What is your favorite Virtual drummer or Drum VST?

#1 metal VST

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Superior Drummer 3's interface and features are to die for. I'm not a fan of the core library, though. I thought that S2's Avatar kit had a more versatile and realistic sound to it. S3's hi hats are all vintage as hell which is weird for a default library. I've got a billion SDX's and EZX's though so I'm pretty locked in to the Toontrack ecosystem. Luckily I love the sounds.

Glad I saw this thread as I'm about to pop the cork on a Drum VST but dont know where to start. I was initially just going to go full bore gut shot and get Superior but I get the impression it might be way more than necessary and potentially be a steep learning curve. I did however just check out Drum Forge, specifically the Bergstrand Edition and that seems like a better starting point. The GUI seems easy to grasp and fairly straight forward. Predominantly dealing in the Metal area but down the line I would be doing other stuff needing a more varied pallet so in that respect maybe Superior is the better option?

Anyone used Drum Forge?

Actually, there’s almost no learning curve to SD3. The way the GUI is laid out, you can see everything you need clearly, pretty much in the 4 menu’s on the main screen. To be honest, I barely even use the GUI once I have a kit I’m happy with. I write all my drum parts, one hit at a time, in the piano roll of the track SD3 is loaded on. Occasionally I jump to the mixer to tweak an EQ or volume level, even few times I’ll get lazy and open the Grooves tab to find a fill if I don’t feel like writing one.

If you can program a Fractal unit, you can DEFINITELY navigate SD3.

Anyone who has voted for SD3 please just give your review or general opinion of “Tap2Find” and the song maker/groove editor - and also how do you feel about the metal midi packs themselves ?

I’ve never actually used the Tap2Find. I’m a masochist and write my drum parts out in their entirety by pointing and clicking with a mouse. I have a TON of MIDI’s but I rarely use them, like VERY rarely. At most, I’ll use the fills or if I’m trying to figure out the next section of a song, I’ll audition some of the MIDI’s to see if they bring up any inspiration.

The packs are pretty good and I recommend buying at least one or two simply because they’re a great teacher when it comes to velocities. The biggest pain in the ass with virtual drums is programming velocities. If everything is at 127 all the time, your drums will sound like a robot. If you’re not a drummer or don’t have a lot of knowledge of how hard they hit specific drums and why, it can be confusing. The MIDI packs, the ones played by actual drummers, when you load them up in the piano roll of your DAW, you can see exactly how every velocity is set and they’re never all at 127. They’re also good for showing you how drum patterns look over a grid and how it all fits together.

I’m just holding out for the Mike Portnoy, Danny Carey and Morgan Rose MIDI packs. I’d use those!

Superior Drummer 3's interface and features are to die for. I'm not a fan of the core library, though. I thought that S2's Avatar kit had a more versatile and realistic sound to it. S3's hi hats are all vintage as hell which is weird for a default library. I've got a billion SDX's and EZX's though so I'm pretty locked in to the Toontrack ecosystem. Luckily I love the sounds.

100% agreed on the hi-hats!!!! Doesn’t matter how I EQ them, they sound like they’re from a John Bonham kit. I want a set of Dyno-Beats and a set of 13” K/Z’s!

I usually use the Logic Drummer, works for most of the stuff I fool around with. However it's no good for jazzy things so I recently bought XLN with their jazz packs since it's on sale at Sweetwater. I'll says it's ok, I wish there was a great variety of grooves, they are all pretty same-y. Maybe I need to pick up some MIDI packs for other genres for the kind of stuff I want to do...

The automatic variations interface is really cool though

Speaking of which, are there any decent “band in a box” software packages available nowadays? Something I could just fire up, set style/key/tempo and improvise over with minimal fuss?

If you're into jazz and that kind of thing then iReal Pro is a great app for just punching in some chord progressions and getting a decent backing track going. I often export it into MIDI and load it up in Logic Pro to switch the instruments up for better ones.. with some editing I've actually used it as a backing track for some recordings.

100% agreed on the hi-hats!!!! Doesn’t matter how I EQ them, they sound like they’re from a John Bonham kit. I want a set of Dyno-Beats and a set of 13” K/Z’s!

