What Recording DAW & Interface............?

X-Mann

Experienced
Hey guys,

I'm new to Fractal & have a quick questions for everyone.

What DAW are you using & interface to connect to your Axe-Fx? Do you like it/love it & what would you recommend?

Note: I've only used Pro-Tools LE (for the last 5-years) & my interface has been the Eleven Rack. It's what got me into digital recording & I've made great use of it. I run it on a Mac & just upgraded to El Captain & now nothing works due to this.

I'm trying to figure out what to do next here & thinking about going in another direction.

Thanks in advance w/ any help here & it's fine if you just drop in and state what you currently use too!

Peace! X-Mann

PS - I want to record full songs as well as clean audio for demo videos.

I'm using Reaper...
Pro-Tools LE should work with the AxeFx II, XL and XL+ as it's own audio interface over USB.

Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, and or Persons Studio 1. I use UAD Apollo interface. Everything works seamlessly. I have used the Axe as an interface as well, but I really like using UAD plugins and interface because they sound excellent.

Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, and or Persons Studio 1. I use UAD Apollo interface. Everything works seamlessly. I have used the Axe as an interface as well, but I really like using UAD plugins and interface because they sound excellent.
Ok, as a Mac guy, I'm intregued by the Logic Pro X software.

One because it sounds just fatastic from the on-line reviews.

Two - Because it does NOT require an ilok at all.

& three, it's got an "X" built right into the product name! :D

I'd be using it w/ the Axe-Fx II XL+ as the interface too.

I'd love to hear any more thoughts on the Logic Pro X software & I really appreciate everyone's time & input here.

X

Pro Logic X and Apollo Twin Duo (Thunderbolt) working great for me.

Pro Logic is as easy to work with as Garageband but with massive extensions (you can click them on/off in the preferences to clear the panel) I'm coming from Ableton and i never used Ableton again ...

Pro Logic X and Apollo Twin Duo (Thunderbolt) working great for me.

Pro Logic is as easy to work with as Garageband but with massive extensions (you can click them on/off in the preferences to clear the panel) I'm coming from Ableton and i never used Ableton again ...
Awesome info!

I'm coming from Pro-Tools LE & I got locked out due to El Captain! I also used the 11-Rack as my interface as well, but now I'll use the Axe Fx II XL+

X

Ok, as a Mac guy, I'm intregued by the Logic Pro X software.

One because it sounds just fatastic from the on-line reviews.

Two - Because it does NOT require an ilok at all.

& three, it's got an "X" built right into the product name! :D

I'd be using it w/ the Axe-Fx II XL+ as the interface too.

I'd love to hear any more thoughts on the Logic Pro X software & I really appreciate everyone's time & input here.

X

Logic Pro X has been great.. Good work flow, easy to use and good features. I still use PT for some things but Logic is super easy to work in and has been rock solid. I know you are going to use the Axe as the interface which works well with Logic, bu I highly recommend the UAD apollo interfaces. Built in DSP, great plug ins and sound quality is top notch.

Axe XL, utilizing USB or AES/EBU to Mackie d8b connected via Firewire through a Presonus Lightbridge to Mac Mini with Logic Pro X.

I use a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 and Reaper.

Focusrite makes great interfaces that sound good, are relatively inexpensive and have rock solid drivers. You can probably find a used Saffire or Scarlett series interface on Craigslist for next to nothing.

Reaper has a 60-day trial and is only $60 after that. It's very lightweight (installer is under 20mb) and incredibly customization. It has no built-in instruments, but that may or may not matter to you. I just use free Native Instruments VST's and that fills in all the gaps for me. Their forum is second to none for friendly, knowledgeable users to are always happy to help.

http://www.reaper.fm/

Avid had an upgrade path to full ProTools for select devices that supported LE... I was able to get PT11 for $200 via this program because I had an Mbox.

I currently use the Axe Fx as my interface, since I'm only recording guitar and bass.

Works for me, I like PT and understand it... And it's what my engineer and most pro studios use, so is a convenience there.

The other guitarist in my band just got Logic and seems to like it. We did some work with it the other day for fun and it seems good for songwriting use. Beyond that, I don't have much info.

I've had Logic Pro X and Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 for about six months now. I know my set up (routing) could still be optimized, I'm simply going analog from XL into interface. I have many questions, but typical general answers just go over my head (I prefer examples with the actual gear I'm trying to learn) How I wish there were "Tips and tricks for Logic Pro X and Axe FX II users", "Logic Pro X for guitarists", "101 Axe Fx routing possibilities", "Re-amping for Dummies", tutorials, books, etc.

For now I have a Logic Pro X certification course book and an XL .pdf manual of Firmware 15 to help me get by.

AxeII into Reaper. No complaints. Templates, customization, VSTs for FX work seamlessly, I dig it.

I just go straight into Reaper via USB, no issues.

I've seen your vids over on TGP man....you're a beast. Welcome to Fractal!

AxeII into Reaper. No complaints. Templates, customization, VSTs for FX work seamlessly, I dig it.

I just go straight into Reaper via USB, no issues.

I've seen your vids over on TGP man....you're a beast. Welcome to Fractal!
Lol.....Thanks!!!! I'm a chubby/married guy w/ 3-boys & not a smart Mann, but I know what love is! :rolleyes::p

You guys have all provided great info & I've been looking into all of it too!

I'll make a decision VERY soon & let you know what I changed over to.

I gotta run.....I think the UPS just showed up! :D

I am such a Mac/Apple fan that for $200, I'm leaning towards Logic Pro X at this point & I'll start off w/ USB recording through the Axe-Fx II XL +.

The real question is what amp model to check out 1st? Friedman, Bogner , EVH, oh my!!!! :eek:

Thank you all & as of today.....I'm an official Fractite! Wait.....or a Fractafornian.....hmmm.....that's not right....A major Fact-Hole? Or....maybe aXe-Mann XL+?

X

Last edited:
Dude....throw an 808 in front of the Smallbox, stereo ultrares cabs, #s 60 and 61. Little bit of delay. It smashes HARD.

Interested to see what you think regarding how easy it is to get usable tones quick. Also interested to see what you think of the stock presets.....I've never used a modeler before where the stock presets actually sounded good enough to record with, until the AxeII.

Incredibly, the Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD isn't a bad interface. For $60, it works for my needs, for now. Any noise issues are almost certainly related to the crappy electrical in this house, and not being able to get far enough away from sources of interference.

Adobe Audition 3.0
Why? Because Adobe released it into the wild a few years ago, free, due to end-of-life and deactivation of activation servers.
And because it has complete WAV editing, including spectral view editing.
And because it supports VSTi.
No interface except the Axe.

Back
Top Bottom