug it in to a one channel tube amp and the difference will be night and day.

Have you actually tried and verified that?

Sometimes we tend to idealize the gear that we own, to believe that it is unique. We can do it unconsciously, or we can do it intentionally, to give more value to it (like the people that sells a Klon for $5,000, with exactly the same circuit and components that a $50 clone, claiming that it will transport you to heaven)

Last edited:
Yes I've tried it, you can get pretty close but definitely not the same. Klon clones are similar. My favourite is the original gold Klon. The Gold Archer is good but you can tell it's not the same.

Les Pauls have quite a distinctive voice , not just a humbucker tone if you actually listen. As I said before the Axe is a bit of a leveller and the instrument's tone is not as obvious .

Because a tube amp has more than one channel, it makes all guitars sound similar? Strange assertion.
No it isn't .The more components in the signal chain the less difference any single thing makes is the gist of it. Try it for yourself. Find something with a really low part count and you will hear it pretty easily.

Gentlemen,

Regarding...
Because a tube amp has more than one channel, it makes all guitars sound similar? Strange assertion.
...and...
No it isn't .The more components in the signal chain the less difference any single thing makes is the gist of it. Try it for yourself. Find something with a really low part count and you will hear it pretty easily.
...it sounds like you guys have the beginnings of a pretty decent shootout/listening experiment.

Perhaps another thread could be established to post sound-clips, if you and enough others are interested.

At present, though, I have the following makes/models to consider:
  • PRS SE Zach Myers
  • Dean Icon X with upgraded pickups
  • Dean Hardtail Select
  • ESP LTD PB-500
  • Cort M600
  • Aria PE-480
  • Washburn BT8
  • D'Angelico Premier Atlantic
  • Ibanez SZ320QM
  • Yamaha Revstars RS420 / RS620 / RS820
  • Maybe a Tele 2H body with a Warmoth conversion neck for 24.75"

The above models match what I'm after because they each have most (if not all) of the following attributes: Fixed bridge, 2 humbuckers, a scale shorter than 25.5", 3-way switch, an arched or carved top that at least slightly evokes the Les Paul, without being shaped exactly like a typical Les Paul.

If anybody has any other makes/models to add, please let me know!

If anybody thinks that the "bones" of one of the above models would turn out badly -- I mean, I can replace pickups and pots but if the neck is crap I'm stuck -- then please let me know about that, too, because I don't have any experience with most of the above.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom