What is your player level?

What level of player would you consider yourself?

• Beginner

Votes: 20 9.0%
  • Intermediate

Votes: 156 70.3%
  • Advanced

Votes: 72 32.4%

• Total voters
Advanced? Hmmm? So , now this is only acoustic guitar, but if this isn't advanced then there is NO advanced!

I must say Tommy may be the best guitarist I ever saw perform live when you consider that he does it solo and does so many things incredibly well. Tommy definitely has set the bar very high for anyone trying to assess their relative level of competence on the guitar. It can be overwhelming to us mere mortals but Tommy provides so much for us to learn from. The two things I have tried to cop from Tommy are his sense of melody and playing in the pocket. Playing the pocket may be the best thing for many of us to learn from (check out Tommy's groove on this live clip: ). If I could say I do anything well on guitar it is playing in the pocket and establishing groove. Over the years, that skill has allowed me to get more gigs than any other skill.

I'm guilty of voting middle and advanced. I base it on this: When people who aren't musicians or guitarists hear me play I get comments like "why don't you do this for a living"....lol. (I don't want to be poor). And when I watch other guitarists, I'm completely humbled and understand my limitations.

I'm guilty of voting middle and advanced. I base it on this: When people who aren't musicians or guitarists hear me play I get comments like "why don't you do this for a living"....lol. (I don't want to be poor). And when I watch other guitarists, I'm completely humbled and understand my limitations.
That is friggin hilarious. I get that too, and that is the reason I rent a tiny slice of my soul to corporate greed. It has paid for my GAS and studio so that I can feed my soul, and occasionally entertain others. I figured out in the mid 80s that music was not a career for me. (So Cal metal scene, pay-to-play, etc.)

That is friggin hilarious. I get that too, and that is the reason I rent a tiny slice of my soul to corporate greed. It has paid for my GAS and studio so that I can feed my soul, and occasionally entertain others. I figured out in the mid 80s that music was not a career for me. (So Cal metal scene, pay-to-play, etc.)

I was convinced I was gonna 'make it' from the time I was 10 to 22. I ducked out right before grunge scene hit. And that grunge scene would've easily taken me out because I wasn't having any of that. The song had to have a guitar solo or else I wouldn't even give it a sniff back then. I still remember one night a girl I was friends with brought over a guy who had the Nirvana cassette and they played it over and over that night. I was disgusted by the music and pissed that she was going out with HIM!! The whole world changed that night....lol. I'm not sure if I resented Nirvana for the next 10 years because of him or the music. I think I'm over it now. I don't change the channel and even find myself tapping my foot when I'm not careful.

I got out of it in So Cal just before that hit. The band I was in actually coule have done well in that genre, even with more guitarwork and musicianship. We kinda had that same feel even before it started to hit.

Glad I got out though. I was overindulging in certain activities and knew if it didn't kill me it was going to make me wish it did. (Was already headed there anyway.)

Back
Top Bottom