What is your approach when making new patches?

Are you switching IR's live? What do you mean when you say you "use IRs to turn on/off Chorus, Flange, Drive etc" ?
It’s a “feature” of Apple’s spell checker. You type IA and it changes it when you’re not looking. You should see what else it does with British English spelling. Yesterday “grammar” ended up as “grimier”

I only build presets for songs that need one. I use the same 2 stock IR's for cabs and the same 3 or 4 amp models I use for everything. I don't bother auditioning other IR's or amps, because I've chosen my sound, I tried all the IR's and I'm satisfied with the ones I chose. They're all saved using global blocks for easy access, so building the preset is usually very pretty straightforward with some tweaking required to get the volumes right. Scene layout depends on the song, but can be anything between 1 and the full 8, depending on how crazy I want to go on the FX.

Do you find yourself using more effects with the Axe FX? I’ve noticed on a lot of the demo videos people are using a lot of effects it sounds like the late 1980’s all over again.

I love the quality of them and while I used to spend at least an hour a day programming effects back in the day I don’t use them very much now.
I’ve been meaning to get around to exploring the synth, pitch shifting, bit crushing and trying some atypical stuff.

I start with the end result in mind. First thing I do is consider the amp I want to try. Next, I pair it with a cabinet. I use Yek’s guide to get cab suggestions. It is indispensable. Once I have the amp and the cabinet paired, I get them dialed in, and then tackle the cab cuts. Next, I dial in the compression. Once I get all of that set, then I move on to the effects.

Yek’s guide is a great resource for a lot of things specifically finding a proper IR.

What kind of compression are you talking about?
The audio compressor, compression in the Advanced parameters of the power amp?

Do you find yourself using more effects with the Axe FX? I’ve noticed on a lot of the demo videos people are using a lot of effects it sounds like the late 1980’s all over again.

I love the quality of them and while I used to spend at least an hour a day programming effects back in the day I don’t use them very much now.
I’ve been meaning to get around to exploring the synth, pitch shifting, bit crushing and trying some atypical stuff.

It’s an easy rabbit hole to fall into, especially with how much flexibility the Axe has in terms of FX options. That said the only time I really do the 80s-as-hell drenched thing is when I’m either going specifically for those particular 80s tones or when I’m looking for an FX-centric ambient patch.

For my own recording tones my rhythms are always 100% dry, I just use a bit of reverb and occasional delay on cleans and leads, and beyond that I don’t use any reverb at all in a live environment just to keep things from gettting washy. I get comments about my tone being too dry far more often than the other end of the spectrum, haha.

Yek’s guide is a great resource for a lot of things specifically finding a proper IR.

What kind of compression are you talking about?
The audio compressor, compression in the Advanced parameters of the power amp?
Great question. I usually start by putting a compressor in the signal chain. That way I can turn it on or off if desired. If that still does not sound very good, then I will turn to the dynamics in the amp block.

I LOVE using FX. That's my main reason why I got the II. Using FX always interested me a million times more then amp tones. I always worshipped at The Edge's altar of delay and shimmer, and my 10 year stint in a Radiohead tribute has given me even more love of FX and noise. My pedal board became HUGE over the years, I was always on the lookout for new sounds, the only thing I didn't like was having to tap dance and adjust pedals between and during songs. I could solve the first somewhat with a whole series of DIY loopers that I built over the years, but the latter remained. So I hungered, no, craved presets. Which was what finally led me to the Axe.

And this is why I only use the barest of amp and cab models, and shitloads of FX. And if that is a throwback to the 80's then bring on the Delorean because the 80's were awesome and we can use some awesomeness again. Make Rock Awesome Again!

I LOVE using FX. That's my main reason why I got the II. Using FX always interested me a million times more then amp tones. I always worshipped at The Edge's altar of delay and shimmer, and my 10 year stint in a Radiohead tribute has given me even more love of FX and noise. My pedal board became HUGE over the years, I was always on the lookout for new sounds, the only thing I didn't like was having to tap dance and adjust pedals between and during songs. I could solve the first somewhat with a whole series of DIY loopers that I built over the years, but the latter remained. So I hungered, no, craved presets. Which was what finally led me to the Axe.

And this is why I only use the barest of amp and cab models, and shitloads of FX. And if that is a throwback to the 80's then bring on the Delorean because the 80's were awesome and we can use some awesomeness again. Make Rock Awesome Again!
Sounds good and I love FX too!

Radiohead the Edge, Cocteau Twins were very creative with their use of FX, they were almost another instrument.

My disparaging comments about them were directed at the high gain, 2290, PCM 70, H 3000 variety which got old for me pretty fast. Those were amazing units but were mostly used for very generic sounds.
I was producing an album in the early 90s and I asked the Guitar Player on the session who had a 20 space rack full of all the best gear “Wow how do you like your Eventide H 3000 I bet you use it for all kinds of really cool stuff? He says “I just bought for pitch detune 7 cents sharp and 7 cents flat”

I say “Is that it?“ “Yup”

What a waste.

I’m looking forward to delving deep into the FX side of the Fractal myself.

Sounds good and I love FX too!

Radiohead the Edge, Cocteau Twins were very creative with their use of FX, they were almost another instrument.

My disparaging comments about them were directed at the high gain, 2290, PCM 70, H 3000 variety which got old for me pretty fast. Those were amazing units but were mostly used for very generic sounds.
I was producing an album in the early 90s and I asked the Guitar Player on the session who had a 20 space rack full of all the best gear “Wow how do you like your Eventide H 3000 I bet you use it for all kinds of really cool stuff? He says “I just bought for pitch detune 7 cents sharp and 7 cents flat”

I say “Is that it?“ “Yup”

What a waste.

I’m looking forward to delving deep into the FX side of the Fractal myself.

Man, if I had a H3000 I would have SO abused the living shit out of that thing. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom