What reamping method have you had the best success with?

guittarzzan

Inspired
I'm in the process of getting my home studio room and gear set back up and dialed in after moving and am setting up some Switchblade presets for various guitar signal chains etc and want to hear what methods you guys have used for reamping and what do you feel gives you the best results.
Specifically, I'm interested in signal paths. Like, do you track the dry track from analog outs or digital outs and when you reamp, do you go back into the Axefx digitally or analog etc?

I'm sure it will be a trial and error experience for me, but I'm just curious what you guys have done that has given you the best results and maintained the quality of your original, dry track.

thanks!!

guittarzzan said:
Good grief! Is no one here doing any reamping? Alllllrighty then! ;)

If I am going to reamp, I just use a buffer splitter and go into my DAW instrument in. I monitor with my axe-fx using a similar tone to what I am going for and can record that if I wish.

I take the unprocessed track out to a Radial ProMP studio Reamper into the Axe-fx front and match the signal level of the original guitar.

going digital in may be more pristine but doesn't mesh with my work flow.

I use a MOTU Traveler and run the digital AES out from the Axe for the main signal.

I add a loop to my patches at the beginning of the chain and take the clean signal from that for reamping and to feed StroboSoft.

With the Traveler mixer (Cue-Mix) it's easy-peasy.

Do some of you guys actually do it totally digital? Like reamping with axe-fxs s/pdif in/out with your audiointerface s/pdif in/out? I've tried the one on the wiki several times but haven't figured it out with my interface at least. Read very varying posts about this as well, so I'm unsure if it's doable.

A key component for reamping for me is a Millennia TD-1 preamp/direct box. I record the guitar directly through the TD-1 to the recorder. For reamping, I run the recorded guitar signal back through the TD-1 which has outputs that provide the impedance of a single coil or humbucker pickup. This is the signal I run into the Axe-FX (front input). From the Axe-FX I go digital to the recorder. So the entire signal path is analog except for the last leg from the Axe-FX to the recorder.

Dave

I'm doing it fully digital. I made a wiki article about it long ago.

Basically i dial in a patch that's close to what I want. Then I disconnect the wet signal inside the patch from out (which would be digital out) but connect it via the FX loop block to out2 (which is where I have my monitor amp connected),
Then I place a long line of shunts parallel from left to right, which routes my unchanged guitar signal to digital out. It's a little difficult to explain without an image, maybe I do this later at some point.

I record then only the digital signal (dry). This recorded signal I then later feed back into the AxeFx, voila.

But the thing is, I rarely do reamping, I'm simply to lazy for it. But in reality it is fairly quick, it just takes 2 minutes to setup.

There is another thing why I usually don't do it: After 10 minutes trying to tweak the patch to fit into my mix, I hear it's different, but not what's better.

I used to run a set of shunts from input to output and pan this signal to one side and my "wet" signal to the other. Then I recorded digital into Pro Tools, with left being "wet" and right being "dry" (i.e. guitar-only). I then reamped sending analog out of my Digi 003 into the AxeFX front input. I had issues running digital in and out with a Digi 003. Should try this again now that AxeFX Ver 9 is out and ProTools is updated.

The downside with this approach is that you can't play or record in stereo.

Currently, I put an FX block at my patch input, send my guitar-only signal through Output 2 and into a line input on my Digi 003. My wet signal (stereo usually) goes digital into the 003. When I want to reamp I'll feed an analog signal back into the front of the AxeFx, and then go digital back into the 003. I found that I have to set Output 2's level to 9:00 for everything to match.

The downside with this approach is that you have to disable the FX block if you want to monitor using Output 2. Also, any EQ applied to Output 2 for monitoring will mess with your guitar-only signal. You have to remember to dial everything flat when recording.

It would be very convenient to split off the guitar signal before the AxeFX, like javajunkie is doing.

Terry.

Tone Seeker said:
I used to run a set of shunts from input to output and pan this signal to one side and my "wet" signal to the other. Then I recorded digital into Pro Tools, with left being "wet" and right being "dry" (i.e. guitar-only). I then reamped sending analog out of my Digi 003 into the AxeFX front input. I had issues running digital in and out with a Digi 003. Should try this again now that AxeFX Ver 9 is out and ProTools is updated.

Currently, I put an FX block at my patch input, send my guitar-only signal through Output 2 and into a line input on my Digi 003. My wet signal (stereo usually) goes digital into the 003. When I want to reamp I'll feed an analog signal back into the front of the AxeFx, and then go digital back into the 003. I found that I have to set Output 2's level to 9:00 for everything to match.

