What is your favorite IR Cab Pack/Pack's?

DaveO

Fractal Fanatic
Hey everyone, I have been sifting through some of the threads in the AX8 discussions looking for inspiration on what my first cab IR's I'll purchase, I have about $100.00 bucks to burn on it and hoped a some of you could take the time to chime in on your favorite IR's... Thanks in advance....

You can't go wrong with the new Celestionplus IRs. They are excellent, and cheap.
The Ownhammer MAR-CB 4x12 is a good one. Also the Ownhammer DLXRVB 1x12 for cleans.
I have one Fractal pack and it's the Obot The Robot. It's got some very nice IRs in it too.

You can't go wrong with the new Celestionplus IRs. They are excellent, and cheap.
The Ownhammer MAR-CB 4x12 is a good one. Also the Ownhammer DLXRVB 1x12 for cleans.
I have one Fractal pack and it's the Obot The Robot. It's got some very nice IRs in it too.

Thanks Clint for taking the time to respond and help me influence my skin budget! Your response is what I was expecting from the post,
Cheers DaveO

IRs for which amp? What style of music?
Hey there Smittefar hope your doing well....my post was more of a generic poll to the community to help me gauge who is actually using IRs and what ones they use and like or are the favorite and are good to throw some coin to not nessarsly based on my own preferences and amp compatibility, I appreciate the gradual questioning, so with that said. Feel free to chime in... cheers DaveO

I have not CTP, do you recommend it do you use it in your signature tone? That may be personal question but just trying to justify my skinny budget. Cheers DaveO

Dave, I just started playing with IRs and the dials of the cab block. As many have said before this is a rabbit hole. Just load two IRs into a stereo cab block, pan both center and change the delay on one of them. It opens a vast range of sounds. This led me to the decision to not buy a cab pack but first try the factory stuff and see what it can do for me.

Hey there Smittefar hope your doing well....my post was more of a generic poll to the community to help me gauge who is actually using IRs and what ones they use and like or are the favorite and are good to throw some coin to not nessarsly based on my own preferences and amp compatibility, I appreciate the gradual questioning, so with that said. Feel free to chime in... cheers DaveO
I have almost everything offered by cabir.eu. It's great, lots of classic Marshall tones. Then I have an OH VX212 with a celestion blue and a blackback. It's also great. Right now, my guilty pleasure is the ModeFour cab from Cabir.eu. It is extremely punchy.

I am very happy with the ownhammer 212-GTR_MAR-66 multi speaker package... 64 different speakers in a 2x12... very usable for all styles.

This question is impossible to answer to if you don't really tell us what style of music you play! Valhallir.at, Ownhammer.com and the official Fractal IRs cover a wide variety of styles. If you like Marshall cabs, cabir.eu offers a really great collection, if you like (vintage) Marshall cabs.

I'd say look for free bundles of IR producers to get a first impression. Then make a choice and get the full IR pack!

Valhallir.at free IRs
Ownhammer free IRs
(There are more out there, you'll find them!)

The CelestionPlus IRs are extremely good. Actually they're the best I've tried for what I need. And they're very good value.

The V30 free IR mix sounds very close to my actual 4x12 with V30s, so creating a dual-output live setup (real cab + FOH) is much simpler. They also seem to be free of the weird comb-filter-like effect present in a lot of IRs I've tried and have less bottom end woof. That means less time worrying about EQ.

To me, the bottom line is that there is great variety and quality in the factory cabs, so I started there. I know I like celestion blue and g12h30, and while the factory cabs have 5-10 of each, I bought a few packs, so now I have >100 of each

Totally agree that the Celestion Plus IRs are really good. To me they sound the most natural and are very close to what my celestion loaded cabs sound like when mic'd up. A lot of IRs out there sound too bassy or too bright and sizzly. Of course you can mix IRs to get a blend you like and I do that. But sometimes thats a rabbit hole I don't want to go down. The Celestion's sound very balanced, easy to do a quick mix with and have a midrange that a lot of others tend to lack. My $.02.

Back
Top Bottom