What Power Amps are everyone using?

prater76

I'm in the market for a rack poweramp for my axe fx 2, what are you guys using? and is tube or mosfet a better choice with the axe fx 2?

I use alot of the metal amps in the axe fx 2 and im using 2 peavey 4x12's with vintage 30's......

I'm currently using a Matrix GT1000 and enjoying it a lot. I'm also really keen to get my hands on one of the new 1u Fryette power amps when they're available. I think between that and the Matrix I'll have a best of both worlds scenario for any situation I'll find myself in.

As for what is a better choice, tube or solid state, I think that'll mostly come down to what you personally prefer. If you're using a tube power amp that imparts a lot of colour to the tone, you'd perhaps benefit from running the axe without the power amp sim section engaged. Whereas with the Matrix, it really likes the Axe power amp modelling. There's not really a right or wrong there, whatever sounds better to your ear.

That's on my radar also Csg. I think if I'm not sold on the Fryette when I get my hands on one, I'll give the RC a go.

I just got a Matrix GT1000FX during Axe-fest and I'm really impressed. It has tons of power in a 1 user rack space. I also use a QSC K10, which works great as well. What's cool is when I make them the same loudness they sound exactly the same, and that's proof, that what Im hearing, is nothing but Axe-fx goodness and nothing else.

I have a Randall RT-2/50 w/EL-34's. Of all of the power amps I've owned over the years, I've pitched my tent with the Randall for a number of years now. The Axe sounds "incredible" through it. However, the way the Axe sounds direct, I may never go back to using power amps and cabs again... we'll see.

Matrix GM50 and Atomic 50/50.

The GM50 is great for portability. Mount it into the back of a 1x12, done.

The 50/50 is heavy but sounds even better. The highs are more natural.

Back
Top Bottom