What Preamp's are you guys using in the Cab block?? or are you.

jazzgtrl4

Experienced
So far Ive been using the Vintage setting for my acoustic patch. Used with my Godin steel string Multiac.. the cab block is a tone match of my Eric Clapton martin acoustic..sounds reallyyyy nice.!

I like the tape 50 and 70..Modern is cool too.

I'm mostly using 35 or 50 tape. Settings mostly like Scott Peterson's recommendations, except I'm "mostly" bumping the drive up to around 4; Saturation at 2; EQ at 1/1.5 & 2.

I'm typically more into the classic rock/blues/modern rock tones. Not so much headbanger/metal and not so much folksy vintage.

Last edited:
I'm mostly using 35 or 50 tape. Settings mostly like Scott Peterson's recommendations, except I'm "mostly" bumping the drive up to around 5 or 6; Saturationa at 2; EQ at 1/1.5 & 2.

I'm typically more into the classic rock/blues/modern rock tones. Not so much headbanger/metal and not so much folksy vintage.

Drive so high? What does that actually do?

Bipolar and vintage. Set high quality rest at defaults. Using medium-high gain amp settings. Adds just a nice little 'something'.

Adds just a nice little 'something'.

Exactly. I just got the band's tracks from 11/23 and from 12/14, and the firmware came out in between those two dates. I made new presets, but we played one of the same songs, so I compared. The pre-amp adds a warmth and beefiness...a connectedness, that isn't something you'd notice if it was missing, per se, but when A/B'ing the same song played with the new firmware, it sounds "more betterer".

Between these preamps within the Axe Fx and new (to me) use of Slate VCC I'm a very happy music addict :)

Would it make sense or help to have an input meter so we could adjust in a more traditional way?

I all depends on how loud the amp block is set, If the amp level is low you have to turn the drive up.
I tried turning up the drive, but it reduced the level - will go to zero at full drive.
That is counter intuitive to me. So i'm not sure what to make of it.

I'm using the Vintage or Tape 50.

Drive to taste (usually I turn the drive up until my levels are sitting just under 0db. I like the thickness it adds as the preamp starts to hit the point where it overdrives) and EQ to taste.
Adds a little something to my patches and the EQ is handy as quick tone shaper too.

I tried turning up the drive, but it reduced the level - will go to zero at full drive.
That is counter intuitive to me. So i'm not sure what to make of it.
Are You sure that you are not talking about the saturation parameter? It winds up compressing the signal if You turn it up really high.

I'm mostly using 35 or 50 tape. Settings mostly like Scott Peterson's recommendations, except I'm "mostly" bumping the drive up to around 4; Saturation at 2; EQ at 1/1.5 & 2.

Correction: After getting home from work I realized I'd mis-spoken - I'm mostly setting the Drive in the Cabs-Preamps to around 4 (not 6); Saturation at 2; EQ at 1/1.5/2.0. High Quality. I played with it a lot this last week, and this is the area that seemed to land in the sweet spot, for a lot of my presets. I'm mostly not using the Factory Preset list, so it may be different with those patches; I refer to the Factory Presets for ideas sometimes, but have mostly set up my patches from scratch, with a more-or-less standard layout.

Are You sure that you are not talking about the saturation parameter? It winds up compressing the signal if You turn it up really high.
Thanks, javajunkie. It starts to happen when either is pushed past about 2 o'clock. The signal falls by about -18db when drive is set full on, and more than that when saturation is full on. I guess that makes sense in order to differentiate 'drive' and 'saturation' from 'gain' and 'level', and signal level can be compensated for by increasing level in the preamp tab. So it's all good.

I've been using the Modern preamp setting with just a touch of drive and saturation for my playing presets; it seems to be less 'aggressive' vs other types for the same Drive/Sat settings and I like how it 'dials-in'. The Tape 50 is another one I like....

Am working on a recording project over the holidays and am going to play a lot with the various preamps/tones/IR's a full mix that is pretty dense (two guitars, lots of keys)...might find another type that I like better in that context.

Thanks, javajunkie. It starts to happen when either is pushed past about 2 o'clock. The signal falls by about -18db when drive is set full on, and more than that when saturation is full on. I guess that makes sense in order to differentiate 'drive' and 'saturation' from 'gain' and 'level', and signal level can be compensated for by increasing level in the preamp tab. So it's all good.

The knob setting is going to depend on your bank block level. Don't worry so much about the knob setting, but on the vu meter level that is in the cab block. Keep it under 0db.

IME each amp/cab combination, and the amount of distortion being used, will determine which preamp sounds best. I just flick through them all and then use the one that sounds the best at the time. The only ones I haven't found myself liking much are the FET preamps.

Back
Top Bottom