What [short] coiled cable do you like for playing at your desk?

CodePoet

Fractal Fanatic
I have my Axe-Fx III on top of my desk right next to me. I like using a short coiled cable into it - it's probably 18" coiled, 10'-ish stretched - to keep the cable off the floor. Need to source a backup and/or upgraded one. Are there any similar short high-quality coiled cables you like to use for desktop jamming? Most pre-made coiled cables seem to be of the long variety. Or any raw coiled cables that could be built? Thanks for any help!

There aren't a lot of coiled cable manufacturers out there. Maybe contact Lava and see if they'll do a shorter-than-20' cable for you? Remember, the lengths are uncoiled lengths that are quoted on the packaging. So coiled, they'll be considerable shorter, right?

There aren't a lot of coiled cable manufacturers out there. Maybe contact Lava and see if they'll do a shorter-than-20' cable for you? Remember, the lengths are uncoiled lengths that are quoted on the packaging. So coiled, they'll be considerable shorter, right?

Yes, coiled they're much shorter. Was thinking about cutting and re-soldering but I guess it’d be best done by cutting a section out and joining it in the middle of the coiled section since there are straight sections leading to each plug. Not sure how good I could pull that off :). Anyway, a minor problem indeed.

Coiled cables are made straight then wound around a mandrel and heated and cooled to fix the coiled shape. You can usually heat part of the cable slowly with a heat gun or hair dryer to soften it and straighten it back out as needed. You might want to wrap a cool wet towel around the coiled part you don't want to straighten to act as a heat sink while you do the reheating.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom