What Mic Are You Using?

brianv4

Fractal Fanatic
I've started doing Zoom lectures and guitar lessons using Zoom. Running the AxeFx (s/pdif) into my Apollo interface. Obviously the guitar sounds (in the words of @2112 ) "glorious" but the mic on my iMac picks up too much of the room sound.

I tried a lapel mic, it's better but not great. Just wondering how you guys are doing it? I watch video's by Leon and Tim Pierce where the voice sounds so natural but yet you don't see a mic. Shotgun perhaps?

Are you using your computer speakers to be able to hear? Do you get much feedback/echo between the mic and speakers?
Yes, I have used my computer speakers with this mic, as well as my studio monitors. I don't get any feedback or echo. That was a problem with the mic in my webcam (and on the laptop). The larger element in the USB mic, along with pickup pattern, greatly improves the usability. I don't like to wear a headset / boom mic unless I'm in a very noisy environment (or when privacy is important).

I've started doing Zoom lectures and guitar lessons using Zoom. Running the AxeFx (s/pdif) into my Apollo interface. Obviously the guitar sounds (in the words of @2112 ) "glorious" but the mic on my iMac picks up too much of the room sound.

I tried a lapel mic, it's better but not great. Just wondering how you guys are doing it? I watch video's by Leon and Tim Pierce where the voice sounds so natural but yet you don't see a mic. Shotgun perhaps?
You can use lapel or out of frame mic, but that can pick up room as well if you're not careful.
If you don't care about a headset mic the Crown CM311 is great at rejecting room noise, feedback, etc. and sounds great for live stream, zoom, whatever you want.

In this video I'm in a small room with pretty loud floor monitor plus acoustic and voice. You don't hear any room reflections. In fact the mic was so bone dry I had to add slight room verb to speaking to make it more realistic (more reverb of course comes in for the singing).

Yes, I have used my computer speakers with this mic, as well as my studio monitors. I don't get any feedback or echo. That was a problem with the mic in my webcam (and on the laptop). The larger element in the USB mic, along with pickup pattern, greatly improves the usability. I don't like to wear a headset / boom mic unless I'm in a very noisy environment (or when privacy is important).
Thanks. I've been leading a messaging/video/website development course and I want to be able to recommend some inexpensive options to people if they don't want to go on camera wearing earbuds (which work fine) or if they want to be farther away from the camera. This looks to be worth checking out.

There are of course tons of cheap mics available, but I put no faith whatsoever into Amazon reviews... ;-)

Using a trusty shure SM58 or an AT2035 (depending if they need to hear anything other than voice). I also teach ukulele and drums

Back
Top Bottom