What should I Put In 4U My Rack? 4CM

Paulg2uk

Power User
Hi guys,

I'm finally putting together my Axe Fx 2 rack over the holidays now I have a bit of time on my hands. My plan is to run the 4CM through my Boogie combo and use either RJM's Rack Gizmo or Mini Amp Gizmo to change channels on my amp.

I'll still be using the Axe at home thru my studio monitors and using the cab sims etc but I like to use my amp live with the band and having the axe for effects is great solution as all my effects will probably remain the same settings when using the axe both ways. Well maybe some little tweaking here and there lol.

I'm using an SKB 4U Rolling rack case as I want to keep my setup pretty small. I have a power conditioner, the axe fx and I was thinking of using the Rack Gizmo for switching channels on the amp and possibly adding a couple of pedals in my fx loop. If I do it this way I won't have enough room for a rack interface panel I want to get made up.

The other solution is to just get a mini amp gizmo and put that in the back of the rack to change amp channels, and that way I have enough room for the rack panel but I won't be able to add any extra pedals if i choose to. At the moment there is only one pedal which is a Nano POG. I'm pretty sure the axe is able to recreate this effect? If so then I wouldn't need either devices.

I just curious those of you that run the 4CM what do you think is the best solution? And how do you run your 4CM? Have you got extra pedals hooked up or are you just using the Axe?

I'm thinking of going the rack interface panel route as I'll find it easier to connect things on the fly. I'm using the Mastermind GT as well and I have the phantom power box that will be put in my rack also.

Thanks guys

Paul

A power conditioner might just be a fancy extension cord but the two pull out lights on the front of mine and the single 3-prong, front-facing power outlet are some of the most useful things in the world when you need them.

I think a power conditioner is a must have when running rack gear. You never know what some of these venues are like regarding there mains supply. I've been to a few places where they have been really bad. I'd rather have one for piece of mind personally.

I think a power conditioner is a must have when running rack gear. You never know what some of these venues are like regarding there mains supply. I've been to a few places where they have been really bad. I'd rather have one for piece of mind personally.
The thing is, all 'power conditioners' can do for you is to protect against surges. I have an Eaton voltage regulator that indeed does more than this but I am assuming you are talking about one oftheFurman $100-$400 units? If so, you can get the same piece of mind from any power strip with a fuse in it

In the US yes - in the UK absolutely not necessary. WE have THE most stable power supply in the world. Unless you plan to run off generators at some point there just a waste of money. Just run the rack off a surge protected 4 way strip (I have mine screw'd into the roof of my rack, with a power con connector on my panel to feed it).

I have 6U of gear in a 4U rack. My G90 wireless and patch panel are real mounted, with my AFX, Power amp and RAC12 control unit at the front. Works fine.

If I were you Id ditch the conditioner - rear mount the patch panel (you really dont need front panel access live do you? I can understand it in a studio fitted rack where you cant get behind it, but not live) and you would still have 1U spare.

I already explained exactly what these 'conditioners' do. If you want to believe that they do more that is your prerogative. But they do not.

I literally Velcro-ed a surge protection power strip to the drawer in my rack case and I use that instead of a Furman... Call me cheap but it works and saves me a rack space.

Gonna be funny in a year when my rig suffers some power related damage and I curse the day I neglected to buy that voltage regulator....

So is there a fully definite answer on what unit is required to protect from all possible electrical problems?
Preferably something that can be placed in the back of the rack to power just a few devices, not a 19'' rack thing...

In the US yes - in the UK absolutely not necessary. WE have THE most stable power supply in the world. Unless you plan to run off generators at some point there just a waste of money. Just run the rack off a surge protected 4 way strip (I have mine screw'd into the roof of my rack, with a power con connector on my panel to feed it).

I have 6U of gear in a 4U rack. My G90 wireless and patch panel are real mounted, with my AFX, Power amp and RAC12 control unit at the front. Works fine.

