What is your favorite factory preset?

Bulldog50

Inspired
I know most of you guys on this forum are pros or semi-pros and probably use your own custom presets, but do any of you have a go to factory preset that you use for practicing? I kind of like EJ Clean. I have not been able to create a clean preset that I like better than that.

I scrapped them all and started from scratch. Not because they're not good, but because I'm impatient: I knew what I wanted and it was just quicker to build than to hunt for suitable factory presets.When I first got the Axe FX I went through maybe the first seven before I said fuck it, I'm going to start over.

Also easier to start simply and build up the complexity slowly.

I recently started a tagging process on all my presets including the factory presets. Here is a short list of presets that in my opinion have a really great clean tone in at least one of the scenes:

Freeway Jam
CA3+
In a Fixx
Petrucci Rig
JM45 Blues Lead
Plexi 50W
Rainy Nights III
Solo 88
Solo 100
USA Mk IV
Studio Clean
Vibrato Deluxe
Super Verb
Vibrato Verb

Checkout the Studio Clean I really dig that one. Just a really nice bare bones clean dialed in. I am attaching a screen shot of my tagging so you can see some of what I've been tagging things with. Hoping some day this sort of thing will be a part of the AxeEdit software but until then I do it outside of AxeEdit.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 2.35.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 2.35.36 PM.png
    414.9 KB · Views: 136
Studio Clean
100%. Great preset, and probably the only “normal” preset I like. As far as pure amp sounds go, I make my own. But there are some neat weirdo presets that I stumbled upon every now and again. Warped Vinyl was my favorite on the II. Not sure if it made it to the III.

I recently started a tagging process on all my presets including the factory presets. Here is a short list of presets that in my opinion have a really great clean tone in at least one of the scenes:

Freeway Jam
CA3+
In a Fixx
Petrucci Rig
JM45 Blues Lead
Plexi 50W
Rainy Nights III
Solo 88
Solo 100
USA Mk IV
Studio Clean
Vibrato Deluxe
Super Verb
Vibrato Verb

Checkout the Studio Clean I really dig that one. Just a really nice bare bones clean dialed in. I am attaching a screen shot of my tagging so you can see some of what I've been tagging things with. Hoping some day this sort of thing will be a part of the AxeEdit software but until then I do it outside of AxeEdit.
Thanks for the list.

100%. Great preset, and probably the only “normal” preset I like. As far as pure amp sounds go, I make my own. But there are some neat weirdo presets that I stumbled upon every now and again. Warped Vinyl was my favorite on the II. Not sure if it made it to the III.

Well... since I've been a tagging maniac I went ahead and made a list of everything I've tagged as "SFX" for a "Special Effect". @Bulldog50 If anyone recommends any of these they are having some fun with you but they do all present a really great way to learn how to do some crazy stuff with the AxeFx!

@Brian Angiel Warped Vinyl made it. If you are a Star Trek fan you have to checkout "Final Frontier 3"

A Kind of Dream.syx
Arpeggiator Mness (B Min).syx
Ascension.syx
Asian Documentary.syx
Black Hole.syx
By Your Command.syx
Clockwork Banana.syx
Corbomite Maneuver.syx
Crystal Scions.syx
Detuned Descent.syx
Dream Sequence.syx
Final Frontier 3.syx
Fifths in Space.syx
Flashback.syx
Flippin' Switch.syx
Forlorn.syx
Horror Movie.syx
Intrigue (C Min).syx
Lazy Man's Arp.syx
Meet the Cytherians.syx
Melancholia.syx
Music Box 2.syx
Night Creatures.syx
Organic.syx
Pentalizer III.syx
Phenomena.syx
Pitchmod Trem.syx
Poltergeist Pig.syx
Rush Hour.syx
Satan's Hollow.syx
Syncopated 2.syx
The Abyss.syx
The Jupiter 2.syx
The Planets 2.syx
The Wood Nymphs.syx
Traffic Jam.syx
TZF Flanger.syx
Valentine's Massacre.syx
Wrped Vinyl 2.0.syx
Year of the City 2274.syx

My default preset is a carry over from the Ultra called Subway Verb with the Reverb cut back. But consistently through out the different models for a stock preset I love Dual Clean.

Unlike ANY other modeller I've owned (and that's quite a few), when I'm looking for a sound I can browse through the Axefx presets and always find a good musical sounding starting point for what I want to do. Fractal obviously expends significant effort to provide customers with a good quality set of factory presets. Most modellers don't have this, even the good ones, I have found, will often skimp on the presets effort (kind of inexplicable as that's what can show off the capability of the product).

I built all my band presets from scratch on my AFX 2, and then used those as a guideline when I got the AFX 3. I still like to scroll through all the factory presets from time to time though, just to get ideas and to see some of the capabilities in this magic box. That said, last week someone sent me a rough mix of a song they're working on, and they wanted me to come up with a couple of quick guitar tracks. (Sort of an audition before they hire me to do some session work for them.) For no specific reason, I opened up the Solo 100 preset, added a second Plex Delay, and was good to go with only minor BMT tweaks for both clean and dirty sounds. The new client loved the parts I added and complimented me on the tone.

Most factory presets from Axe III sounds bad to me, and I quickly lose patience... Their volumes are super un-normalized, one preset could be dead quiet while the next is deafening loud. Many of them sounds over-boomy in the low end on my tele and strat. I think Fractal is no exception to the phenomenon of "modeler factory presets sounds bad out of box".

After importing my own IR and some quick tweaking, my patch quickly outshines any factory patch I auditioned.

Most factory presets from Axe III sounds bad to me, and I quickly lose patience... Their volumes are super un-normalized, one preset could be dead quiet while the next is deafening loud. Many of them sounds over-boomy in the low end on my tele and strat. I think Fractal is no exception to the phenomenon of "modeler factory presets sounds bad out of box".

After importing my own IR and some quick tweaking, my patch quickly outshines any factory patch I auditioned.
First, fractal does NOT level the presets like you would for your own at a gig. Many, if not the majority are meant to show off the fabulous FX and versatility.
I have always enjoyed the factory presets and always (since 2009) found quite a few to tweak and use.
Depends on the player and setup I guess. That's not a "dig" btw!
This has been discussed to death for every Fractal made since 2008......Some like em, some don't. That's cool!
But sound bad? Nope......

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom