What power amp do you use with your FM3?

What kind of power amp do you use with the FM3 for live / rehearsal?

• Total voters
Just started using a Matrix power amp with the FM3 with a 4x12 cab with greenbacks. So far so good. Adding some high end is a requirement for it to sound like a guitar amp. I suspect the matrix has some high end roll off, but I haven’t measured anything yet.

Seymore Duncan Powerstage 170 or I use my Xitone MBrit with the Matrix GM XT 100. I can't see the need or want to use tubes with the 3 series, it's so perfect

Dynacord AXM 12 A Monitor which sounds very good and has enough power from jazz to rock (also with our Motörhead Tribute). Curious about the new Redsound Elis 8 (maybe only Europe) which i am waiting for. Also Henriksen Bud and a Quilter Frontliner (with a lot of EQing).

Powerstage 170 / Marshall 412.
Sounds fine, but doesn't seem to have a lot of 'push' compared to the Mesa Roadster the other guitarist is using. Boosted leads seem to dissapear. So, I've dusted off the MkIII and its ridiculously punchy Simul-Class power section. 6L6+KT77 goodness. Running the JP-2c model into the effects return. Sounds awesome so far. Tomorrow I should be able to crank it and see how it scales up.
This combo sounded really, really good. But I felt it was 'too much Mark' for my current project. Needs to be more 'Marshally'. So I dusted off my C6A7 loaded Stiletto and worked up some Friedman tones to slam it with. Worked a charm! Plenty of level and boost headroom. The 170 is a cool piece of gear, just wasn't getting it done in a loud 70s cover band. The 170 is now part of my 'Oh, #$@&' bag.

None of above...
Stereo Digital Power Amp.
Use it with other modellers in the past and now with the FM3.
Sometimes with Guitar Cabs 4x12 or 2x12 or both (at gigs sometimes with other Cabs available from the co-bands) and now with 2 1x12 Thiele/Smalls selfmade Cabs with Eminence Beta12A.
To adjust overall sound to cabs the amp has Resonance and Presence control at each channel and if this not working (most time it does) i use Out EQ, especially for Cabs with guitar speakers. I`ve done EQ setting for my guitar Cabs while listeneing to the Eminence 1x12 to get nearly the same sound.
Works fine and 2x100W RMS at 8 Ohm is quite enough.

Last edited:
Racoon, you mean class D power? Its another version of solid state really. There isn't a purely digital power amp out there. We live in the analog domain my friend, otherwise we aren't moving air, only 0s and 1s.

Back
Top Bottom