What is your "strangest" guitar?

Wow looks very much like those expensive Klein guitars, which came first?

According to his website Steve Klein has been building guitars for 50 years, but I'm not sure when he started making odd-shaped ones. The Breadwinner/Deacon design came out in the early '70s. Ovation was going for function over form. The shape was designed to play comfortably either sitting down or standing up (and indeed it was). Just looked weird, though. I remember breaking out my Breadwinner one day to jam with some guys, and the drummer asked "Where's the rest of your guitar, man?"

A project of my brother in his early days as a guitar builder. ;-)
There are a lot of clever and well-executed ideas in that guitar. So much so that they're kind of crowding each other out. It would be lovely to see some of those ideas realized in a situation where they have room to breathe.

Reactions: yek
I don't really have any truly strange guitars, but this is my most unusual one: a 2009 DBZ Imperial.

DBZ Imperial FM (serial no. Z09060418).IMG_2287.JPG

It's super-thin — like thin enough to make my Ibanez S-540s insecure about their dress size. But that thinness is carved (front and back) into about an acre of wood. I mean, look at the controls and how far the body extends beyond them. It's like an ES-335 met a steamroller. Very resonant.

That wafer-thin body makes for the sweetest neck joint I ever wrapped my hand around. It's almost not even there.

DBZ Imperial FM (serial no. Z09060418).IMG_2292.JPG

She's a pawn-shop gem that earned her place in my heart.

DBZ Imperial FM (serial no. Z09060418).IMG_2297.JPG

A pretty conventional headless:

2tn0CZY.jpg

#1... Still have this one- Saw it in Albuquerque- I think I paid $100 because idk what it was and never saw anything like it and I always buy 12 strings... turns out it's an epiphone acoustic 12 string neck, I think MIJ 80's (they were bolt on) on an SG body. One P90 is real, One P90 isn't, and just covers up old bridge screws. It's pretty cool I guess. I probably paid what it's worth.

View attachment 57385

#2... No longer have this one...
Saw it for $300, Advertised as a Fake/Copy... offered $100, got it for 200.
Gibson Eye Guitar, real Gibson, Not fake. All the ones they made were red, this one is black... there was anywhere from 2 to 8 ever made as prototypes. Sold it for like 13x what I paid.

View attachment 57386
I kinda dig the Gibson. They’ve done some hideous prototypes but that one is cool.

This modified Peavey OCC (Orange County Choppers). Original black paint has been removed and body burnt(?). Volume pot has been modded with a skull. Got this in exchange for an Ibanez acoustic guitar I got from my friend. I changed the pickup to a vintage DiMarzio PAF (not in picture).

tIF697eS.jpeg

Was that originally a BC Rich that was "frankenstratet" into this piece of work/art?
The original was a J Frog as stated before. ESP had a habit of taking his and Diresta's designs and releasing them as their own. I ordered the body from a guy in Canada that was selling them years ago (not sure if he still is). I spent a decent amount of time adding to the carving and reshaping some parts. A local artist painted it for me. I'm a HUGE BC Rich fan, so I dismantled one of my guitars and put them on the body. Only thing I don't like is the body is oversized...that guy started making them the right size after I mentioned it to him, but I wasn't worried enough to go through the trouble to start from scratch again. Sorry for the long reply.

The original was a J Frog as stated before. ESP had a habit of taking his and Diresta's designs and releasing them as their own. I ordered the body from a guy in Canada that was selling them years ago (not sure if he still is). I spent a decent amount of time adding to the carving and reshaping some parts. A local artist painted it for me. I'm a HUGE BC Rich fan, so I dismantled one of my guitars and put them on the body. Only thing I don't like is the body is oversized...that guy started making them the right size after I mentioned it to him, but I wasn't worried enough to go through the trouble to start from scratch again. Sorry for the long reply.

Thanks for the long reply :D. Some other knowledgeable people chimed in about the J Frog which I never heard of, but after googling found some sites and pics. Still couldnt make out how yours had the BC Rich neck, but that explains it. Cool!

This modified Peavey OCC (Orange County Choppers). Original black paint has been removed and body burnt(?). Volume pot has been modded with a skull. Got this in exchange for an Ibanez acoustic guitar I got from my friend. I changed the pickup to a vintage DiMarzio PAF (not in picture).

View attachment 57449
Bruised banana, hah!

Back
Top Bottom