What speakers for Matrix+Guitar Cab?

baloo

I decided before I received the AxeII to go Matrix power amp and a 2*12, mainly because most of the gigs I do are in small clubs with no vocals or no sound guy so I didn't want to have to deal with PA's, and powered monitors didn't really move the air or the room like a guitar cab when playing through a friends setup.

So I put a Matrix GM50 in the back of my 1/4 open back Framus cab with a couple of Scumback speakers, a H75 and a M75.

I am very happy with this setup. I feel like it does 70-80% of what I want it to do perfectly (98% very satisfactorily). For British voiced amps and high gain amps the Scumback's are very well suited, however I feel like the clean amps don't feel right. I'm sure I could if I put in an alnico speaker like a Jenson Blackbird or a couple of WGS G12C's or something the cleans would come alive but then I fear I would lose what I have with the Scumback's.

So I'm interested in what other people are using in their guitar cabinets. Is there a speaker out there that would be a good compromise between the British voicing and the American Voicing? Or whether you use specific cabinets with specific speakers for specific types of music then another cab for another type of music, or if you forge ahead with what suits the sound you want most and know if you wanted to have different cabs on hand you would go full range with cab simulation?

Is there a speaker out there that would be a good compromise between the British voicing and the American Voicing?

Take a look at the Eminence Tonkerlite, best of both worlds imho and you will save tons of weight as well. I use the GM50 with an oversized 2x12" open back and couldnt be happier. If it MUST be ceramic then check the Tonespotter

For guitar-emphasised rock music, I usually prefer the pretty generic Celestion V30 or an Eminence The Governor. For metal, I might also use a Celestion G12T75. But since I've been playing in a band whose genre is kind of "versatile", I've been using the cab sims. If the latter scenario complies with your situation, you might consider going for a FRFR.

For guitar-emphasised rock music, I usually prefer the pretty generic Celestion V30 or an Eminence The Governor. For metal, I might also use a Celestion G12T75. But since I've been playing in a band whose genre is kind of "versatile", I've been using the cab sims. If the latter scenario complies with your situation, you might consider going for a FRFR.

V30s are generic to you? Probably good for hard rock and metal but simply forget to get a decent clean sound out of them. The OP has already Scumback H75 and M75, really another league sorry.

V30s are generic to you? Probably good for hard rock and metal but simply forget to get a decent clean sound out of them. The OP has already Scumback H75 and M75, really another league sorry.
I actually didn't encourage the OP to get Celestions, I was only refering to the last question in his post. In other words, what I wanted to say was that I indeed go with different speakers for different genres. V30s are generic to me, since everyone who plays rock/metal has played on them at least once.

V30s are generic to me, since everyone who plays rock/metal has played on them at least once.

What a luck guitar is more than just rock and metal, at least when you get older than fifteen. The OP is asking about a compromise between Crunch and Clean. I agree with Enzo on the Tonespotter. I add the EVM 12L to the list.

What a luck guitar is more than just rock and metal, at least when you get older than fifteen. The OP is asking about a compromise between Crunch and Clean. I agree with Enzo on the Tonespotter. I add the EVM 12L to the list.
Why are you still arguing about that rock/metal answer of mine? The emphasis of my answer was on the fact that I'd go with different speakers for different genres and in his case, going with cab sims on and using FRFR could be useful, which clearly answers his last question.

Just to remind you:
baloo said:
Or whether you use specific cabinets with specific speakers for specific types of music then another cab for another type of music, or if you forge ahead with what suits the sound you want most and know if you wanted to have different cabs on hand you would go full range with cab simulation?

Try EMINENCE DELTA PRO A's. 400 watts per speaker and flat. Amazing clean and uncolored. Can handle anything you throw at it too!

I second the Eminence Delta Pro. What you are looking for (I think) is an almost, full range speaker.

best regards, Mike

I use a OS 1x12 with an EV12M, or a 2x12 with WGS British Leads, or a 2x12 with a WGS ET65 and a Veteran 30, cab sims off for all setups

All cabs sound great, no amp-in-the-room complaints at all, each setup is different and very usable, very Axe 2 friendly

Back
Top Bottom