What is your go-to amp for building hard rock/metal patches?

team13chad

I JUST got my Axe FX II XL + a week ago and I find myself flip flopping between the Cameron CCV and the FAS 6160.

The style of music we play is modern rock/metal type stuff.

We haven't had practice yet so I can't really speculate as to which will sit better in the mix but I THINK right now my favorite is the FAS 6160.

I like the 5153 Blue . Probably the 100watt.
Friedman 2018 if you spend some time with it to get it right.
The Marshall #34 amp for more classic distortion.
The Triptik modern channel.

I would check out the Angle Severe amp models and try those out. I haven't been using my heavier presets recently but every time I do i find myself always landing on those amps.

Really digging the Fryette D60 M model with a boost. I also need the ‘boost’ switch in the amp block on to get into the right gain range. Very huge and punchy.

Honourable mentions to the IIC++, FAS Modern III, Das Metal, and Solo X99. Those are probably my top 5.

I mostly play a seven string in A standard for what it’s worth.

One thing I’ve been doing lately is two amps: an FAS Modern or a Friedman 2018 C45 with a scooped sound, and then a Tucana with a mid hump. These join up to make a nice, broad-spectrum high gain sound that has a lot of impact, yet can sing and articulate well for leads. These can go into one IR, or into two IRs that work well together... YMMV

For heavy I tend to end up using the 6160 Blockletter. For years I've been playing an actual 5151 blockletter, so it might just be that that's the sound I'm used to. My favorit for heavy though is the FAS Modern II (might be III, not sure).
But the cabs you chose are just as important, if not moreso, than the amp. I

I am trying to build a live setup. I’m using a Mesa 2:50 and a Mesa vertical 2x12.

I probably should have mentioned that

I almost always come back to the angle severe...2 I think. But for a while lately I've been experimenting with the orange models...RV50 I think? It took a little bit of tweaking like increasing the negative feedback and a few other things I can't remember, but it turned into a pretty brutal sound. For a while I used the IIC++ or the Uberschall model or a few others....but I always end up back on my Engl patch. I'm running through a Matrix gt1000fx into a Vader 2x12, little different than your rig, but same idea.

I might recommend picking a model you're used to in terms of real amps, then set up a boost/drive block to do what you want out of a typical boost in your rig, and then start cycling through amp models doing only minimal tweaks on BMT, Master Volume & Input Gain until you find that really tickles your fancy, then dive in hard on that and make it your primary. After that, if you want to keep exploring new ones, you've got your gold standard that you know works for you.

Any of the USA Leads (depends on the guitar and my mood), USA IIC+, USA IIC++, and the Friedman HBE are my goto hard rock and metal amps.I use the Petrucci V30 IR for the Mesas and one of the Basketweave IRs for the Friedman.

Back
Top Bottom