I'd like to see more kits with Sabian HHX Evolution cymbals. After years of using the Allaire, Avatar and Hit Factory kits, nothing else feels quite right for my tastes. Meinl doesn't particularly impress me and every other Toontrack expansion is chock full of them.

For me, XLN midi packs and their song maker and midi transformer are really Unique tools that toontrack doesn’t have and I don’t think BFD3 does it either - at this point the clear independent 3rd party winners are SD3 (toontrack; EZD2) and XLN [SSD is a great VST but more on EZD2 level and they are bargain basement options, not bad, but great value to do the job easy and quick but def simple]..... so using that info I looked online specifically for XLN AD2 vs SD3 and I was surprised by the results. Most people voted for XLN in “blind tests” on other sites, almost the exact opposite of what these results yielded for only those two respective options; oddly enough the rest of the voting seems to be almost the same.

to me this was very interesting to see, very surprising polls, but then again, if soundkit tweakability and fine kit tuning is the reason then that also explains why an FAS forum would rather have that options rather than a stronger general MIDI/groove station .

That’s the biggest difference and issue to me all other and else aside, as I do think XLNs preset kits are the best out of the box sounding for my taste , their midi and song editing “transform” is much easier and very good compared to everything else (except Jamstix) but I know toontrack doesn’t do it, BFD sort of has a “jam” option where it will randomize groove patterns during playback in a certain set of grooves, but it’s cumbersome and not quite certain how to affect the variables,’ so out of the “Big 3” or Clearly the top 3 independent companies(toontrack, fxpansion, and XLN) the best programming and coding is for XLN and GUI .

its almost fascinating to me how this reflects my own empirical evidence of Supporting an observation which is basically you have SSD and EZD2; then you have XLN and then you have BFD3 and SD3 and finally you have much more specific , smaller devs like Jamstix, MDrummer vs avid air strike 2 (which sucks) and steinberg Groove agent 5 (which is as good as BFD3 to me)are trying to emulate the AI of Apple Logic drummer, which again reflects the superiority of steinberg to avid, which was another substantiating little tertiary result but ; finally steinerg tried to match Logic but GA5 isn’t close to Drummer, nothing is.

[and the definitive virtual drummer that’s proprietary and stand alone to Logic but not only is Logic Drummer Mac only they are in a different league all alone]

So really without Logic in the mix since it’s not really fair that Windows can’t compete with a proprietary OS X audio unit, it became clear depending on the camp, most metal and rock guitarists with less midi savvy and programming ability but like out of the box premade kits tend to prefer XLN, whereas guitarists who know their way around making and tweaking a drumKit like an actual (VST) and aren’t concerned about midi, whether it be groove packs or self made, prefer SD3s ability for sound customization

very interesting indeed: which is why i just purchased XLN AD2 w/ metal + United heavy + studio rock + black velvet ad paks with the midi paks and got the whole bundle combo for $93!!! That value and package would win in a wallet test against any of these, as I’ll literally never need another metal adpak or kit.

what actually was the biggest question that came out of this is will XLN make an Addictive 3 anytime soon; imho clearly not: their middle of the road price and bundle option make them the most economical and efficient company too, (fxpansion and toontrack are such messy software coders) so they don’t need to fix it if it ain’t broke - so they started doing new, cool things like addictive trigger or XO drums , so while I’m guessing an AD3 isn’t coming out soon, that’s Because Their programmers are working on a synthesis of XO, Trigger AND addictive to make a super SD3 killer AD3, but that’ll take another 5 years of R&D based on what I’ve seen and demoed with trigger and Xo.

anyway this was a very very helpful and enlightening thread and revealed a lot of things I thought but couldn’t prove and also taught me things I wasn’t aware of

a lot of extrapolations on evidence and variables and preferences that might’ve been unique to my own thoughts started to form but hey; it definitely opened my mind about possibilities and how to go about making my drums and what tools to use

thanks for all of your feedback and review

If you can find a drummer who is a) not in 5 different bands, b) has money for gas to make it to the gig, c) shows up to practice, d) doesn't try to hit on your girlfriend, e) learns the fracking song and can play to a click, then that's the best option, sure.
You forgot option f) drummer doesn't show up to the practice/session sloppy drunk.

Back
Top Bottom