What pickups for HSS guitar ?? 80s 90s Glam / Hard rock / Blues sound ***

Hello!

I think its time to upgrade an old custom hss guitar ( with no name pickups... too "thin" for me ) with a pickup set in order to achieve an 80s 90s hard rock / fusion sound. I was about to put also in bridge and neck ... the SD 59' and as for the middle... i dont know... because to be honest i dont use it at all!

First i would like your opinion about 59' for neck and (also) bridge... but i would like to suggest me and other choices !

Thanx in advance

what about Lace Pickups Deluxe Plus Set.. ?
I came in to advice this. I have this in my ‘95 Fender Strat Plus Deluxe:

Bridge: Lace red dually with mini toggle to select only 1 of the coils) originally this was a red single coil.
Middle: Lace Silver
Neck: Lace Blue

This set covers a very wide range of sounds

I came in to advice this. I have this in my ‘95 Fender Strat Plus Deluxe:

Bridge: Lace red dually with mini toggle to select only 1 of the coils) originally this was a red single coil.
Middle: Lace Silver
Neck: Lace Blue

This set covers a very wide range of sounds

I love the idea of Lace’s, but so many people have posted that they’re compressed sounding. What do you think of the tone? I have not found any decent demos.

I love the idea of Lace’s, but so many people have posted that they’re compressed sounding. What do you think of the tone? I have not found any decent demos.
I love the tone, I own this guitar already for a very long time and never thought about changing the pickups. When you search on YouTube for Strat Ultra Lace you can find some videos that have the HSS configuration.
At higher guitar volume settings they sound more compressed than regular single coils but I think they open up with the volume rolled back. Sorry, but I am really bad at explaining tone.

I love the tone, I own this guitar already for a very long time and never thought about changing the pickups. When you search on YouTube for Strat Ultra Lace you can find some videos that have the HSS configuration.
At higher guitar volume settings they sound more compressed than regular single coils but I think they open up with the volume rolled back. Sorry, but I am really bad at explaining tone.

Hey, any description helps. :) I appreciate it!

Suhr HSS+ is my current favorite for hard rock. I don't know as much about fusion. But it will do blues well also

Used a Duncan P-rail for my bridge pickup. Paired with 2 of the Fender S1 switches to get all available pickup configs. Wired same as the Suhr schematic so the bridge sees 500K controls and the singles see 250K. Makes for a very versatile Strat.

Maybe give Dyna Mix 9 a Google. Can’t get more versitile with a HSS configuration than that. Works on other pickups than the Hyperion as well. 9 different sounds and when you go HH even 10.

after searching days and days i think that i am between dimarzio SD and dimarzio PAF Pro for the bridge * i will not change the rest * ... but i am still no sure about that..i really care about clarity ...and also to avoid a muddy one pickup .... never liked a JB though..so i would like a little bright. I am thinking of combining with a tbx tone control

Last edited:
after searching days and days i think that i am between dimarzio SD and dimarzio PAF Pro for the bridge * i will not change the rest * ... but i am still no sure about that..i really care about clarity ...and also to avoid a muddy one pickup .... never liked a JB though..so i would like a little bright. I am thinking of combining with a tbx tone control
Dimarzio Super Distortion

Back
Top Bottom