What recording software.....

Looking into setting up some home recording software for my new axe fx, what software are you guys using and why? Inc interfaces etc etc

Cheers!!

I use Sonar X3 home version...there is a serious learning curve. I also have a ZED10 mixer which also has a TC helicon voiceworks feeding into it. I use the USB out through mixer but this does not produce seperate tracks for vocal and guitar. I also have a USB out from Axe into Computer for recording Guitar only....works well enough.

I also use Sonar, Cakewalk, since the 90's. But a ton of folks will chime in and say Reaper-why, it's free. Used to be, maybe $50 now.

I don't like it but others do.

DAWS-They ALL have a learning curve, depends how far you want to go. All the big daws are Good, simple as that. One is NOT better than the other, it is a choice made by the individual.

Cubase user here. When I was a youngun who had no money I pirated it years ago. Got used to it. Years later when I got into recording again and had money I purchased it. I like the drum mapping option a lot in it too.

It'll come down to whatever you want to learn though. For the most part the bigger DAW programs are pretty damn equal.

I use Digital Performer. Of course I'm on a Mac, although the newest DP is PC compatible now I believe. I use Metric Halo ULN-8 interface/mic pres, because it's simply the best! :)

Reaper is the way to go.

+1

It's awesome. Fantastic support forum, smart workflow, low buy-in price, etc.

Ultimately, you'll pick one and learn it - it's that simple. I'd come from Logic, Studio and Cubase. I liked Reaper.

Cubase user here. When I was a youngun who had no money I pirated it years ago. Got used to it. Years later when I got into recording again and had money I purchased it. I like the drum mapping option a lot in it too.

It'll come down to whatever you want to learn though. For the most part the bigger DAW programs are pretty damn equal.

Which version do you have?

FL Studio for writing songs and arranging all the insruments! Best midi editng software out there!

Cakewalk SONAR for recording Audio and final mixing.

Looking into setting up some home recording software for my new axe fx, what software are you guys using and why? Inc interfaces etc etc

Cheers!!
I started using Motu's Performer and now Digital Performer, and have no plans to change .. also owned Pro Tools over the years, many versions of software and hardware, but don't use it now, nothing wrong with Pro Tools, just don't need it.
Using Millennia preamps, and various interfaces from Motu and Metric Halo.

I mostly use Studio One v2 (2.5.1).. I also use Reaper a lot.

Use Live 8 as it's nice for trying to flesh out ideas. I really like the session manager.

Own Sonar X1/X2, but I don't like it. It seems pretty bloated, is slow on my box and fairly buggy. YMMV.

I've demo'd Cubase and that was not a fun experience.

For interface, I am using M-Audio Firewire 410 that I've had for years.. It works great. I recently "upgraded" to a Focusrite 18i6 and had numerous problems, so for now sticking with the 410.

Samplitude PRO X Suite. It's not as popular in the US as others, tho. Most intuitive to me. I demo'd several before deciding; Ableton, Sonar, Cubase, Reaper, FL Studio, N-Studio, Sound Forge, Studio One Pro, Samplitude. For one thing, I didn't want something that required a dongle they are a PIA to me. Try as many as you can, long enough to get an idea. When you decide on that works well with your OS and fits YOU, stick with it. They all have +/-. For an interface, I have a Fastrack Ultra, and the Axe II of course. Using a Sony laptop 8gb ram.

I dig reaper.. I also like Logic and Sonar (been a while since I've used sonar so things may have changed).

You can use Reaper free for 30 days which, if you have some time to sit down, is a good length to get some of the learning curve down. A license is also cheap and the program gets amazing support.

Cakewalk Sonar X2. I´ve been using Cakewalk since it was a simple midi sequencer for DOS, contained in one single 3.5" floppy disk.

RME Fireface 400 - High quality and plenty of inputs, outputs, and route options.

Back
Top Bottom