What makes the 5150 power section special? What dedicated poweramp cops it the best?

I've seen some of the 8 string guys using 5150s as poweramps for the axe-fx. Problem is, they have no master volume =|. And they're not stereo. What's the closest tube option? How would you describe the 5150's power section?

Although I have never owned a 5150, looking at the schematic, there really isn't a whole lot different in the output section from your standard modded Marshall. It has a Resonance knob that would still be active as well as the Presence circuit. Metal guys may just already have those lying around or they like the Resonance for added thump. I know I do.

Yep, it's really just a clean poweramp section with Resonance and Presence controls. Maybe there's something to the fact that part of what makes them sound the way they do is that a 5150's power section is typically relatively cold-biased. But more practically, there's probably just a whole lot of metal guys who play Axe-Fx's and who happen to have old 5150's hanging around so it's the most convenient way for them to make their Axe-Fx's drive guitar cabs.

Back
Top Bottom