What should I put in my rack?

iaresee

Administrator
I've got a new space and I'm going to permanently home some gear in a 10U rack that matches my desk and furniture. What should I put in the rack?

Right now I've got (from top to bottom):
  • 1u - Furman power
  • 3u - Axe-Fx III
  • 1u - Breakout panel for the AFIII
  • 1u - PreSonus Studio 1824c
  • What goes here???

I've got 4u of space left. Maybe 6u if I got 12u rack. I thought make a 2u shelf with some pedals on it and an RJM mini effect gizmo wired into the s/r of the III would be cool. Anything else I should consider?

Interesting. I don't usually wireless at home. But a fascinating idea. I could drop my pedalboard wireless unit there pretty easy. Not sure I'd invest in rack wireless. But I'll put it on the to-consider list!
It's nice to be able to get up and move around and not worry about the cable, especially if you're in the zone. Rechargeable batteries in the transmitter for the additional win.

In my rack I got a Denon rack mixer myself so I can mix a keyboard, 2 Kaoss pads and a stereo jack for laptops and smartphones into a stereo output for a FOH mixer. I got a top shelf myself for the Kaoss pads and a wireless MIDI receiver, but not every rack has that feature. I'd say plus one for a wireless unit, because cables suck and even one less cable in a cable rich environment is a big step forward already. But I reckon you could also never go wrong a with a rack drawer for your guitar cables and paraphernalia.

Oh here’s an idea: Laptop tray if you gig and wanted to do a “show on a rail” (e.g. Periphery) running pro tools, doing backing tracks & MIDI preset/scene/lighting changes.

Another idea: IEM stufFS (again obv. for live situations).

Amongst our weaponry are such elements as fear, surprise....
inquisition.jpg

Oh here’s an idea: Laptop tray if you gig and wanted to do a “show on a rail” (e.g. Periphery) running pro tools, doing backing tracks & MIDI preset/scene/lighting changes.

Another idea: IEM stufFS (again obv. for live situations).
This rack is strictly for home. It'll be in a nice, wood enclosure. No wheels. No covers. It'll sit under my desk.

Behringer Deepmind 12d.... it can be racked as a 5u and looks darn sweet with all the faders and flashing lights. Plus it sounds great too

just converted an old rack case I had laying around to mine

Another breakout panel for rear-of-rack connectors, including a few power outlets. My panels are the unsung heroes of my racks... everything’s easier with the connections up front!

And a wireless. Losing the cords is a real boost in tight spaces!

It's nice to be able to get up and move around and not worry about the cable, especially if you're in the zone. Rechargeable batteries in the transmitter for the additional win.
If you go with wireless (I hate the clutter of cables), the rechargeable battery tech has improved tremendously over the past five years. Put an Ansmannn charger in there and you're all set. Most also have a usb output for charging your phone.

Back
Top Bottom