what Marshall stock cabs are close miked?

Chiguete

Experienced
So one thing that I would like fractal to say is how are the cabs that come in the units miked? Some say FULL but most don't say nothing. Anyone knows? I'm hoping to find one with a SM57 close miked Greenback... maybe they don't have any so one buys there cab packs! lol.

I would assume they're all close mic'd except for the far field ones. The Full mixes you're referring to are from the Ownhammer IR packs, you can find information about them on the Ownhammer site or in the Ownhammer thread in the forum.

Use your ears and pick what sounds good, there's no rules.

I am pretty sure most of the factory cabs existed well before Fractal cab packs.

Almost every IR available is close mic'd - that is the normal way you mic a guitar speaker. As mentioned, the "far field" are not... Close mic'ing is also known as "near field".

There are some other IRs such as the back of the cab, etc...

Also note that many IRs are "mixed", meaning there were multiple mics used (typically different types but not always).

The vast majority of the stock cabs are close-miked.

Far-field IRs are available but they are rare due to the difficulty in obtaining them. They require a large facility and special techniques making the process impractical in most cases. So, until an abundant source of far-field IRs are available we need to think like a producer/engineer who is dealing with the mic pushed up against the grill cloth. This means shaping the tone with EQ to remove unwanted frequencies.

Only a few factory cabs are far field (I think 3) and they are old. Pretty much everything (from FAS at least) is close mic

Back
Top Bottom