What recording software can i use best?

inbouwer

Inspired
Hi guys, i am in a band and we do some things with a miditemp (wave or mp3 files)

Normally our keyboard player does all the recordings in his homestudio in Apple's Logic.

I don't have time enough to travel to him and do my recordings there.

Is there a program for Windows 7 that is suitable for importing to into Logic?

Then i can email my recorded files and he can edit thim in his studio..

Suggestions are much appreciated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use reaper and have had some great success with it. The home license is quite cheap compared to other daws. They have a non expiring trial version which is worth trying. I usually share my projects with our other guitarist via Dropbox.

I hope this helps.

Good luck

It sounds like you need something cheap and easy to use. I second Reaper.

How easy and how quick a workflow you have with your keyboard player is dependent on a working method between you both. You'll need to sort that out first when you have your DAW up and running, you'll need to sort out sample rates, bit depths, the start point of each file...... it's not just as simple as recording it on tape and handing it to him.

I wouldn't recommend any of the main ones (Cubase, Protools, Samplitude [on complication, overkill, and cost grounds], Reason [cost grounds], Ableton Live [you need to be pretty on the money with your timing], or Logic [you need a mac]).

I've never used Sonar, Digital Performer or any others.

Ok, thank you all your helpful input!

Indeed, i do want to keep it cheap but ofcourse also easy, i do have a dayjob and a family so this takes a lot of free time ;) ....
It is not that i record my guitar often for this band but as long that i am the only guitar player here some song just can't sound right with 1 guitar only.
We are a coverband and i would like to get myself busy with the song from Kings Of Leon ; Wait for Me.
Very cool song with atleast 3 or 4 different guitars.

I have only very little expierience with recording myself, about 10 years ago i did some stuff with Cubase, that worked oke for me but i don't really know if it would be to use with Logic.
So thanks for answering my question and i will check out Reaper first!

Studio One works well for me and is pretty easy to learn.

Yeah Studio One is pretty nice and simple, good sound too.

Avoid Ableton Live for recording actual instruments, really screws with the audio quality i've found and so have others, I A/B tested it vs Audacity and the sound difference was massive, this is with all the settings turned to max and warping etc off.

But yeah the best for sure are (in no order)

PreSonus Studio One
ProTools
Cubase
Reaper
Samplitude

If you want simplicity of use, Studio One is excellent.

If you do have a Mac, you get a LOT of bang for the buck with Logic. A LOT of great resources (including soft synths, drummer, sampler, and convolution reverb) for just $200.

I used to be a Sonar user. I have always liked them too, but decided to go Mac.

No mac = No Logic, even though Logic ProX is great value for money.

Truth is that there is very little to separate all the differing DAWs. They have their pros and cons.

Given that a full license is $60 (discounted through their 'honest business' policy, which most probably applies to you), this beats even the educational editions of the other DAWs (which you are unable to upgrade), and you will have a fully legitimate DAW at your disposal.

On cost grounds alone, this is a no brainer, and I don't even use Reaper.

If you have managed to use Cubase in the past, you will have no problem with any DAW. The terminology tends to be the most different thing about them.

Reaper....

Cheap, polished, great docs online... Liked it so much, I bought the license. License gives ya a lot of updates.

Hi guys, thank you all for your advice.

Years ago i have used Cubase 4 or 5 something, i believe, so i know a little of Cubase but maybe it's best that i switch to Logic.
I have to learn it all over probably, so i better learn Logic i guess.
My collegue uses Logic, he can learn me the basic steps and maybe some tricks, also he has many plug-ins, this way it is very easy to share files and be able to load them without problems.

So i am looking for a second hand Mac Mini now, I guess Logic could work on a mac like this?
It is small and for the times that i use it, i can share monitor with my PC.
This is cheaper then an Imac or Macbook....

We'll see how it works out.

Sonar producer version is what I use and it is an awesome recordfing software. This software is for professional use and has everything needed to produce excellent quality recordings.

If you are prepared to spend enough to buy a mac and logic, things open up considerably...... and there really isn't much to separate the DAWs. It's just a question of learning the software.

I cannot stress this enough..... check the system requirements!

Also, Logic Pro X is now 64 bit only and there is no bridge between 32 bit and 64 bit plugins within the DAW any more. There are workarounds, but if your friend is running Logic Pro 9 in 32 bit mode, then there may be issues with plugin compatability.

The choice in DAW is so subjective it's like "what's the best pickup or guitar for...?".

Personally, I use Cubase but there are several that I have never tried and would like to. I tried Sonar, Reaper, and Mixcraft but had trouble with plugins loading correctly or not loading at all. Probably user error, but I had no problems whatsoever with Cubase.

I also love the drum editor in Cubase. Makes programming drums so easy. I can't stand using a piano roll and can't believe that there's so many DAWs on the market that don't have a drum editor.

If you are prepared to spend enough to buy a mac and logic, things open up considerably...... and there really isn't much to separate the DAWs. It's just a question of learning the software.

I cannot stress this enough..... check the system requirements!

Also, Logic Pro X is now 64 bit only and there is no bridge between 32 bit and 64 bit plugins within the DAW any more. There are workarounds, but if your friend is running Logic Pro 9 in 32 bit mode, then there may be issues with plugin compatability.

I have only money to buy a second hand Mini.
My eye fell on this:

Mac Mini 2.0 from 2009.

Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Internal memory: 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Hdd: 320 GB

I will also use Logic 9 because of the plug-ins.
And my friend uses that too on 32 bit.

Do you think that will be good enough?

I have only money to buy a second hand Mini.
My eye fell on this:

Mac Mini 2.0 from 2009.

Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Internal memory: 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Hdd: 320 GB

I will also use Logic 9 because of the plug-ins.
And my friend uses that too on 32 bit.

Do you think that will be good enough?

Off the top of my head, I would say yes.

Your main issues are the processor speed and hard drive size. You can record onto a USB external, so no worries there. Double check the processor speed with the minimum system requirements.

If you aren't doing a lot of processing, and you meet the minimum, you're good to go. You can directly share projects and import parts of projects between Logic systems. The full 8 GB ram is not accessable from 32 bit programs as they can only access a maximum of 4GB. The OS from 2009 (if it's not been upgraded) is not an issue either. Logic 9 will work with it.

I'd say you're good to go.

Thanks for your reply!

I am meeting the seller on friday, so i will cross my fingers that the mini is not less then that ;)

I actually did not find the minimum processor speed for Logic. Lets hope it will work then...

Back
Top Bottom