What is your Power amp of choice for use with the Axe FX II?

Matrix GT1000fx is main amp now. I have a GK Backline 600 Bass head (2RU 300W) which sounds good, but not as good as the Matrix. These can be found on ebay for $100-150.

I have a 50W hand-wired tube head which has nice saturation and punch, but it's just not as convenient to haul to a gig or a practice. I like the sound of the GT1000 into guitar cabs. All my FRFR are powered, so I can't comment on the GT1000 into FRFR speaker solution.

i am just moving from the GM50 to the GT1000 2U.... looking forward to run my AF2 in stereo...

stereo / dual mono is where all the love is...

you will adore this when you get the GT1000 to give the room a fist full of Watts

hi all
I back t give some news.

Well, in fact i revert back to 2 GM50s. Not that the GT1000 was not good, no: it's just with regard to my usage in my Home studio, with the volume I like, the balance between AF2 level and amp level, and the FR Cabs i have (2 * T.Box PA302), I clearly prefered the GM50 combination. I feel it easier and more comfortable to dial in... can't explain more... but love it !

At this point I must say that Matrix people (Matt and Pamela) were very reactive to support me and comprehensive with regard to my needs and accept these switches from one amp to the others... i can't enough recommend their customer-oriented and friendly attitude !

Now I absolutely enjoy the AF2 (FW 10.12) in my room. What a nice set up to run the Axe in stereo... delighting... I push a picture on their facebook page.

keep rockin'

I still have my Matrix GT1000FX (although it is up for sale) .
I'm not gigging and because of that weight is not an issue for me.
I have KT-77's in my Fryette now and for my needs it is the best power amp I've tried so far.
if I was gigging I'd have to revisit the Matrix as IMO it delivers about 90% of the way and is by far the best SS power amp I've ever heard,
with high gain patches I've found there is still something missing, and sag, xformer match, compression, pick attack, master volume..... etc, just don't do it.
With mid gain and clean patches I think it sounds beautiful, it's only when I go high gain do I notice that "something missing".

I use a Matrix GT1000FX with my Ultra and intend to use it when I get my Axe II. It's very transparent, feels nice and is very, very loud :)

I had a very hard time parting with my Matchless Phoenix after having the Matrix 1000 for two months. But finally I came to the conclusion that switching costly tubes, waiting for warm-up and especialle having to remember to put in stand-by between sets made it clear.
Still miss something compared to the Matrix - but I nearly can't remember what.
Ohh, and the Matrix is stereo.

Hi,
Just try the Thomann D-4 digital 4x500watts at 4Ohm: 1 U, 4.6 kg: price 288 € (= 2000 watts !!!)
4x input and 4x output, so use your imagination...with a piece like the Axe Fx
For me: 2x stereo (full range cabs EV 12"/2"driver) and one output in middle for dry signal: non effects / non cab (with a 2x12 Zinky).
just my 2 cents.
Bgds,

Didn't know the D4 from Thomann... Know the E800 and PM40C (very low cost, but not bad).
Is the D4 a Class D ? or AB ? not noticed on thomann pages.

Marshall EL34 100/100 Dual Monobloc Tube Power Amplifier with Mercury Magnetics power and output transformers.
(Yes- It's heavy, but on wheels)
I love it. Do I ever think about a Matrix for weight? Sure. But I love this power amp. Guess I'm the odd-ball here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Marshall EL34 100/100 Dual Monobloc Tube Power Amplifier with Mercury Magnetics power and output transformers.
(Yes- It's heavy, but on wheels)
I love it. Do I ever think about a Matrix for weight? Sure. But I love this power amp. Guess I'm the odd-ball here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

You are not alone :)

Nope, I use a GT1600FX to power 2 marshall stacks and a GT1000FX for a pair of passive CLR's. The neighbors are not happy.....

OK, that warrants a rig photo! We must be related in some way (Carvin DCM1540L into two Marshall 4x12's), my neighbors are not happy either :).

Back
Top Bottom