What studio monitors are you using

jamesmarshall

Inspired
Hey Fractal users!

What studio monitors are you using?
I am looking for a good discussion.

I have 2 sets of older monitors and love the large mid field monitors which are the JBL LSR 32s. Had these since they came out in the late 90s. Love setting up my Axe Fx tones using these to get them just right.

For near fields I currently have the Audix 1A monitors I got in like 93 or 94. They have served me well all these years.

I am tired of amps going out and constantly having to find used power amps for both of my passive speakers though.

I am getting close to getting a pair of the Kali Audio IN 8 V2 monitors for my near fields and retiring my Audix 1As

I also check for mono compatibility with a cheap single Behringer Behritone speaker.

I listened to way too many monitors before I chose the ones I did. I got each one for the way they responded to certain things like attack on drums, that they did not color the mids and were clean and clear in the highs without harshness on albums that I knew well.

What is everyone using and what do you like or not like about them and why did you choose what you did.

I am not looking for any advice, just some great discussion on studio monitors. I feel they are one of the most important parts of your environment. The right choice can help you and the wrong choice can be a detriment to your recording and mixing.

Here is a pic with all my monitors in it.

PXL_20210503_013347142.jpg

There are many threads about this subject. Many!
Not looking for recommendations. This is just to talk about studio monitors in general and see what everyone is using and why they may or may not like them. It could help others make a choice as well. It really isn't about anything but just general monitor talk.

I swear by Genelec.
I have used many sets of Genelecs over the years. My favorite Genelecs are the 1238AFM and the 1238DFM. The one thing that always gave me pause with Genelecs was the pronounced midrange, I personally felt it was distracting, but you can dial the mids in pretty easily on them.

I have the Presonus Sceptre S8 too, bought primarily for mixing my original music. Didn't like it too much at first coming from cheap-ish monitors (I thought too much high end), but came to appreciate them. Still needed a sub-woofer though.

Then when using with AXIII and later FM3, also didn't like them too much at first but now I think they are really good for Fractal gear, definitely more true (I guess) than the QSC CP12 and EV12PXM I have. I'll dial in my presets using the S8 and then just suffer through the degradation with the wedges.

In retrospect, since requiring a sub-woofer anyways, I probably would go with the smaller Presonus size. The S8 are ridiculously loud, I probably have their volume 5 degrees open from zero.

Not looking for recommendations. This is just to talk about studio monitors in general and see what everyone is using and why they may or may not like them. It could help others make a choice as well. It really isn't about anything but just general monitor talk.
The many discussions for over a decade about studio monitors were pretty much the same as this one. Just thought using the vast knowledge presented in this forum for over a decade would be helpful to you....

Small Questeds, Mid Questeds, & 15 inch JBL 3 ways for fun :)
I'm very happy with the Questeds, and the JBLs, while a million years old (with drivers recod) kick!
Thanks
Pauly

Back
Top Bottom