What PA speakers would be better than EON15s for the AXE?

wknight2

Inspired
A question for those of you who sometimes play smaller gigs with your own PA:
- Larger gigs, we go FOH. So, there are usually higher end PA speakers
- Smaller gigs, like benefit concerts or smaller clubs we use our own PA, a Mackie 808s. The speakers are JBL EON15s.
Some of the monitors being mentioned, like the RCF, are over $1200 a piece. They make the Axe sound awesome. But...the sound through the EON15s isn't as good. I'm assuming it's a good idea to have higher quality PA speakers so the audience gets the benefit of the better sound, more so than me as the guitarist.

So...what are you guys using? Any recommendations for something better than the EON15s without spending $1400 per speaker? I'm not tied into using powered vs unpowered as I can always get another PA or power amp/mixer. I'm also ok with buying used gear.

What kind of budget are you looking at? Some have posted that they really like the Altos as well as the EV ELX series both which are below the 500$ range.

Right now - keys, vocals, and acoustic guitar. We're looking into getting a sub for bass and kick, and once we do then one overhead for the drums.

EONs are standard speakers. If the axe doesn't sound good through those, you'll have trouble with most pa setups.

What "doesn't sound good"? I'd focus on fixing that first rather than getting different gear.

There's probably too much bass frequency from the axe. Maybe dial it down on the mixer.

Sorry to say this but I never liked JBL EON's. For FOH applications I would recommend Yorkville NX55P or QSC K12. Without any subs, you could do small rooms 75 to 100 people, add a couple of subs and your good for 150 to 200 people.

We're willing to buy used or new, maybe $750 per speaker?

I would look for some used RCF or you might take a chance on the new Atomic CLR's that are shipping, a few hundy more but I'm betting that it's going to be well worth it.

You do have a lot of options at that price point but you will be confined to used in the pro category. Best advice is to try as many as you can at the same place at the price point you looking to spend (obviously) and most of the prosumer stuff you will be able to do that at a GC or like brick and mortar place of business.

Back
Top Bottom