The downside with this approach is that you have to disable the FX block if you want to monitor using Output 2. Also, any EQ applied to Output 2 for monitoring will mess with your guitar-only signal. You have to remember to dial everything flat when recording.

It would be very convenient to split off the guitar signal before the AxeFX, like javajunkie is doing.

Terry.

Why can´t you record in stereo ? When you reamp the way you describe you should be able to get stereo out whether you go out of the Axe digitally or analog.
Another way of doing it is to run a "dry" (=all shunt) signal to output 1 or 2, and use the other ( output 1 or 2) to monitor with a sound similar to the type of sound you expect to use when reamping. Then you can reamp all you want afterwards - in stereo. In other words you don´t have to split the signal outside the Axe.

Rocket Brother said:
[quote="Tone Seeker":2r36qe8x]I used to run a set of shunts from input to output and pan this signal to one side and my "wet" signal to the other. Then I recorded digital into Pro Tools, with left being "wet" and right being "dry" (i.e. guitar-only). I then reamped sending analog out of my Digi 003 into the AxeFX front input. I had issues running digital in and out with a Digi 003. Should try this again now that AxeFX Ver 9 is out and ProTools is updated.

Terry.

Why can´t you record in stereo ? When you reamp the way you describe you should be able to get stereo out whether you go out of the Axe digitally or analog.[/quote:2r36qe8x]
In the first approach I can't simultaneously record a guitar-only signal ("dry") and a normal AxeFX signal ("wet) in stereo because I use the left channel for the "wet" signal and the right channel for "dry".

Rocket Brother said:
Another way of doing it is to run a "dry" (=all shunt) signal to output 1 or 2, and use the other ( output 1 or 2) to monitor with a sound similar to the type of sound you expect to use when reamping. Then you can reamp all you want afterwards - in stereo. In other words you don´t have to split the signal outside the Axe.
That's what I'm doing in the second approach I described. The dry signal goes to Output 2 and the wet signal goes to Output 1. I can record a mono dry signal (or stereo if I wanted it) and a stereo wet signal simultaneously.

Terry.

Analog reamping here. I use a VHT Valvulator to split the signal so I have some toobey goodness going on in my dry signal. It's also a nice way to buffer the signal if I'm not in the control room.

1st phase, digital via S/PDIF

* Route the Input on the AxeFx with a complete line of shunts to the output.
* If you want to monitor your playing (and who wouldn't?), place a FX loop as the last block in your effect patch AND DISCONNECT IT FROM THE OUTPUT. This results in Out2 having the monitor signal, and Out1 contains the dry signal. I usually don't store this patch.
* Connect Out1 S/PDIF to your soundcards S/PDIF in.
* Select AxeFx as the sync master.
* Record.

2nd phase, digital via S/PDIF

* FIRST SWITCH OF EVERY MONITOR THAT IS ATTACHED TO OUT 1. There will be very ugly signals in a very loud volume which could result in either you being totally shellshocked (been there, done that) or your speakers visiting you. Or both.
* IMPORTANT: Select your soundcard as the sync master, and select 48kHz.
* Connect your soundcards S/PDIF output to the AxeFx.
* In the I/O configuration, switch to 'DIGITAL'. This results as well in ugly, but short signals on all outputs.
* Connect your AxeFx S/PDIF out to your soundcards S/PDIF in.
* Route the dry recorded signal (the one we have recorded before) in your DAW to the S/PDIF output of your soundcard (that may be the hardest part, there's a few errors you can make here). Since there is a variety of recording programs and soundcards, I can't give any specific advice.
* Play the song in loop, there must be a signal incoming on the AxeFx. Depending on your soundcard, it may be necessary to solo the track with the dry recording.
* Twist your sound until happy.
* Record the wet signal on your soundcards S/PDIF in.

Ok, I got the first phase: Record your DI's, done.

2nd phase I get totally lost on. When I switch to digital in the I/O conf. there's a loud constant sinuswave annoying me to death. What am I doing wrong? I've tried switching the interface to being the master sync but there's just no difference.
Also why can't I find a spdif out? There's just front l/r to choose from. (from the Outputs, on inputs I can find all cool stuff like spdif in, line-in aso)

Creative x-fi fatality soundcard and Cubase using, I am. Getting digital reamping to work, I cannot.

Back
Top Bottom