What is your "strangest" guitar?

I no longer own it, but my oddest-looking guitar was an Ovation Breadwinner. Bought it in the '70s when I was about a sophomore in high school. First guitar I bought for myself. (Mom and Dad bought the Harmony Rocket that preceded it.) I later ended up with an Ovation Deacon as well (nicer neck inlays and the body had a sunburst finish instead of solid white). It was originally marketed as a "do everything" guitar. It had active electronics and was supposed to have Gibson and Fender tones. It had neither, but it played well. Kinda wish I still one or both of them.

Ovation Breadwinner 600.jpg

Ovation Deacon 600.jpg

Last edited:
#1... Still have this one- Saw it in Albuquerque- I think I paid $100 because idk what it was and never saw anything like it and I always buy 12 strings... turns out it's an epiphone acoustic 12 string neck, I think MIJ 80's (they were bolt on) on an SG body. One P90 is real, One P90 isn't, and just covers up old bridge screws. It's pretty cool I guess. I probably paid what it's worth.

20170913_104943.jpg

#2... No longer have this one...
Saw it for $300, Advertised as a Fake/Copy... offered $100, got it for 200.
Gibson Eye Guitar, real Gibson, Not fake. All the ones they made were red, this one is black... there was anywhere from 2 to 8 ever made as prototypes. Sold it for like 13x what I paid.

20131009_143124.jpg

#1... Still have this one- Saw it in Albuquerque- I think I paid $100 because idk what it was and never saw anything like it and I always buy 12 strings... turns out it's an epiphone acoustic 12 string neck, I think MIJ 80's (they were bolt on) on an SG body. One P90 is real, One P90 isn't, and just covers up old bridge screws. It's pretty cool I guess. I probably paid what it's worth.

View attachment 57385

#2... No longer have this one...
Saw it for $300, Advertised as a Fake/Copy... offered $100, got it for 200.
Gibson Eye Guitar, real Gibson, Not fake. All the ones they made were red, this one is black... there was anywhere from 2 to 8 ever made as prototypes. Sold it for like 13x what I paid.

View attachment 57386
Wow... That Gibson Eye guitar was something I never ever heard of from them. Had to google and that Ferrari red version looked very funky!

I used to own a Jackson Death Warrior, which was pretty out there:

DSC06992.JPG

I never really bonded with it, but this, my Spalt Apex, is both wonderful and strange:

883879_1418942571706072_5213144149904691175_o.jpg

I no longer own it, but my oddest-looking guitar was an Ovation Breadwinner. Bought it in the '70s when I was about a sophomore in high school. First guitar I bought for myself. (Mom and Dad bought the Harmony Rocket that preceded it.) I later ended up with an Ovation Deacon as well (nicer neck inlays and the body had a sunburst finish instead of solid white). It was originally marketed as a "do everything" guitar. It had active electronics and was supposed to have Gibson and Fender tones. It had neither, but it played well. Kinda wish I still one or both of them.

View attachment 57380

View attachment 57381
That Deacon looks way cool!

"That space paint job was very cool" - For me it was just a bit too much. Even though I loved the actual shape of the guitar :). In fact, the shape was an influence on the Spalt I ordered.

View attachment 57380

View attachment 57381

Wow. Steve Klein obviously borrowed a few ideas from Ovation. Here’s my oddball as proof...

Attachments

• 9DBA4AD6-1F2E-4371-B407-C9F8F8C78F26.jpeg
    9DBA4AD6-1F2E-4371-B407-C9F8F8C78F26.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
My most unusual guitar is my signature guitar The Crafty. It was built by WG Bristol custom guitars. Disclaimer; I am in endorser for WG Bristol custom guitars, and have appeared as a featured artist for them at numerous guitar shows. I had the case for my guitar built by I-beam custom cases. If you go to their website The Crafty is featured and a picture of it is on the website. It is the interesting looking yellow Guitar.

http://ibeamcases.com/

My Jerry Jones electric sitar

View attachment 57396
Saw Steve Miller in concert last weekend, and he played his Jerry Jones electric sitar (on Wild Mountain Honey). He also told a story about it...he purchased his long ago for $150 and toured with it for years. Many years later, a collector offered him $600K for it. He asked the audience Saturday night if they thought he should take the offer, and he got a resounding NO from the crowd. He laughed and said "Are your crazy? Of course I sold it!" He then explained that the one he's playing now was another one he bought used (for $300 this time), and the original was currently on display at the Metropolitan Museum in New York, along with a lot of other iconic/historic rock instruments.

Last edited:

View attachment 57380

View attachment 57381
Wow looks very much like those expensive Klein guitars, which came first?

I've got one of these (no actual photo handy): 1565815149899.png

It's not a bass, it's a tenor guitar.. but a baritone tenor. Tuned like a cello, CGDA, and I think in the same range.

Also have this Vigier Excalibur Surfretter:
1565815282822.jpeg

And this microtonal guitar:

1565815367222.jpeg

And also this Godin A11 Glissentar, a fretless 11-string:

1565815459146.jpeg

I'm not sure which of the four is the weirdest, but they're all a bit unusual.

Back
Top Bottom