What kind of video camera or webcam do you use?

littlebigfis

Inspired
I often see great studio video recordings posted here in the forum. I'm curious as to what you all use for video and what application in Mac (imovie or quicktime, other?)you are using to capture.

I have a Zoom Q3-HD. I use Sony's Vegas Movie Studio (video edit) and TechSmith's Camtasia (screen capture/edit program) to do the videos.

Still learning my way with it all. :D

I'm curios about this also. I need a camera that will record well in lower light. Trying to put together some live footage for promotional material.
Do the Zoom camera's do well with movement in a live, lighted stage kind of environment?

I too have the Zoom Q3-HD. I got it to film my practicing for self evaluation. The audio is top quality and while I am just learning how to use it the consensus on the web is that that video is sub par especially in low light. It's a really simple cam to use but I have not really done much other than in my own living room to give an honest opinion. It does not have all the bells and whistles that video oriented cameras have. YMMV

(going for better lighting next time) Guitar is direct from the board in stereo.

I've used my iPhone4 with the Line6 (ouch) Mobile In. The mobile In uses the 30 pin connector to capture the audio digitally in stereo, and the iPhone handles the video. Everything is in sync. I then just upload it to YouTube. If I had a Mac computer, I'd probably use iMovie to edit. I'm actually looking for a simple to use video editor for PC.

Last edited:
Yea, the zoom doesn't work that well in lower light, but then again, pretty much all cameras perform worse in lower light. The Q3 audio is quite good, and excellent for what it is meant to be used for.

A good suggestion to get better video is often to just get better lighting. Same for pictures.

Yea, the zoom doesn't work that well in lower light, but then again, pretty much all cameras perform worse in lower light. The Q3 audio is quite good, and excellent for what it is meant to be used for.

A good suggestion to get better video is often to just get better lighting. Same for pictures.

So true...especially on a budget.

For stills, I usually have to choose to flash (bright foreground but background is black), or not to flash (better colors, but can't stop motion).

Interested in the video cameras. Would do okay with middle-of-the-road video quality if the sound was clear in a loud bar setting. Does the Zoom Q3-HD sound good in those conditions, or does it over-compress and/or distort?

So after some more research, I've been leaning toward a camcorder set-up as opposed to a flip or webcam. It seems to me that I'm often recording in low light and getting a quality take is best. I'll be using a separate mic for the audio, of course. Also, I am trying to "direct capture" HD video to either IMovie '08 (7.12) or Quicktime to avoid having to upload the video after a take to the mac. For direct capture connectivity, USB is intuitively a poor choice and there appears limited options for firewire other than minidv media based camcorders. Is this true? I have read that flash based DV camcorders that do have 4 pin out are not set up to work with direct capture.(?) Adding to the laundry list of requirements, it would be nice to use a remote control to adjust the zoom on the camera as I will be mounting it on a tri-pod behind my studio desk and access will be clumsy if i have to sit in one spot or worse get up and walk behind the camera to adjust the angle width each time i want to shoot. Also, I'm not quite sure which codec would work to direct capture HD video in the mac, given the (past?) issues surrounding mpeg conversion. I realize this a is a very specific application, but I'm guessing many musicians are using or would like to use this type of "quick take" video workflow. Can anyone recommend a quality low light camcorder with firewire and zoom level remote control that can be setup for direct capture (without conversion) in the mac?

I've used a Canon SX210 (now superceded by SX230 in stores) for recording video with audio, not so much of myself, but of music I've gone to hear. It does a really good job, particularly in low light. It's hard to take pics in low light, but the video does just fine filming a stage with fairly low lighting. It's got stereo microphones and 14x zoom. It is a great little camera. It was Canon's high end small camera when I got it. I'm not sure how the audio holds up to the Zoom, but it's quite decent and I've recorded some fairly loud stuff (no metal in front of the mains though;-) without distortion.

PS. Having no read your latest set of requirements, this won't do all that.

Last edited:
If I had this question, I'd go to Digital Cameras accessories and photographic equipment - National Camera Exchange Stores Minnesota Minneapolis St-Paul MN and ask them. They're the best camera place in the TC area. My guess is that they'd take your call and answer your questions, no matter where you're from as they have a website to sell stuff, too.

Good suggestion. I called them and spoke to their video expert who didnt know if this application would work or not. I think I'll call B&H

... in a loud bar setting. Does the Zoom Q3-HD sound good in those conditions, or does it over-compress and/or distort?

I have a Zoom Q3-HD. The sound quality is pretty decent in a bar setting. It has a switch to adjust the sound level sensitivity, plus the option of 'auto' adjusting the sensitivity. The auto setting appears to act like a slow compressor. When levels are excessive (level meters are right on the screen), the sensitivity reduces to keep levels "in the green". You might get a second or two of distortion before it kicks in. You can also set the auto level to reduce only, or to act normally (boost/cut as needed). There's also a LPF option.

I use a Kodak Playsport. It works pretty well and it was only like, $150. We use it for every show and the sound is not great, but hey, it's a video camera at a gig. Here are a couple studio things I've used it for

And here's one using Reaper for the sound, but the kodak for the video.

I had a playsport for quite some time as well :D Very fun little camera, and any camera you can take underwater is BOUND to be fun! :D
It crapped out on me one day tho, and I switched to the zoom unit, which you can't really take underwater, but is really good for anyone in a band, or looking to record one. People bash the thing, but it says so in the slogan - a little video, a LOT of audio

iSight camera with Axe II sound direct.
Also ZOOM Q3 HD for the 'in the room sound' 'cause it's IN the room. Great sound.

I use a Canon HV-30. I run my Axe direct into a Sound Craft mixer and then into my HV-30 and record directly into iMovie.

Check out my YouTube channel.

www.youtube.com/shotgunndunn

Not all videos were shot with that cam. You'll see the difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a Zoom Q3-HD. The sound quality is pretty decent in a bar setting. It has a switch to adjust the sound level sensitivity, plus the option of 'auto' adjusting the sensitivity. The auto setting appears to act like a slow compressor. When levels are excessive (level meters are right on the screen), the sensitivity reduces to keep levels "in the green". You might get a second or two of distortion before it kicks in. You can also set the auto level to reduce only, or to act normally (boost/cut as needed). There's also a LPF option.

Thanks Rich!

This is very timely. Tomorrow I was going to the Good Guys or online and order a video camera in the $500 range. I'm going to start doing lessons online. So and ideas would be terrifically helpful. I'm going to get a tripod. Either get FCP or just use iMovie. Mac. My bassist also has a nice camera. More expensive than my price range. We're going to set up two cameras in my studio so we can record my band. I'll record the audio in studio. Either figure out a way to smpte it all or just eyeball it from the cameras audio. Line them up. Anyway. TMI.

Back
Top Bottom