What is your Power amp of choice for use with the Axe FX II?

It's all the bass players fault, I was perfectly happy with my little Millennium Combo amp, then the first stack of Hartke's appeared. Well here we are then.

I use the Atomic CLR but previously the Atomic 50/50 with 2 passive Atomic Reactor Wedges. This is a an awesome rig and all components are for sale. I live in the UK so that might be of interest to you
I think for sound the Atomic 50/50 has the edge over the Matrix in that it sounds more organic and the upper frequencies are more bell like and musical. The lower mids in the Matrix are more pronounced and that can suit certain styles too. This was the opinion of other users such as yek and Mark Day as well

It is heavier though.

If interested then please PM me
James

Carvin DCM200L here :)
I think it's the lightest amp of all, 1U and less than 4lib.
Run it with a 4x12 in stereo and it's doing the job with a heavy hands drummer without a problem.
Cost 1/4 of the Matrix.
My 2nd amp is the old and trusty Mesa 2:90 which obviously has ton of power and more bite but also weight like 8 DCM200L :miserable:

I just used a DCM200L on Saturday for an outdoor gig and turned it all the way home, but yet the drummer still drowned me out. I love Carvin gear and own quite a few of their pieces, but I may have to upgrade to the 1000 or 1500. How do you make the 200 work for you, Roadrunner?

I just used a DCM200L on Saturday for an outdoor gig and turned it all the way home, but yet the drummer still drowned me out. I love Carvin gear and own quite a few of their pieces, but I may have to upgrade to the 1000 or 1500. How do you make the 200 work for you, Roadrunner?

A little late but better late than ever…
Well, some time has passed since I wrote in this topic and the lil 200 was working HARD and eventually I decided to buy a Matrix GT1000FX for 2 reasons:
1. I had to have a backup amp.
2. I was frying the 200 every gig and was afraid to kill it.
So, got a GT1000FX which is awesome and for my ears it is a little more open then the DCM, plenty of power for any kind of gig and the lil Carvin is in my B rig now as a backup.

However, the DCM200L can be a nice amp for small gigs, I'm always trying to place my rig/cabs near me so I have enough volume and if it’s a bigger place then I ask from the sound guy to have my guitar in the monitors too.

P.S: The 2:90 was sold, I don't regret not even for a sec.

Last edited:
I bought a gt1000 for its power and small footprint...but i recently brought my jcm900 and splawn cab back to my house and plugged my axe into the effects loop. I dont know anymore...

Agreed!! I use a digital bridging power amp 1 rack space for the same reason, I do not want to introduce the variance of tubes to the equation. With my Combos. or Heads, the tubes really have to be hot for the best sound out of them.

I bought a gt1000 for its power and small footprint...but i recently brought my jcm900 and splawn cab back to my house and plugged my axe into the effects loop. I dont know anymore...

I've been plugging into the loop of My Mesa Mark IV and some days I feel like I don't even need my CLR Neo, it sounds so good.
And dropping it to class "A" and in Triode and tweed it's really manageable at lower volumes too

Just want to add that in-between the Mosvalve-MV962 and Matrix GT1000FX, I actually purchased a Rocktron Velocity 300 and did not like it at all. Some folks like it but for me just didn't work at all. I only mention this because I think in some aspects you get what you pay for. The Matrix GT1000FX is worth the money and sounds great. It captures the feel of a tube amp and is a perfect fit for the Axe-FX II IMO.
I'm in C-bus, are you?

Back
Top Bottom