What sub-$700 guitar sounds, but doesn't look/weigh, like a Les Paul?

Dr. Dipwad

Experienced
Just what the subject says: What sub-$700 guitar sounds, but doesn't look/weigh, like a Les Paul?

I'm looking for a guitar to pick up, for not too much dough, that'll deliver the Les Paul sound, without the things I hate about Les Pauls. I hate the look of them (sorry for those who like it) and the inclination to neck-dive (they don't all have that, but it seems many do), and my back is such that I really shouldn't stand on stage with anything more than 7.5 lbs of guitar (which seems to rule out most LP-style guitars).

That the guitar must have humbuckers seems obvious. I also suppose that I need something that's 24.75" scale length and a hard tail bridge of some kind. I'm unsure how much the neck joint or body-wood selection will matter. And I'm really hoping that the tone doesn't somehow require a 9-pound overall weight.

Anyone have a recommendation for a guitar that fits the bill?

ADDENDUM: To clarify (since a few folks brought it up): For this guitar, I'm not so much looking for modern metal or active pickup sounds. I'm more interested in the range of Les Paul sounds from Joe Perry and Jimmy Page to Slash.

Last edited:
Schecter C1 series with Tune-o-matic bridge. Throw in a set of Burtstbuckers or 57 Classics and you're good to go.

I have a C1 and it doesnt sound anything like an LP.

I have a C1 Classic with a Suhr SSH and SD Jazz and it gets close, had Burstbuckers in it at one time and it was even closer. Nothing is going to replicate the tone of a Les Paul except a Les Paul or similar thick body singlecuts.

A lot of the Les Paul tone is due to the body thickness. If one doesn't like singlecut guitars, the closest you can get is to put Gibson humbuckers in a guitar, but without the mass it will always fall short. It might sound like a Les Paul but won't have the same oomph.

Schecter Solo II Custom. I had one. It has nothing to envy from a expensive and heavy Les Paul

I sold it because, after more than 35 years playing only with Strats and Super-Strats, I found the Les-Paul shape anti-ergonomic. But it is an incredible guitar

Schecter Solo II Custom. I had one. It has nothing to envy from a expensive and heavy Les Paul

I sold it because, after more than 35 years playing only with Strats and Super-Strats, I found the Les-Paul shape anti-ergonomic. But it is an incredible guitar

That model came up in a search at $3,674.25.

Actually I have the perfect guitar

I have a Vox SSC-33

It's light, it's comfortable, plays well- but more importantly- have amazing pickups and electronics and sounds hands down better than my two Gibson LP's

Neck dive is more of an SG thing. Their thin body and back mounted strap button at the neck joint set the balance point too far forward. Don't think I've ever played a Les Paul that had neck dive. Their thick body and dense maple top keep the weight to the back pretty well. Never played one of the chambered ones though, that would likely shift the balance point.

I'd say the biggest contributors to the Les Paul sound are the set neck design, the tune-o-matic bridge/stop tailpiece, and the pickup choices (PAF style or P90's). Wood does matter as well, but not as much as many people think.

Perhaps an Epiphone Explorer or Flying V. Those are both still in the Les Paul tone ballpark and their longer body shapes should help make them less prone to neck dive.

OP is looking for a guitar that doesn't look like a Les Paul.
The Epiphone Tribute Les Paul is an obvious choice in the price range, only if the OP can get past the looks. Otherwise, there's going to be a tonal compromise with most any other model of guitar.

Lots of great replies here; thank you fellas!

To clarify the original note, I've added the following: For this guitar, I'm not so much looking for modern metal or active pickup sounds. I'm more interested in the range of Les Paul sounds from Joe Perry and Jimmy Page to Slash.

While I'm looking at the ones you've suggested, I thought I'd ask:
  • Any experience with the Dean Icon X?
  • Any experience with the ESP LTD PB-500?

They both aren't so Les Paul looking, but have the right kind of bridge, so I thought they might be able to do the job...?

I honestly feel like a guitars sound is very tied to it's build, shape etc. Will one of those get you close, probably, maybe, like any other guitar. Will it sound like an LP? nope.

Even guitars that are meant to be more modern versions (PRS SC, Eclipse, etc)...they just get some of the way there. If you want LP tone, it's gonna have to be as close to a LP ad you can get!

Back
Top Bottom