What is your player level?

What level of player would you consider yourself?

• Beginner

Votes: 20 9.0%
  • Intermediate

Votes: 156 70.3%
  • Advanced

Votes: 72 32.4%

• Total voters
If I were to believe some people who talk to me after a show, I'm the greatest guitar player they've ever seen.*

*for a girl
I’ve heard you Lizzy, and think you’re awesome! There’s more to beginner, intermediate, advanced etc. there’s the “do you have the feel, and expression that can make the hair on your arms stand on end ?” Sometimes a single well executed bending note with vibrato, can give away a guitar players command of the instrument.

I've been playing for about 40 years. When I was a teenager I saw myself as a super guitar hero. But the more I've learnt, the more I've realized how lame my playing is.
However, I become a better player with every new FW version. And today I enjoy my tone more than my playing. I don't give a damn about technique or perfection :p

Help me settle a discussion I'm having with a bandmate about who the buyer profile for this type of equipment is, please. =]

Questioning Player level is not going to tell you anything.
As far as the discussion your having with a band mate about what type of person buys this type of equipment......... , that could be answered ( mainly ) in 2 ways.

1.) someone who just wants the largest number of the best sounding “amps” and “cabs” available , with a small footprint and incredibly affordable price.
Or
2.) someone with lots of experience , who has a great ear for tone , and has spent years playing thru countless amps and cabs ; likely in a studio environment , where mic type , placement , and technique , have also been a concerning factor.

In other words :
You’re here because you think it’s the best , because you’ve heard it was the best , or you’ve heard and played it , and now you KNOW it’s the best. If you KNOW it’s the best , you’re either a top level player , or you’ve got a great ear for great guitar amp tone and feel.

Doesn't count if you paid them....;):cool::p:Do_O

Yeah... I'm jealous..:(
Yeah... I almost mentioned that everyone that attended the Vai Academy was afforded the same luxury if they chose to do so. ;)

And believe me, there were some absolute beginners that did it, too.

So, yes, I definitely paid for it!

However, doing so with a literal room full of guitarists watching you, playing on a less than stellar rig and then getting a bunch of compliments after you leave the stage (from said room full of guitarists including a bunch from this forum) makes you feel like you're pretty good :D

Sort of depends on where you draw the line between the different levels. I've been playing for over 50 years, and on and off professionally for over 40 of those years. But there are kids who've been playing for 2 years who can play things I can't. So am I intermediate? Advanced? Outdated? :D

LOL, well the discussion was more about how players buying an AXE FX would see themselves. Like if someone who felt they were a beginner would make that type of investment. We all see ourselves in various ways and there is no metric of any realistic value. This "argument" with my buddy was about self perception and equipment purchasing.

I'd say I'm capable in my current capacity. My only concerns these days are writing music that's better than the music I wrote before. Guitar comes secondary to that. In my teens I worshiped Vai and Petrucci and was into playing fast and working on my chops but it's been almost 20 years since then. The way I write/record these days, I sometimes go a month without touching a guitar and have to spend a week or two getting back in shape before I can start recording again, but that happens with bass and singing as well.

Overall, it's fair to say that I simply don't care much about keeping myself in shape or advancing on a technical level.

Back
Top Bottom