If I were you Id ditch the conditioner - rear mount the patch panel (you really dont need front panel access live do you? I can understand it in a studio fitted rack where you cant get behind it, but not live) and you would still have 1U spare.

I was thinking of mounting the patch panel in the back of the rack, its far easier to patch my amp in via the fx loop then. I have some other devices in there as well and was worried they might get in the way. Mini amp gizmo, phantom power box plus i need a VL power supply to power the mini amp gizmo as well. My rack case has some depth to it so it should be ok I'll have to wait and see when I start wiring up. Thanks for the responses guys some interesting views on power conditioners that for sure.

So is there a fully definite answer on what unit is required to protect from all possible electrical problems?
Preferably something that can be placed in the back of the rack to power just a few devices, not a 19'' rack thing...
Not likely--as you can see here in this thread folks do not like to hear that the $250 they spent on 'protection' was a waste of money. The stage lights and add'l outlets are very convenient though, I agree there. But if you read the fine print on any of these Monster/Furman units you will realize that they don't even CLAIM to do anything. Snake oil and clever marketing/packaging.

Sharka hit the nail on the head--if you want REAL protection, buy insurance.

I believe some of the more expensive ones will filter out some small spikes/drops in the supply - and may give closer to a specific voltage. HOWEVER. Firstly small spikes arnt going to damage anything. a Big surge would - but any 4 way with surge protection will do the same. As far as supply - most units will work off a range of voltages. The AFX one for instance is universal - from 240v to 110. If You in the EU and the voltage drops to 220v its still going to work fine.

There is possibly an argument for using such a device for valve amps - as the supply is quite important to how to SOUNDS/FEELS (rather than if its works or not - its still going to work with a small drop/lift in voltage). Reducing the input voltage for instance may change how the power valves respond. There is also the possibility in some countries with noisy supplies that it may lead to audible buzz/hiss and so again, regulation may have a place.

Ultimately though - it depends what your running, and what country your in and how consistent the mains supply is in that location. As I say for the UK its not a problem at all - a surge protected strip is ample protection, even when using valve gear. The EU isnt bad mostly from what I understand. The US is less consistent, and I may be tempted from a sound quality POV to use one with valve gear - but not with digital gear and certainly not if everything has universal modern PSUs.

Hi guys,

I'm finally putting together my Axe Fx 2 rack over the holidays now I have a bit of time on my hands. My plan is to run the 4CM through my Boogie combo and use either RJM's Rack Gizmo or Mini Amp Gizmo to change channels on my amp.

I'll still be using the Axe at home thru my studio monitors and using the cab sims etc but I like to use my amp live with the band and having the axe for effects is great solution as all my effects will probably remain the same settings when using the axe both ways. Well maybe some little tweaking here and there lol.

I'm using an SKB 4U Rolling rack case as I want to keep my setup pretty small. I have a power conditioner, the axe fx and I was thinking of using the Rack Gizmo for switching channels on the amp and possibly adding a couple of pedals in my fx loop. If I do it this way I won't have enough room for a rack interface panel I want to get made up.

The other solution is to just get a mini amp gizmo and put that in the back of the rack to change amp channels, and that way I have enough room for the rack panel but I won't be able to add any extra pedals if i choose to. At the moment there is only one pedal which is a Nano POG. I'm pretty sure the axe is able to recreate this effect? If so then I wouldn't need either devices.

I just curious those of you that run the 4CM what do you think is the best solution? And how do you run your 4CM? Have you got extra pedals hooked up or are you just using the Axe?

I'm thinking of going the rack interface panel route as I'll find it easier to connect things on the fly. I'm using the Mastermind GT as well and I have the phantom power box that will be put in my rack also.

Thanks guys

Paul

A little off topic but out of curiosity why didn't you go with the FX8? it has the option to amp switch built in and is optimized for 4CM and doesn't need to be rack mounted.

Back
Top Bottom