What made you pull the trigger on the Axe?

I was aware of the axe but never really took it serious until i saw some YouTube videos of the axe. I couldn't tell any difference so i just sold my mark V and got the axe. The flexibility of this box is just incomparable and i do not regret anything except not buying it a long time ago :)

I had been using Line-6 gear for awhile and was thoroughly unimpressed with their customer service. Someone on their forum mentioned the Axe-Fx so I did some research and found Ketil Strand's videos, then Mark Day's videos and that was it. I started with the Ultra, then moved on to the II and now have an XL and have been happy since first being 'Fractalized'. :D

Really sick of my line6 vetta lack of updates, then I went back to my triaxis rig, then got sick of replacing tubes and it sounding different everyday, then got the ultra... many moons ago at this point.

Ketil Strand's Evolution of Rock

Sold
yessmiley.gif

A YouTube video of someone covering Dream Theater songs with his AxeFx Ultra, don't remember his name but many thanks to him :)

First learned about it on some modeler based forum but not sure which one. If I remember correctly (I'm old cut me a break lol) it all started with Cliff chiming in on a debate about the "harmonic converger" and he really seemed to know his stuff (obviously!) and not just spout an opinion.

So it's been on my radar for a long time but I only recently pulled the trigger on a AFII. I'm not one to swap gear in-and-out much. I had an old Peavy Duce from the 70's that was just too loud for late night playing (and with a young family, nights were prime time) so I went the modeler route. Was in the Boss GT-x camp for many years and while I was fairly content with the tone I was able to get...it took LOTS of tweaking and constant re-tweaking. :) Sure, I wasn't really satisfied but was having trouble rationalizing the expense since I'm not gigging out and making any money from this. Tax time rolled around a couple of years ago and I had some extra cash and luckily the wife is a musician and understands. :-D Was actually toying with the notion of getting an 11r only because it was so much less money but figured I'd only regret it if I did and end up still not satisfied....didn't want that. Now my only regret is not doing it sooner. Spend SO MUCH less time tweaking and able to get great such great tones. Ending up with so much more time to actually make music. What it's all about!

Thanks again Cliff and the folks @ FAS...can't seem to express enough gratitude for this little magic box. :)

It was early 2008 and I went to GC to purchase a Kidney Bean so I could play with headphones and/or low volume since I had moved to an apartment. They didn't have any in stock. I went online to check out alternatives and some goober named Scott Peterson was raving about the Axe and taking a lot of flak for doing so. It intrigued me so I gave FAS a call. The grand poobah himself answered the phone and after a brief conversation I ordered one.

I was called the next day and told there was some issue with my credit card which I called the bank about and cleared up. I called Cliff back and told him and he said Danielle had just headed out of town on a family emergency so it could be a few days for them to clear up the discrepancy on their end. I said no problem just give me a call back in a week or so as I was in no hurry. Danielle calls me back the very same day from the car in transit to her emergency and squared everything out and my Ultra was on it's way. Are you kidding me?

I knew then and there that this company was something special. That made me a FAS fan for life!

It seems a lot of us have something in common, Mark Day's videos. Big thanks to Mark for showing what this intriguing black box can do!

This mishap in October 2009 forced me to look for an alternative to my traditional rig. I could not carry it anymore...At the time I was lucky to find used Ultra locally, as soon as the Axe 2 came out I upgraded. After not using traditional amps and cabs for while I realized I did not need them anymore, so they got sold. So I have been direct with no amps since 2009.

October16th2009D_zps3e3e7631.jpg

Attachments

• October16th2009D_zps3e3e7631.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 8
I was a Line 6 customer for 12 years until I had numerous equipment failures over the course of about a year. I had the "dream rig" - Pod HD500, DT50 amp, and Tyler Variax. After three bricked Pods, a DT50 that wouldn't power up, and two bad mainboards in the Variax, I decided to cut my losses and look around for a "real" amp. Checked out everything under the sun - I had a budget of about $3k from the buy-back and sales of my L6 stuff, so I was checking out high-end amps. LOTS of stuff to pick from made for a very hard choice - I figured I would have only one sound, so make it a good one.

I heard about the AFII & checked out the forum and lots of sounds / videos. I was blown away at the tones!!!! At that point, if I could've shoved my money through my Internet connection to get one asap, I would have!

This mishap in October 2009 forced me to look for an alternative to my traditional rig. I could not carry it anymore...At the time I was lucky to find used Ultra locally, as soon as the Axe 2 came out I upgraded. After not using traditional amps and cabs for while I realized I did not need them anymore, so they got sold. So I have been direct with no amps since

Ayoye! Mechante fracture! Ou fractal!! ;)

I needed something for studio work,,I was between kemper and axe-fx.it was a difficult decision at first ,,,but now I know I made the right choice period!!!!!!

For me it was just the practicality and cost effectiveness of it. I previously had 2 amp heads, 3 4x12s and a bunch of mics. But my personal schedule meant I didn't always have the time to set stuff up for recording during reasonable hours, and then I had to move everything for rehearsals so lost all my settings/positions etc. Shifting to using a digital unit just made more sense. Deciding between Axe and Kemper took a long time, and I picked Axe. So far I'm really happy.

I may re-buy a real amp at a later date, as I do love amps. Sadly in the UK right now a lot of really good amps are selling very cheaply on the second hand market, which did in part affect my decision to sell since I predict it might well still get worse. The demand just doesn't seem to be there any more for certain models, could be the recession but I also think it shows a shift in what people want - people do seem to want lighter rigs in general these days even if they stay valve. Times are changing, but I'm glad they're changing with the option for great sounding equipment like the Axe FX 2.

Back
Top Bottom