what presets to try the first time with an AX8

Chiguete

Experienced
What are the go-to presets to test for the first time an AX8 and see what it's capable of? Hopefully this weekend I will get mine and I want to see what it can do straight of the bat :)

What are the go-to presets to test for the first time an AX8 and see what it's capable of? Hopefully this weekend I will get mine and I want to see what it can do straight of the bat :)

Depends on what you like to play.

The presets can go from super clean, blues crunch, very dark jazz to obviously high gain...

But eventually you will stop using them and build your own, believe me. The factory presets are more like a starting point ;)

Just start switching through the presets as you're playing and write down the ones you like/dislike. You can then overwrite the ones you didn't like with new presets built from scratch, or you can copy the ones you did like into those slots and use them as a test presets for trying new things or tweaking to your satisfaction.

I would say start off making your own presets from scratch and forget the factory presets! Especially if you are just firing it up for the first time!!! It's really not to difficult and that way the tones will be specific to your guitar.

Start with just an amp and a cab. Then add FX in the same way you would if you were building a real hardware rig. This will shorten the learning curve significant! Just think about it like you would if you were individually purchasing each block you add.

I just spent some time auditioning the new factory presets. There are some great sounds. A lot depends what type of guitar you are using. For les Paul the Marshall type amps sound amazing. The silver jubilee and the Friedman were my favorite.

I liked "DoubleVerb" because it resembles very much my analog rig and offers several Scenes...

I would definitely GO THRU THE PRESETS. It's crazy not to IMHO. This will let you hear things you like and don't like. Write down the ones you like as mentioned. I don't get why people suggest this to new users. Listen and go thru and have some fun for a couple of hours.

Reactions: Ole
I just spent some time auditioning the new factory presets. There are some great sounds. A lot depends what type of guitar you are using. For les Paul the Marshall type amps sound amazing. The silver jubilee and the Friedman were my favorite.

What new factory presets? Did I miss something?

What new factory presets? Did I miss something?

EDIT: Ah new set came out for AX8 nearly Cool!

as I wrote this....I think he means the new AXefxII preset banks. Using the fractool you can audition and convert them for the AX8

Last edited:
I tried a few of them for about 20 minutes then proceed to build my own tone to get the soun I'm use to with my two JCM 800's and 1960's packed w/EV speakers, it took me a few hours but I was able to satisfy myself so my recommendation is go for it and start tweaking!

Back
Top Bottom